This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Window decorations in Kubuntu 15.04 Alpha and Plasma 5 [5.2]

It seems that the recent update of Kubuntu 15.04 Alpha 2 broke window decorations for some (including me):

http://askubuntu.com/questions/57634...rations/580290

I fixed like this:

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure kwin
    dpkg-reconfigure: kwin is broken or not fully installed
    $ sudo apt-get install kwin

And probably Kubuntu 15.04 Beta will fix it too.

BTW, congrats on Plasma 5. It's amazing.

I installed vivid on a revived laptop yesterday and updated it, noticing that it wanted to remove kwin. Oddly on my daily driver Vivid system, this did not happen. This sort of thing can occur when there are packages that have not finished building or migrating out to the servers, or there was a build failure on a package in the queue. This can happen a lot during the devel cycle.

This is why I recommend pre-release users use apt to update the system, as this sort of thing is fairly common and is easily seen, which allows for investigation and asking around if it a problem or not

Comment

I think the upgrade from 5.1.95 to 5.2.0 didn't deal well with the transition from 3 of the libkwin*5 files to libkwin*6 versions.

Apt (and aptitude) did the sensible thing, but as you say, you needed to be paying attention that kwin was uninstalled.

I also learned that I've been pronouncing kwin wrong: "KWin (pronounced as one syllable "kwin") is the window manager ..."

Comment

well im in kubuntu 14.10 with kde 4 and my window decorations do not work correctly at all i cannot resize windows or move them for that matter. I tried the method you described and it reported:

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure kwin
        dpkg-query: package 'kwin' is not installed and no information is available
        Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
        and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
        /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: kwin is not installed

so if kwin isn't installed who's running the show? this is weird. Any suggestions would be welcome

Thank you

Violet

Comment

Did you $ sudo apt install kwin ?

Comment

yep

$ sudo apt-get install kwin
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree
            Reading state information... Done
            Package kwin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
            This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
            is only available from another source

E: Package 'kwin' has no installation candidate

Comment

I don't have a 14.10 install handy to look at, so take this with a grain of salt:

Maybe you need the /next-backports PPA?

I'm not closely following the 14.10 discussions, but I believe that is the recommended PPA to be using for Plasma 5 on Utopic.

Comment

im not using plasma 5 im on 4 and i already add the repository however it was not helpful. Thank for replying though

Comment

I assumed you were trying to run Plasma 5 since that is the thread topic.

You shouldn't use the /next-backports PPA if you aren't trying to run Plasma 5.

Comment

gotcha i just figured it was related as the same operational issue is happening to me as well even in plasma 4

Comment

Mine accepted the kwin install, there after locked up solid at log in. I'm gonna wait a week then re-install.

Too bad too, because it was really quick even with the nouveau driver.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X