This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To restore 'find' functionality in Dolphin simply disable baloo

I have several Kubuntu installs, some updated from earlier versions (going back as far as Kubuntu 5.10), a couple of fresh installs. I've had some issues with Trusty Kubuntu & KDE 4.13, mostly not big deals, like various problems with using slideshows for desktop backgrounds. But one that really ticked me off was that the Find/Search functionality in dolphin was broken. Sometimes it worked, mostly it didn't, it just looked at me like a dog who'd just been shown a card trick when I tried to search for files. I tried restarting and reinstalling and adding extra elements to baloo, and sometimes it worked in some directories, some times, but mostly it didn't and baloo indexing sometimes brought my system to its knees trying to process multiple hard drives & network shares.

But I was thrilled to find that if I disabled Desktop Search in systemsettings the 'Find' button worked again just like it had in 12.04! Not only that, highlighting files with dolphin now gave me thumbnails again (that had varied from machine to machine, probably it didn't work where I had baloo enabled).

I guess I previously reflexively and automatically disabled semantic search in 12.04, the whole nepomuck/akonadi/whatever... complex used tons of resources, generated huge indexes and NEVER, EVER were of any use whatsoever. I don't use the KDE PIM stuff or Kmail, I don't think many people do, I don't tag or add comments to my files, I don't keep all of my files on a single machine, and even on a specific machine, stuff doesn't all live in my ~/home directory, all the pre-suppositions that the KDE developers make about how Linux users use their machines are wrong, wrong, wrong. But I didn't disable baloo because it seemed to have a smaller footprint on my machine, even though it was equally useless as the previous generation semantic search.

I was really looking forward to KDE4, but it didn't become really usable until 4.4 or so, I held on to Debian Lenny & Ubuntu 8.04 as long as I could to keep KDE3, which is still my all-time favorite desktop. Now I'm dreading KDE5. Oh well.

Ubuntu changed the default CPU scheduler from CFQ to deadline a few releases ago. However, the deadline scheduler absolutely crushes Baloo on systems with rotating drives (not SSDs), especially when it's creating a fresh index. You can return to the CFQ scheduler by adding the entry elevator=cfq inside the quotes after GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub. Don't forget to run update-grub after you change this.
    Last edited by SteveRiley; Dec 02, 2014, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      However, the deadline scheduler absolutely crushes Baloo on systems with rotating drives (not SSDs), especially when it's creating a fresh index.
      Can you explain this? What improvement (if any??) would I gain on my non-SSD laptops if I switched from deadline to CFS?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

CFQ, still the upstream kernel default scheduler, places I/O requests into queues based on approximate location on the disk. The goal is to minimize seek time, thus reducing storage latency. Items in the queues can also contain a priority marking; higher priority requests will be honored first.

Deadline takes an alternate approach and places a time limit on how long each request can wait. Deadline is intended for workloads that are extensively multithreaded (like more than two or three) and for databases. Crucially, deadline ignores priority markings. This matters, as you'll learn in a moment.

Ubuntu switched from CFQ to deadline to solve nagging performance problems in Unity. Unity would become unresponsive on systems with a lot of I/O because its queues would starve. Canonical could have implemented ionice to declare a higher priority for Unity disk I/O, but instead they chose the simple hammer of switching to deadline. Now, Unity's I/O is guaranteed not to starve. However, by using a scheduler that ignores priority markings, other processes that want to run at low priority no longer can. Baloo is just such a process. It implements ionice idle and performs indexing only when the system isn't busy performing other tasks. The authors of Baloo assumed (rightfully) that distributions would be shipping with CFQ as the default scheduler. When Ubuntu switched to deadline, they broke all processes and services that rely on ionice for I/O priority. Baloo is now forced to do work even when it doesn't want to, and this will make your system perform poorly.

My recommendation: return to CFQ, as { Linus | $DEITY } intended.

Original finding:
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1310402

Request from Rohan to change Kubuntu's default from deadline to CFQ:
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1378789

Mailing list discussion:
        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux....l.kubuntu/8745
        http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux....l.kubuntu/8838

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

BTW, this is only a problem for Trusty. The Kubuntu team has already implemented the proposed fix in Utopic:
            Code:
            steve@t520:~$ [B]cat /etc/udev/rules.d/60-ssd-scheduler.rules[/B]
            ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="1",ATTR{queue/scheduler}="cfq"
            This little bit of Udev magic, courtesy the package kubuntu-settings-desktop, sets CFQ as the I/O scheduler for any rotational media present in the system, while leaving non-rotational media at the default of deadline. I don't know yet whether the change, which was approved for Trusty at the end of November, has migrated out of the proposed repository yet.

Here is a more complete Udev rule file, that explicitly sets deadline for solid-state media and CFQ for rotating media. The first and third rules test the value of /sys/block/sdX/queue/rotational and set the value of sys/block/sdX/queue/scheduler. 0 = deadline, 1 = CFQ. The second rule (reported in a number of places) supposedly improves the performance of deadline on SSDs. However, hdparm -tT didn't report any differences on my system.
            Code:
            # Set deadline scheduler for non-rotating disks
            ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="deadline"
            ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="0", ATTR{queue/iosched/fifo_batch}="1"
            # Set cfq scheduler for rotating disks
            ACTION=="add|change", KERNEL=="sd[a-z]", ATTR{queue/rotational}=="1", ATTR{queue/scheduler}="cfq"

Comment

That will speed up the "performance" of baloo indexing, but it will make no difference to any bugs in the code.

Baloo stopped returning useful results sometime ago for me and I just can't be bothered trying to figure it out any more. Its a total farce, Various devs have been promising it will be all real good real soon for years now.

I lost interest sometime last year when it became obvious that Vishesh was making arbitrary design decisions and was not in the slightestbit interested in listening to feedback, as per the debacle over "advanced" settings.
              Last edited by blackpaw; Dec 05, 2014, 06:37 AM.

Comment

If you want 'the best' search/find option in Dolphin, add Jean-Francois Dockes' ppa and install recoll and kio-recoll.

Current Recoll packages (default)

Comment

Hm. For me, Baloo is a major improvement over Nepomuk. Major in that it actually works as advertised. Admittedly, I never encountered the issue with Ubuntu's default of deadline on my machines, because I have mostly SSDs and always enforce CFQ on the few rotating drives I have. Baloo provides predictable and complete searches for me in Dolphin and at the command line.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    If you want 'the best' search/find option in Dolphin, add Jean-Francois Dockes' ppa and install recoll and kio-recoll.

Current Recoll packages (default)
                    to make this work @hear I had to install the recoll & kio-recoll from the PPA and then disable desktop search in system settings , after disabling desktop search in system settings dolphin defaulted to using recoll for a search
                    and dose it nicely

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      to make this work @hear I had to install the recoll & kio-recoll from the PPA and then disable desktop search in system settings , after disabling desktop search in system settings dolphin defaulted to using recoll for a search
                      and dose it nicely

VINNY
                      Not so here. I have both Desktop Search and Desktop Search Advanced enabled, and kio-recoll searches in Dolphin work just fine. You did build the Recoll search database after installing Recoll, yes?

How are you 'searching/finding' in Dolphin?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Not so here. I have both Desktop Search and Desktop Search Advanced enabled, and kio-recoll searches in Dolphin work just fine. You did build the Recoll search database after installing Recoll, yes?

How are you 'searching/finding' in Dolphin?
                        ?desktop search advanced ? I do not see this in system settings .................yes I built the recoll search database .

to search in dolphin I click the "find" icon in dolphin and type in the search term .

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Options...

?desktop search advanced ? I do not see this in system settings ....

Baloo links: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...71-Baloo-links
                          --> Desktop Search Advanced: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post350218
                          --> Desktop Search Advanced #2: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post360147

Last edited by OneLine; Dec 15, 2014, 04:32 AM.
                          Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                          - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

An observation... I installed that from the command line and it didn't appear in System Settings. Running sudo kbuildsycoca4 --global --noincremental fixed that. This command rebuilds the system configuration cache ("sycoca"), which includes items that appear in System Settings.

Comment

About kbuildsycoca4

The kbuildsycoca4 step should be automagick - http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...8/kded4.8.html :
                              DESCRIPTION
                              kded4 is responsible for creating the sycoca file, i.e. the binary
                              cache of servicetypes, mimetypes, and services for a particular user.

It monitors the directories containing .desktop files. When a file is
                              added/removed, it waits 5 seconds (in case of a series of updates), and
                              then launches kbuildsycoca4 to update the sycoca...

at here this is working but in the imperfect world this is not always working...http://askubuntu.com/questions/54321...r-installation
                              Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                              - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Working...
                              X