Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I assume that's the only way to allow users without access to KWallet to get connected, hardcoding.

So your question about this being a KWallet issue is interresting.
    But at the same time I don't use KWallet so the code would be 'in the open' anyway.

Comment

You don't use it, or you haven't set a password?
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Indeed, when you don't enter a password it stays mute/ out of the way.

Comment

It's still being used though. I don't have a PW set for mine either.
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I see the deamon, kwalletd, in the processes table but unless I selct the client from the menu it never shows up.
            When I do select Kwallet it shows itself to be 'closed'.
            Clicking the 'Open' button shows applications that can store their passwords, under network there is nothing even though I have the secrets for several in the applet.
            IIRC somewhere in the applet there is a reminder this is a convenient but insecure way to keep them.

Comment

Hmm, actually I can't see any passwords either, I have quite a few "maps" in the NM section of my Kwallet, do you? Not sure what these are.
              samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Hmm yes, there are maps with a code + readable extension like wireless security, vpn and gsm.
                So maybe the passwords that are visible in/ retrievable via the NM applet are mirrored or stored here...

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                  Just seen this, tried it and it worked! Thank you! I wonder why though?
                  It appears that there's been a terminology change in the latest release of Network Manager Conection Editor. The setting now known as All users may connect to this network was previously System connection (or similar -- Google for some images).

Network Manager will bring up only system interfaces -- er, "all users" interfaces -- during boot. Per-user interfaces require manual raising. Note that this appears to be distinct from the setting Automatically connect to this network when it is available. That setting likely controls roaming -- if you roam from one wifi network to another, your computer will switch automatically when this option is selected. But you still have to start the interface, and that looks like a manual process if the interface is per-user.

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                  I also noticed that the PSK for this network is hard coded into the file, whereas other networks have the psk-flags=1 parameter set, which hands control of the password over to the "user session secret agent" (Kwallet in this case).... Does anyone know if the password is always hardcoded in the file when the connection is shared between all users?
                  This would support what I wrote above. System interfaces -- rats, "all users" interfaces -- have to be managed before a user logs in. There is no system-wide KWallet, so the wi-fi password has to be stored someplace where the system itself can retrieve it.

Comment

Neat, thanks Steve! I think we'll see more of this question from other people - I don't think "all users may connect to this network" was ticked by default.
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

As usual, we can rely on Steve to bring it into perspective
                      Yes now I remember this being called System connection or such.
                      But the issue has been around for some time, it didn't bite me because I had this System connection enabled for years as I like to have a connection in case I brake the desktop and have to fix it from the terminal.
                      (Yes I know how to connect from the terminal but it's a pain.)

Comment

Working...
                      X