X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.04.1 installation, the hard way.

Hey folks,

I'm back. I have been a happy camper with my Kubuntu since 7.04 Feisty. A couple of weeks ago my 12.04 LTS Precise took a dive and died. Actually it was the HDD, but anyway, the bugger would not fire up any more.

I got me a new HDD, and dug up my Linux CD's. I seemed to have 9.04 and 10.04 available. Went to BIOS to find out my new HDD was visible and to boot from CD and booted with 10.04 Lucid Lynx. Well, no go. The installation went nowhere. Bad CD, I thought and switched over to trusty old 9.04 Jaunty. Installation went fine, and I thought updating as far as possible, maybe to 14.04.

But no go. The version was unsupported and not able to update, because of obsolete packages and addresses. I tried to fiddle with sources.list as well as I could with vi, but I could not upgrade to 9.10 or anything else.

Then I decided to download the TT 14.04 from kubuntu.org, with 9.04. The K3B said "the file is too small, continue if you know what you are doing". Hell, stop it, I thought, I've done this before. Coaster number one. I tried to burn it on CD :-( Downloaded the TT again, compared them MD5 and SHA256 checksums, installed it with high hopes, but TT hangs at 70% no matter what. bcmwl-kernel-source(amd64). I tried two times.

I decided to download the 14.04 again from different peer, and just when the dl was 98% done, a memory full error popped up! Of course, it had nowhere else to save but memory, and all I have is 2Gb, so no wonder. The .iso file is 1Gb.

Back to drawing board, and on with the installation of 9.04. once more, and downloaded and burned one more .iso of 14.04. It didn't ring my bells just yet. One more installation of TT, and it hangs @70% again. Same exect file once more. Grrrr. I was afraid the disc partition being messed too much already, but I got the installation going again, the 4th time, but it hangs at 70%............

I slept overnight, and tried again next morning. Hmm, bcm... That's the Buffalo wifi PCI card I don't use anymore, and it has no "drivers" any more! Immediately put on a headlamp, grabbed a screwdriver and took out the Buffalo from my setup. Then I compared the MD5 and SHA256 again and I saw I had been fiddling with TT 14.04 and not TT 14.04.01! Two coasters more. I think the wifi removal was enuff, BUT THE MOJO WORKS AGAIN! 200Mb of updates later, I'm a happy camper again.

Lesson learned, take nothing for granted, when it comes to...
    See here 1st.https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Qs-amp-Answers

Mods, you can move this, if you want to, pls.
    See here 1st.https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Qs-amp-Answers

Comment

Working...
    X