This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live USB does not boot

I run Kubuntu 14.04 and downloaded a copy of 14.10 and put it on an usb stick with the usb creator.
    The md5 checksum is correct !!

When I boot from the usb stick, I immediately get an error message about missing lib32 (something like that) and other

When putting a Kubuntu 14.10 and Mint iso image on the stick, also using the usb creator, I got the same result --> no joy
    the Ubuntu 14.04 image worked, but I don't like the ubuntu GUI, so I looked further.
    I downloaded the kubuntu and mint images multiple times and each time got the same result, a non booting usb stick.

In the past, I used linux mint, and I was able to create live usb sticks with the mint usb creator, in this way I created a Kubuntu live usb
    to go back to Kubuntu, when trying to create a live usb with the Kubuntu usb creator, using the same iso image and the same usb stick,
    it dit not work, so there may be a problem with the Kubuntu usb creator.

I needed to remove my linux dual boot from my work pc (IT security rule) so I now only have a working live usb of Kali Linux
    The only live usb i have now is kali linux which I put on a stick using
    dd if=kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
    http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...sb-persistence

Trying to put the Kubuntu image on a stick using the Kali dd method also resulted in a none booting usb with the same error messages as I had with the Kubuntu usb creator.

So my question is, how can I make a bootable Kubuntu live usb stick starting from my Kali linux live usb ?
    - There is no usb creator on Kali, so is there another alternative ?
    - Do you have ideas why the usb creator does not seem to work correctly ?
    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
    A good place to start:
    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1325801
    and some notes
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    and
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UtopicUnicor...d_post-install

You need to use either the usb-creator program from 14.10 - why they have not upgraded this for 14.04 is still beyond me
    Or use the latest unetbootin from their sourceforge site
    Or use dd --as you seemed to try without success It worked for me, though. Make sure that the command you use is pointing to the correct device, it might not be /dev/sdb

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      You need to use either the usb-creator program from 14.10 - why they have not upgraded this for 14.04 is still beyond me
      Or use the latest unetbootin from their sourceforge site
      I can't understand why the developers would permit usb-creator to remain crippled in this way. It is not a minor foo bar. And they haven't even updated the iso download sites to tell you what you need to do in order to get your Live USB to boot with 14.10.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I tried some more things, and the only thing I get to work is with the dd command:
        - Kali Linux
        - Ubuntu 14.04.1 iso image
        - Kubuntu 14.04.1 iso image

What does not work: (dd nor usb creator nor Unetbootin)
        - Kubuntu 14.10 (I even borrowed a dvd RW from a neighbour and burned the image on the dvd)
        - Kubuntu 14.04
        - Kubuntu 15.04 daily
        - mint 17

So I'll stick to Kubuntu 14.04.1 to install an my old desktop PC, and keep Kali as backup (or install it if 14.04.1 does not behave well after install)
        It is a coincidence that at the same time I had a diskcrash on my old desktop pc and was ordered by it security to remove linux from my work laptop by tomorrow, and not being able to create a well behaving usb boot device ,
        today was not such a good day.

Does anyone know how to make the Kubuntu 14.04.1 usb persitant with command line instructions ?
        In Kali Linux they provide instructions on how to do that, but this procedure does not seem to work with Kubuntu.
        http://docs.kali.org/installation/ka...sb-persistence
        1. Image the Kali Linux ISO to your USB stick. We used the “Linux Method” and dd.
          dd if=kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdb bs=1M
        2. Create and format an additional partition on the USB stick. In our example, we create a 5 GB persistent partition and create a persistence.conf file on it.
          size=5gb
          read bytes _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-1.0.8-amd64.iso |tail -1); echo $bytes
          parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $bytes $size
          mkfs.ext3 -L persistence /dev/sdb3
          e2label /dev/sdb3 persistence
          mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb
          mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/my_usb
          echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf
          umount /dev/sdb3
        A good place to start:

Comment

I can't understand why the developers would permit usb-creator to remain crippled in this way. It is not a minor foo bar. And they haven't even updated the iso download sites to tell you what you need to do in order to get your Live USB to boot with 14.10.
          I don't understand this either, 14.04 is supposed to be a well maintained LTS release,
          I guess the focus of the developpers is on getting KDE 5 ready for prime time now,
          I can imagine that working on KDE 5 is more exiting than doing regression testing and bugfixes.
          Last edited by mbohets; Nov 02, 2014, 02:58 PM.
          A good place to start:

Comment

I used Unetbootin here for 14.04.1 and 14.10_Plasma5 just this week and both booted fine and I did installs from both. There must be some problem specific to your install or something missing. Maybe your thumb drive is the problem?

Unetbootin allows persistence for Ubuntu variants.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've used dd to make booting disks myself as well, no problem

It is something dealing with the different versions of syslinux between 14.10 and everything previous

Due to changes in syslinux, it is not currently possible to use usb-creator from 14.04 and earlier releases to write USB images for 14.10; we believe that it is also not possible to use usb-creator from a 14.10 system to write USB images for earlier releases. For now the workaround is to use a matching release of Ubuntu to write the images, but we intend to issue updates soon to work around this incompatibility.
              ANd Colin Watson has noted:
              As far as I can tell, it's not so much that it's a regression in usb-creator or in the images, it's that the interface between the core of syslinux and its COM32 modules is incompatible between 14.10 and earlier versions; this means that running usb-creator from a 14.10 system to write a 14.10 image works fine (e.g. comment #49) but it doesn't work if you're running it from a 14.04 or earlier system, and I suspect that it also doesn't work if you try to use usb-creator from a 14.10 system to write a pre-14.10 image. And no, Erick, it is not a regression from bug 1112878even though it has the same final symptom - please don't conflate those two bugs.
              This is obviously suboptimal and if we (relevant developers) had noticed this in time then we should certainly have fixed it in both 14.10 and earlier versions to reduce confusion. The least invasive fix is probably to copy the relevant .c32 files from the host system as well as running syslinux on the image, and comment #52 indicates that this approach works fine. However, since the most pressing need is to fix this in updates to usb-creator in 14.04 and earlier releases, there's no reason for it to block the release of 14.10.
              I will write up something for the release notes, and see if we can get this patched up reasonably quickly.

Comment

Well, is this the proverbial "What came first? The Chicken or the Egg?"

To create a bootal USB of 14.10 (with the tools in 14.04), you first have to have a working 14.10.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

strange ,,,,I made the USB of 14.10 that I installed the system I am on right now in 14.04 with the "startup-disk-creator" ??

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Same here, I used the USB creator from 14.04 to make the 14.10 bootable USB drive...
                    The only problem I had was the fact you have to enter a command or use Tab to start the process of installing.

Comment

I got 14.10 installed now by creating a usb stick with 14.04, installing that and then upgrade to 14.10.
                      Once installed, I tried to create a 14.10 live usb, but no luck either, the only distros I am able to put on a stick are Kubuntu and Ubuntu 14.04 and Kali linux.

Update:
                      I found a linux mint live usb and was able to make a kubuntu 14.10 live usb from there (using the same iso image as before).
                      The difference is that the mint live usb creator does not make persistent sticks.
                      Last edited by mbohets; Nov 12, 2014, 05:15 PM.
                      A good place to start:

Comment

Working...
                      X