This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powersavings

Being stuck at an airport I tried my best to get the most out of the battery of my Thinkpad laptop.
    So I ran powertop and decided to change, by way of the BIOS settings from nVidia to Intel video.
    The typical power drain went from ~23 Watts with nVidia down to around 13-15 Watts with Intel, I would say that's significant!
    The result was I got nearly 5 hrs out of the battery of this almost 3 y/o W520.

Because it is over two years ago I stopped experimenting with Bumblebee I wonder does anyone have recent experience with that project?

Another question came up, changing this setting in the BIOS writes changes to it's memory, is there a chance of wearing out the BIOS memory?
    The last one is I noticed the TeamViewer daemon was running, where should I look to disable it's autostart?

Heh. A few days ago I switched my ThinkPad T520 from NVIDIA to Intel. Since I'm working completely from home now and my couch is my office, I don't have a nice desk with a multi-monitor setup, so no need for the NVIDIA really. The laptop runs much cooler and yes, uses less battery.

I never dabbled with trying to get switching to work. Prime has gained support for the proprietary driver (it used to be for Nouveau only), but it doesn't support on-demand switching. You have to use the NVIDIA settings panel to pick one or the other and restart the laptop. Bumblebee lets you pick which graphics chip to use. By default, applications will run on the Intel graphics; issuing primusrun $COMMAND starts the application on the NVIDIA graphics. You cannot have both Prime and Bumblebee installed simultaneously.

Don't worry about fimware writes. The NVRAM that stores that stuff is designed for manipulation. I've never heard of a worn-out NVRAM, heh.

In KDE, autostart files can be in muliple locations. Does the output of locate autostart provide any hints?

Comment

Working...
    X