X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SB XFi Platinum not default soundcard and no sound at all

Hi there hope someone can help
    I can't remember what I had before but my Creative Soundcard was working fine

Since the upgrade, system settings default to Built-in sound and I have to select my card manually. But then when I test, speakers make a clicking sound but no melody

Then when I reboot, system defaults to built=in sound again

At present I have no sound playback at all

Have googled various threads and tried installing ALSA but no further forward

Grateful for your advice

Cheers

R
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Viva Kubuntu!!
    Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
    KDE 4.7.1

HI Just wondering if anyone has any ideas ?
    Viva Kubuntu!!
    Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
    KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Originally posted by webheadjunky View Post
      I can't remember what I had before but my Creative Soundcard was working fine
      Not sure what this means, can you explain further what you mean by "had before"?
      Since the upgrade, system settings
      What update are you referring too, a Kubuntu update or hardware update?

If the card is recongnized, what happens when you "test" it (Left and Right) in the system settings? Anything? Did you check the proper profile output is being used?

What does running the terminal app "alsamixer" tell you about the sound card?

Comment

Hi thanks for the response and apologies for not being clear

I have been a happy Kununtu user for several years and added the soundcard 2 years ago. I meant to say I can't remember what software settings I had before

When I upgraded to the latest version of Kubuntu, (incidentally for info I also added the Plasma 5 desktop), my soundcard settting shave been lost

When I go to System settings and the first "Device Preference" tab "SB X-Fi (X-Fi Platinum) Digital Stereo IEC958" is listed at the top of the list along with "Built in Audio Analogue Stereo" further down the list.

However, when I go to the next "Audio Hardware" tab, the built in device is default. If I change to my X-Fi card, and there are a number of variant options in the drop down, all I get for each variant are clicking noises when I click on the speaker test

Alsa mixer correctly identifies the X-Fi sound card

Grateful for your advice

Cheers

Raaj
        Viva Kubuntu!!
        Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
        2Gb RAM
        Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
        KDE 4.7.1

Comment

hmmm, Could it be hardware related like a cord or loose pci card?
          You can see your update history by opening Muon Update Manager >> click "More" (bottom left) >> Advanced >> History.
          Are there updates there related to sound?

Comment

HI. It's not physical as I have Windoze on the same machine and sound works fine, As for sound related updates...well..I have been doing all sorts over the past couple of weeks to get this sorted. The thing is it didn't work from the outset. To be honest I shouldn't have said upgrade. I tried upgrade and then after I installed Plasma 5 all I was getting was a white screen after boot. So I did a fresh re-install on the logical partition for Linux and that is why my original sound settings were wiped. I see the "backend" now is Phonon Gstreamer. I can't remember if it was something else before...
            (
            Viva Kubuntu!!
            Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
            2Gb RAM
            Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
            KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Hi thanks for the response and apologies for not being clear
              However, when I go to the next "Audio Hardware" tab, the built in device is default. If I change to my X-Fi card, and there are a number of variant options in the drop down, all I get for each variant are clicking noises when I click on the speaker test
              that is not how the audio hardware tab works. there is no defalut shown. its only to allow you to configure a given card. you should also be able to test that each device is working in that kcm. you can also change the cards mode from 2 channel to 5.1 or what ever it supports. for instance i use my built in audio and output to the optical i have to select that as a specific mode then i get sound. also in alsamixer check taht you have nothing muted and i would try veromix widget and attempt to move an active audio stream to the device (using veromix you can also make it the default output.)
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks - Nothing muted as far as I can tell and I tried selecting it as default via Veromix. Also, I don't think I would get a cllcking sound if it was muted
                Viva Kubuntu!!
                Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                2Gb RAM
                Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Closing this off - have decided to wipe install and start again with Netrunner instead

Cheers

R
                  Viva Kubuntu!!
                  Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                  2Gb RAM
                  Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                  KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Working...
                  X