This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma 5

Has anyone tried plasma 5? Stupid question. Someone here has. What should I know before installing it? I will be installing it on an extra computer I have laying around. It handles everything from kubuntu 14.04 to windows 10 with no problem.

There really isn't much to say, really. I run Vivid on my laptop, and Utopic with Plasma 5 on my XBMC box. There are going to be some issues if you run Vivid, as not only are you using Plasma 5, but also testing versions of everything else as well, for the most part. But for KDE things, in either 14.10 04 m15.04, there are still some glitches such as freeze and desktop crashes on my end, mostly on Vivid, however. There are a number of System SettingsSettings modules not yet available - bluetooth config (but this can be found running BlueDevil), Color Management, and Kdeconnect come to mind.

So, basically it is like running an Alpha version of an OS - relatively safe usable but expect gremlins from day to day. Run a live session and check it out. It does look different, but it doesn't really work differently.

Comment

It ran quite slow on my dedicated mess with linux box. So, I put trusty back on it. Will still play with it in a virtualbox machine on the other more powerful computer though

Comment

I just burned two ISOs, one of 14.10 stable, and one 14.10 plasma5. I couldn't get the plasma 5 version to boot. I'm currently in the other live disc session.

Plasma5 dvd hung on some /var/lib/init-d- something with "saned" not being able to load... and didn't do anything after that.

Now I am kinda afraid to install this version and then run that update thing that will install plasma5. This laptop is my lifeblood. At least wifi immediately works!!!

Must say I am using an untested (for booting) usb dvd drive, but when loading 14.10 stable I used the internal DVD drive.

It's like a 12" laptop but it has an optical . I can try loading 14.10_plasma5 again, but I'm afraid it has nothing to do with the dvd drive..

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
          I just burned two ISOs, one of 14.10 stable, and one 14.10 plasma5. I couldn't get the plasma 5 version to boot. I'm currently in the other live disc session.

Plasma5 dvd hung on some /var/lib/init-d- something with "saned" not being able to load... and didn't do anything after that.

Now I am kinda afraid to install this version and then run that update thing that will install plasma5. This laptop is my lifeblood. At least wifi immediately works!!!

Must say I am using an untested (for booting) usb dvd drive, but when loading 14.10 stable I used the internal DVD drive.

It's like a 12" laptop but it has an optical . I can try loading 14.10_plasma5 again, but I'm afraid it has nothing to do with the dvd drive..
          saned has something to do with the scanner. You may have a bad iso. if you have a thumbdrive 4Gb or larger, download YUMI from pendrivelinux.com and a fresh copy of 14.10 with plasma 5

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
            saned has something to do with the scanner. You may have a bad iso. if you have a thumbdrive 4Gb or larger, download YUMI from pendrivelinux.com and a fresh copy of 14.10 with plasma 5
            Yes, the iso hangs at that spot, but saned is not the issue, nor is it a bad download/burn/write-to-disk. Some have it not boot, others have it hang for a while before it goes on (some minutes iirc, for me). The error (more a warning, actually) is simply that some part of the boot process is looking for saned which is for networked scanners. it isn't running by default. This is simply the last thing that is visible on the screen when it hangs. I suggest letting it sit for a few minutes to see if it moves on and boots.

I don't think the plasma 5 iso is kept up to date, so it is probably much easier and a lot less painful to install a normal 14.10 and then install plasma 5. If you just want to check out a live session or run a VM, trying 15.04 is a no-brainer.

Do note that installing Plasma 5 on Utopic is very likely going to break upgrading to Vivid; upgrading this combo to 15.04 is not supported.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Do note that installing Plasma 5 on Utopic is very likely going to break upgrading to Vivid; upgrading this combo to 15.04 is not supported.
              I didn't realize this. Glad I decided to just bite the bullet and install Vivid over the weekend.

Comment

Currently sitting in a live session of 15.04. Plasma 5. I wrote some about it in the Kate thread I made.

It looks great, but I don't think there is anything to it that makes it usuable.

Still, nice to have had a shot at it or have seen the way it looks. I'll stick to Plasma 4 for now though, if I ever do.

I've wanted this laptop to be Linux for whatever reason I do not know, but I don't like Windows 7 as much either.

There is a lot of things in 7 that frustrate the hell out of me. The thumbnail previews of every explorer window. The fact that there is no good file search by default. The Network Center or whatever that has been revamped in order to make it impossible to find your way. The start menu in which searching with typed text is the only way to use it, period. The configuration panel for which goes almost exactly the same, when you do not use a typed search, it is meant to frustrate the hell out of you because it is just not designed as a menu.

Your'e not supposed to not use search.

Windows 8 I think is or has the future, but it hasn't been developed for more than perhaps 20% in 8.1. Those new fancy metro style config screens are but a thin wrapper around the still predominant Windows 7 menus and systems and dialogs. Pretty much useless. Not a bad or shabby idea, but just so very incomplete. Barely usable right out of the box. Hardly anything that *I* have a use for, in any case. But what I see now from KDE Plasma5 is nothing that catches my eye - not that it is very different from plasma4, just the contrasts are ruined. I haven't seen anything innovative. Actually it seems way less usable than KDE 10 years ago.

Just looks a bit better (or a lot) but I am getting rather disappointed now. I do not even know *why* I want linux on this box since I am even intending to send it back to its maker (seller) or get rid of it in another way.

It just seems like the most fancy thing to do .

The prospects of software development or network management though far seem to exceed or 'outdo' those of staying with Windows 7, at least. And it is no time for me to be spending (more) money on that rotten experiment that is Windows 8 today.

But the question is still for me what flavour of Linux to use. It can't be Debian since I only want that as a server. It has to be Ubuntu. But I'm a bit bored with Ubuntu Unity. There doesn't seem to be anything really remarkable. I don't think anything will be able to beat KDE's visuals, but I don't really like the idea of just installing Kubuntu 14.10.

I have a (purchased) dvd of Ubuntu 14.10 here, but I don't like it, for some reason I want to send it back.

There is Lubuntu, which I haven't checked. But I think I am going to go with a weird route nonetheless, if you want to call it that.

I am going to install Ubuntu Server and then get a desktop environment of KDE on it. And it is going to be Plasma5 just for kicks and to see what I can tweak. It has been a long time since I've been able to have fun with computers.... ;-(.

Wish me luck ;-).
                Last edited by xennex81; Jan 27, 2015, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X