This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kc1di View Post

Normally with the recommended driver from kubuntu or Ubuntu uses a program called dkms which automatically rebuilds the driver when a new kernel is installed.
    I am still puzzled as tp how I got into this in the first place. Usually, the device manager installs the driver perfectly correctly. This time it did not.

Thanks for your comments and advice!
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

If you do it the manual way
      you'll have to redo it anytime the kernel changes.
      I have not found this to be the case here on this box. I installed Nvidia newest driver from their website and I have DKMS installed and it seems to take care of everything. Maybe I am missing something or just lucky but I have been through several kernel versions now without issue.

Comment

the latest driver for your card is 340.46 -- But it's not available in Kubuntu yet. You would have to download it from Nvidia Here:
        http://www.geforce.com/drivers
        and do a manual install
        instructions here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/h...ally-in-ubuntu

or you can try getting a newer one from the xorg edgers ppa here:

http://www.binarytides.com/install-n...-ubuntu-14-04/

Good Luck
        I would not recommend this unless you know what you are doing and are willing to re-install the drivers from scratch at every kernel update and driver change. Unless you have a functional need for the newest driver, you're much better off using the Ubuntu packaged drivers for simplicity's sake and convenience.

joneall: To use the nvidia driver you have to have the kernel headers for every kernel you intend on using. It's the only way the drivers will install to each kernel.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by anika200 View Post
          I have not found this to be the case here on this box. I installed Nvidia newest driver from their website and I have DKMS installed and it seems to take care of everything. Maybe I am missing something or just lucky but I have been through several kernel versions now without issue.
          If the binary packaged drivers from the nVidia website support dkms installation, that would indeed be a new feature.

EDIT: The nvidia site suggests using the drivers packaged for your distro if they are available and I can't find any reference to dkms functioning with the binary drivers.

anika200: I'd like to see your printout from dkms status and cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep dlloader
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Nov 08, 2014, 09:02 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here you go, does it look normal? Sorry it took so long, I did not see the post.
            Code:
            lee@lee-asrock:~$ dkms status
            nvidia, 340.58, 3.13.0-39-generic, x86_64: installed
            virtualbox, 4.3.10, 3.13.0-37-generic, x86_64: installed
            virtualbox, 4.3.10, 3.13.0-39-generic, x86_64: installed
            virtualbox-guest, 4.3.10, 3.13.0-37-generic, x86_64: installed
            virtualbox-guest, 4.3.10, 3.13.0-39-generic, x86_64: installed
            Code:
            lee@lee-asrock:~$ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep dlloader
            [    16.317] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver  340.58  Fri Oct 31 16:27:22 PDT 2014
            lee@lee-asrock:~$
            Last edited by anika200; Nov 16, 2014, 05:16 PM. Reason: fixed the strange format/newline thing to make it more readable

Comment

The only drivers I can find for GEForce on the nvidia site are for 32 bits. I am in 64. Will that work?
              'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

sorry 'bout that
                Last edited by joneall; Nov 17, 2014, 04:29 AM. Reason: error -- posted twice

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
                  The only drivers I can find for GEForce on the nvidia site are for 32 bits. I am in 64. Will that work?
                  Did you enter 64 bit in the web form? http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Comment

Working...
                  X