This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone find?

Plasma 5 to be insanely quick? Upgraded from Trusty to Utopic a couple of days ago and wanted to test out Plasma 5. It feels like a lightweight DE without the loss of functunality. Boot time is awesome, kwin settings are cleaned up quite a bit, the interface is just all around easier to navigate around. Maybe I didn't pay attention before but the Audio and Video Settings KDE control module seems to make it a lot easier to select default recording/playback devices. There are a few appearance/notification glitches here and there, but none of them appear to be show stoppers: Some small Plasma crashes, some notification sounds do not work yet (such as startup/logoff even when configured) a few of the widgets/notification bar icons such as KDE Telepathy/Skype do not appear there yet but I am sure that will be fixed in due time, and other issues such as text showing up as blocks when you hover over certain items on the panel also occur (which I am also sure will be fixed in due time). The Breeze Dark interface looks clean/presentable like a Android setup but with the beauty of KDE. Anywho just wanted to put some positive feedback out there and definitely keep up the good work, KDE just keeps getting better and better!

My systems specs: AMD A8 Richland 6500 3.5/4.1(turbo), 8gb Crucial Ballistix (upgrading to 16gb 1866 AMD Radeon Memory soon), 240gb mushkin SSD, Antec 380w psu, Old Acer Aspire Case, Kubuntu 14.10 w/ Plasma 5.

I found that Utopic itself to be a fair bit snappier feeling on my aging core 2 PC, still running KDE 4. Plasmashell does use more ram on my equally old laptop, and sddm-helper can eat up all of it sometimes (in the current version of sddm, should be fixed soonish iirc), so I hope to finally upgrade from the 2gb I have in the PC before switching that over to Plasma 5.

Comment

Not only does it seem much faster here, it also is quicker on startup and shutdown. I'm really liking it. I installed the 14.10 Plasma 5 ISO to bare metal, but not yet using it as my daily driver.

I haven't changed the theme yet - other than to change window button spacing like I always do. It took me awhile to get used to the flatter look, but I'm even starting to like that.

I still hate the monochromatic icons tho...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        ya yuck, Try flatter or compass. Compass and nitrux are in the repos.

Comment

Sorry, I should have said "Monochromatic System Tray Icons".

I've installed the color set on previous versions since they first went b/w, but I've given up recently, opting instead to just complain.

I like the Faenza icons for normal use.

Please Read Me

Comment

I like the Faenza icons for normal use.
            Those look cool, I guess I can install those in KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              I found that Utopic itself to be a fair bit snappier feeling on my aging core 2 PC, still running KDE 4. Plasmashell does use more ram on my equally old laptop, and sddm-helper can eat up all of it sometimes (in the current version of sddm, should be fixed soonish iirc), so I hope to finally upgrade from the 2gb I have in the PC before switching that over to Plasma 5.
              For sure. Can't wait to see performance once Wayland is used.

Not only does it seem much faster here, it also is quicker on startup and shutdown. I'm really liking it. I installed the 14.10 Plasma 5 ISO to bare metal, but not yet using it as my daily driver.

I haven't changed the theme yet - other than to change window button spacing like I always do. It took me awhile to get used to the flatter look, but I'm even starting to like that.

Noticing the same, everything is just all around smoother. Took me a while for my eyes to get used to the new scheme but after changing to Breeze-Dark things became much better. This looks miles better than the upcoming Windows 10.

Comment

It certainly starts and shuts down quicker. I haven't noticed it being any quicker in normal use - in fact I found it quite laggy initially but then I discovered that sddm was eating my cpu as well as ram. Since I've gone back to lightdm that problem has gone. I do find it freezes on me about once very 30 minutes. I do also love the breeze-dark theme, except for the problem that it doesn't seem to get applied consistently, and sometimes leads to some jarring contrasts.

I'm sure that by 15.04 it will be fantastic.....

Comment

Speaking of colors (thread hijack), anyone else seeing barely readable text in Kmenu using the Breeze Dark desktop and color scheme?

Click image for larger version

Name:	breeze_dark.png
Views:	1
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	642599

Desktop effects, including transparency, are off, so I'm not sure why the menu is translucent.

This remains after today's 5.1.1 updates.

Edit: Forgot to point out that I have Recent Applications, Firefox highlighted via mouse cursor in the screenshot.
                  Last edited by ronw; Nov 16, 2014, 03:03 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

Originally posted by bendy View Post
                    .... I'm sure that by 15.04 it will be fantastic.....
                    I am running 14.04/KDE4. I didn't want to mess up my working system so I tried plasma5 on top of 14.04 as a guest OS. At first it ran beautifully. Like Aries K, I found the scheme took some getting used to before I liked it. However, after a few days of nice running an update blew it apart. I could never get it back. SO, I tried 15.05 about two ago as a guest OS on VirtualBox. KDE4 it ran about as normal -- 90 seconds on bootup and stable as a rock. About a week ago the plasma5 updates came down the line. It's been a total disaster since then. Exactly the same problems as when I tried running plasma5 on top of 14.04 as a guest OS. I'm beginning to think that plasma5 doesn't like VirutalBox environments.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      I am running 14.04/KDE4. I didn't want to mess up my working system so I tried plasma5 on top of 14.04 as a guest OS. At first it ran beautifully. Like Aries K, I found the scheme took some getting used to before I liked it. However, after a few days of nice running an update blew it apart. I could never get it back. SO, I tried 15.05 about two ago as a guest OS on VirtualBox. KDE4 it ran about as normal -- 90 seconds on bootup and stable as a rock. About a week ago the plasma5 updates came down the line. It's been a total disaster since then. Exactly the same problems as when I tried running plasma5 on top of 14.04 as a guest OS. I'm beginning to think that plasma5 doesn't like VirutalBox environments.
                      I am not doing much better with VMware: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=340966

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                        Speaking of colors (thread hijack), anyone else seeing barely readable text in Kmenu using the Breeze Dark desktop and color scheme?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5509[/ATTACH]

Desktop effects, including transparency, are off, so I'm not sure why the menu is translucent.

This remains after today's 5.1.1 updates.

Edit: Forgot to point out that I have Recent Applications, Firefox highlighted via mouse cursor in the screenshot.

Yes, I see that too. I keep forgetting to hit up bugs.kde.org to report that beastie

Comment

Plasma5 seems snappy and smooth on my end

There are a few minor graphical glitches and regressions (which are to be expected at this point), but also some nice improvements, so overall it's in good shape.

The only thing I absolutely hate is the Breeze theme (I don't like any part of it, plasma theme, qt widget style, cursors, icons), but luckily kde is quite themable. Of course there aren't that many themes floating around, so I basically switched to oxygen cursors and my custom faenza based icon theme, ported my custom plasma theme from kde4, built qtcurve-qt5 from git (although there were a few bugs with it so I settled for fusion-qt5 for now). And now I'm quite happy.

Very promising, now just waiting for more qml plasma widgets
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by kubicle; Nov 21, 2014, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I have just upgraded from windows 7 so cannot add any personal insight into speed improvements from past versions but speed seems more than adequate for a desktop. I installed the root on a ssd so apps start quickly and glmark2 reports a score of 2892 which is very good for a Intel HD4000 compared to other scores I have seen. Some bugs are a bit annoying (cascading application menu sometimes fails because my pointer moves over virtual desktop icon space, loose desktop background and desktop settings menu does nothing when I log in occasionally) but in all it seems very stable for a pre-release. The kubuntu guys should be proud of themselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X