This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-14-04/

Hibernate is disabled by default in Ubuntu. When the computer hibernates, all of your applications and documents are stored and the computer completely switches off so it does not use any power, but the applications and documents will still be open when you switch on the computer again.
    When a relative running Kubuntu 14.04 brought by her computer she said the problems started when she had the lid set to put the computer to sleep while on battery. As long as she left her laptop plugged in she didn't have any problems. When she opened her lid things came back as normal. However, unplugged and running on battery, when she closed the lid her laptop went to sleep ok, but then the battery drained and the computer shut off due to lack of power while in the sleep mode. When she turned it back on the wireless wouldn't come back up an she had video problems.

Hibernate powers down the computer. Sleep is suspending to RAM, but not powering down. In the sleep mode video shuts off and the disk stops spinning, the CPU goes to minimum, but applications remain in memory which is kept powered.

I never used either sleep or hibernate, but after my relative's experience I have set Power Management, when on battery, to shut down the computer when the remaining battery power drops below 5%, or I close the lid.

Also, I choose to start with a clean desktop. IF I wanted to have the applications which where running when I shut down to return to the screen when I power up I would set the desktop to restore the previous session. Since I never use the "restore to previous session" I do not know if an app, say LibreOffice, would open up to the document I was using at the time or not.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
      Actually lightdm is available in Debian since Wheezy, and it is being encouraged for use in lieu of KDM because of the lack of maintenance and future development of KDM. Although a check in Jessie packages indicates they are keeping KDM available for that release. But it doesn't appear to have much of a future in the longer term.
      I've noticed that a fair amount of Canonical stuff ends up in Debian's repositories -- like Upstart and Bzr, for instance. But do Debian users actually use of that stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        I've noticed that a fair amount of Canonical stuff ends up in Debian's repositories -- like Upstart and Bzr, for instance. But do Debian users actually use of that stuff?
        In the three or four years that I've been running Debian, I have seen a growing acceptance of the possibility that good work can originate at Canonical. I have not seen reference to anyone using upstart or bzr on siduction or Debian stable, but it's there if they want it. Lightdm is standard issue on siduction KDE.

Comment

I used to use bzr before I switched to git.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It couldn't be ...........a sitcom that was started by white mice is it?

uh oh...........bricks flying my way! lol
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

it's pretty obvious why Linux is not popular,

it's because when something doesnt work in Linux people log onto a forum and post:

linux is bad, this doesnt work.

simply because the learning curve is a steep one.

and in Windows, people justify,

oh, it crashes sometimes, but i paid 150$ for this software so lets not make a big deal out of it
              K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
                in Windows, people justify,

oh, it crashes sometimes, but i paid 150$ for this software so lets not make a big deal out of it
                I appreciate the point you're making, but I find it's far more common for people to blame themselves if something goes wrong. (*everybody* uses windows, they get by ok, I'm not so good with computers, so I must have done something wrong.)

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  I find it's far more common for people to blame themselves if something goes wrong.
                  To be fair, they're often right. Not always, but most of the problems I have with my computing are due to my own errors.

You don't get many people using Linux who don't have an interest in computers, since it's not commonly preinstalled on hardware. I'm sure we all know a non-technical user or two who we support on Linux, but that statement is still generally true.

Windows gets a lot of flack because of the number of people who have to use a computer but don't have any interest in actually learning how to make their lives easier... so they keep on doing stupid things. These people would be just as bad on Linux.

I'm not a windows fan - I've been single booting Kubuntu at home for the past year quite happily - but when I have to use it at work I try to learn to use it well. The number of people who shoot themselves in the foot by avoiding any learning is pretty shocking!
                  samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                    To be fair, they're often right... so they keep on doing stupid things.
                    I have a different attitude, I suppose. Computers at the consumer level should "just work"; even Macs don't do that. Large corporate vendors have their own agenda that stops that, one of the reasons MS gets called "evil".

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

It would be nice if they did "just work", but everyone's idea of what a computer should actually do is different, which is where some of the problems start.

Not a desktop example, but just look at the whole Google "right to be forgotten" fiasco. To a lot of people, it seems perfectly obvious that Google should "take down" those articles "from the internet" because they think Google IS the internet. I'm not sure you can make computers work the way people might expect them to because all of that is based on misconceptions and contradictions

I agree with you about corporations being the problem a lot of the time... "protecting" content with DRM is one of the reasons why many popular services don't work well on Linux, e.g. the last time I set up 4od (TV catch up for a UK channel) for my girlfriend I had to use adobe's old flash (Google's pepper flash doesn't work) AND install some old hardware abstraction layer. All this to view a public TV channel online!
                      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                        I appreciate the point you're making, but I find it's far more common for people to blame themselves if something goes wrong. (*everybody* uses windows, they get by ok, I'm not so good with computers, so I must have done something wrong.)

Regards, John Little

you are right!

im just losing patience seeing people post here blaming linux for their lack of skill.. years ago things were different..

probably should stop logging on here lol
                        K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                          I agree with you about corporations being the problem a lot of the time... "protecting" content with DRM is one of the reasons why many popular services don't work well on Linux, e.g. the last time I set up 4od (TV catch up for a UK channel) for my girlfriend I had to use adobe's old flash (Google's pepper flash doesn't work) AND install some old hardware abstraction layer. All this to view a public TV channel online!
                          (Nottingham LUG), and it works 100% using 14.04
                          http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2014/03/4od-on...d-related/4652

Comment

Originally posted by Danum View Post
                            (Nottingham LUG), and it works 100% using 14.04
                            http://nlug.ml1.co.uk/2014/03/4od-on...d-related/4652
                            That link actually uses the exact same method as I described, i.e. use Adobe's Flash (not the Pepper flash maintained by google) and install the hardware abstraction layer (HAL) from a PPA (it's so old it's not in the Ubuntu repos any more). It's still working on my girlfriend's laptop too (I've tested it using Firefox or Chromium), which is also 14.04.
                            Last edited by Feathers McGraw; Oct 23, 2014, 04:41 PM. Reason: repo-->ppa
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X