Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Steve. Just followed your instructions. Worked perfectly.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
      A question--when I go into Firefox plugins, it says I have Shockwave Flash version 13.1.2.3, as well as the old 11.2.etc Shockwave Flash. Wasn't the old Flash uninstalled? And why does Firefox report Flash 13 when YouTube reports Flash 15?
      Did you follow step #1 and remove the old plugin first?

What's the output of
      Code:
      dpkg -l | grep -i flash

ll -R /usr/lib/mozilla

Comment

+1 worked nicely ,,,,,,,,,still wont play amazon prime instant video though

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I used the second line to uninstall flash, and it seemed to work. Here's what you requested:

Code:
          steve@steve-desktop:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i flash
          ii  flashplugin-installer                       11.2.202.418ubuntu0.14.04.1            amd64        Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
          ii  pepperflashplugin-nonfree                   1.3ubuntu1                             amd64        Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin

steve@steve-desktop:~$ ll -R /usr/lib/mozilla
          /usr/lib/mozilla:
          total 44
          drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 oct 26 20:57 ./
          drwxr-xr-x 144 root root 36864 nov 14 20:09 ../
          drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 nov 14 20:08 plugins/

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins:
          total 8
          drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 nov 14 20:08 ./
          drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 oct 26 20:57 ../
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   37 nov 11 21:46 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   54 nov  9 16:15 libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so -> ../../freshplayerplugin/libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so
          This doesn't tell me anything. By the way, it seems to work fine. I was just curious.
          Last edited by SteveRiley; Nov 16, 2014, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Thanks for this easy to follow instructions.

Comment

Thanks, Steve, your instructions worked perfectly.
              You're amazing, man!
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                I used the second line to uninstall flash, and it seemed to work.
                You need to run both lines. You still have the old flashplugin-installer package.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Thanks, Steve, your instructions worked perfectly.
                You're amazing, man!
                Aww *blush* Glad it's working for everyone so well.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post

Aww *blush* Glad it's working for everyone so well.
                  well it still wont play amazon prime video for me ,,,,,,but dosent try to update the player .......

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Amazon Instant Video is DRM-protected WMV wrapped in a Silverlight container. I think there's a way to get it via Flash, but you need to also install HAL -- a very ancient and now-deprecated abstraction layer for hardware.

Have a look here: http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%2...20on%20demand/

Comment

Running the hal daemon (hald) allowed me to play Amazon Prime Video with the older Flashplayer, but now that I've upgraded to the latest and greatest flashplayer APV won't play, even when hald is running. It spins the busy wheel for a few seconds and then quits without any msgs.

The newer flashplayer runs so well on YouTube and other sites I am going to keep it and not going to revert.

Another complaint I have about APV is that when you add movies to your watch later list and then connect to APV with your REGISTERED TV, the Vizo TV interface to APV doesn't give you access to your watch later list.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The instructions here worked perfectly, but I experienced poor playback performance and it tended to crash much more often. I guess I will be sticking with the older version.

I will celebrate when Adobe Flash is finally purged from the internet.

Comment

I have SilverLight installed. See below. I don't know how it works with Amazon because I don't use Amazon but I think it should work. It works for all the other Silverlight applications that need it. There is a Thread somewhere here on how to install.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_009.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	642602
                          Last edited by MoonRise; Nov 18, 2014, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            Amazon Instant Video is DRM-protected WMV wrapped in a Silverlight container. I think there's a way to get it via Flash, but you need to also install HAL -- a very ancient and now-deprecated abstraction layer for hardware.

Have a look here: http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%2...20on%20demand/
                            Aaa yes ,,,,,,HAL , I remember when it was the NEW way to have user mounted removable media auto mounted ......................ancient Huh

I just wander if installing it will have unforeseen consequence.

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              Aaa yes ,,,,,,HAL , I remember when it was the NEW way to have user mounted removable media auto mounted ......................ancient Huh

I just wander if installing it will have unforeseen consequence.

VINNY
                              When I had it installed it never interfered with anything. When I installed 14.04 I never installed HAL. This week, when trying to get the new flashplayer running with Amazon, I installed it. I saw the hald daemon, along with several other hal services in the processes list, but never noticed any difference in the operation of my 14.04. When APV didn't play I purged hal.

Comment

K ,,,,so it wont work (amazon prime video) in 14.04 with this updated flash player as posted @hear ,,,,,,,,,,,BUT in 14.10 with the stock player and doing this

Code:
                                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mjblenner/ppa-hal                                                                                               
                                [sudo] password for vinny:                                                                                                                                                
                                Sorry, try again.                                                                                                                                                         
                                [sudo] password for vinny:                                                                                                                                                
                                 Trying to keep HAL alive for a little longer, mostly because I watch flash videos that use DRM, and flash needs HAL for that to work.                                    
                                 More info: https://launchpad.net/~mjblenner/+archive/ubuntu/ppa-hal                                                                                                      
                                Press [ENTER] to continue or ctrl-c to cancel adding it                                                                                                                   

gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmp3ztlwgvu/secring.gpg' created                                                                                                                       
                                gpg: keyring `/tmp/tmp3ztlwgvu/pubring.gpg' created                                                                                                                       
                                gpg: requesting key BF7B8DAF from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com                                                                                                         
                                gpg: /tmp/tmp3ztlwgvu/trustdb.gpg: trustdb created                                                                                                                        
                                gpg: key BF7B8DAF: public key "Launchpad PPA for Michael Blennerhassett" imported
                                gpg: Total number processed: 1
                                gpg:               imported: 1  (RSA: 1)
                                OK
                                then
                                Code:
                                sudo apt update && sudo apt install hal
                                then

Code:
                                rm -rf ~/.adobe
                                and we have prime

and

he he he ,,,,,,old a$$ hal still working for us

VINNY