This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with multi boot system

Hello, I sorta newish to Linux. I have 13.04 installed, and want to upgrade to 14.10 64bit, but I have a multi boot system. My PC has two HDDs that I am booting from. The first disk has Vista 32 bit, and an open partition I will be installing Windows 7 64bit on. The other disk had Linux 13.04 32bit, and I want to upgrade it to 14.10 64bit. I was thinking about disconnecting my Linux drive, and installing Windows 7 on the free partition. Then I was going to reconnect the drive and run Kubuntu install to upgrade Linux and reistablish Grub.

My questions are: Does it make sense to do it that way?

And... Can I do the Linux upgrade without hurting my files?

I also have two Radeon 5750 cards using crossfire installed. Will I need to do anything special to get them working in the new Linux install?

Oh, and what will happen to my programs I already have installed in Linux?

My Linux partitions are setup like this:

/root
    /swap
    /home
    /data

Upgrading 13.04 to 14.10 can be problematic and a long process as you have to do it from 13.04 to 13.10 to 14.04 and finally 14.10.
    Upgrading from a 32 to a 64-bit is not going to work anyway.

But because you were so smart to insall with a separate /home partition it's going to be easy to do a new install of 14.10.
    Just make sure you DON'T format that /home and /data and all should be peachy.

But like anything 'computer' it is wise to first make a back up of the content.

During the install of Kubuntu the two MS installs should be automatically recognised and added to the Grub boot menu.

Your data should be safe but your programs will need reinstallation.
    As most configurations will be in the /home partition a reinstall of the application should find and reuse them.

Comment

Working...
    X