This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista STEALS Internet WIFI from Kubuntu

This is......maybe........as opposed to most of my bloviating....IMPORTANT............to KDE/Kubuntu Developers...

a) I have always had "Linux on" before I "booted into Windows Vista(tm)".

b) I never noticed...............or this is a new problem but.........I have not "upgraded" or "updated" in any way shape form or fashion Vista............not happened.........

c) Because I have recently gone with the advocacy of "shutting the computer down" ........as opposed to "leaving it on"...

d) I turned on the Sony Vaio Vista Machine and let it go through ALL machinations with no updates or upgrade...

e) Turned on the latest and greatest Kubuntu..........

f) Vista was "on the net".........Kubuntu would "not get onto the net" although the interface said "woodsmoke connecting".........ok the password was fine etc...lets not go there....

g) the machines are "side by side" and the NetGear.........latest and greatest from 2011, was working,

h) I turned both machines off and fired up Kubuntu first, it IMMEDIATELY got on the net and then after a few minutes I fired up the Vista machine and I was on the net.

i) REPEATED IN ORIGINAL order.........Vista first Kubuntu second........Vista on the net and Kubuntu not.

j) REPEATED with Kubuntu first it got on the net, Vista second, it got on the net.

k) In other words........Kubuntu.........first......Kubuntu on the net(wifi) and Vista then on the net...........Vista on the net( Wifi) Kubuntu NOT on the net........

k) THIS MAY BE A HARDWARE THING................that the hardware was doing stuff in the background..............

l). Not complaining, just reporting............

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

The TCP/IP stack in Vista underwent a lot of rework. A number of automatic performance tuning enhancements were added. Alas, they weren't exactly trouble-free at first, and caused numerous problems. I wrote about this in a TechNet article, Windows Vista vs. Hotels. Eventually by the time Windows 7 was released the auto tuning had improved to the point where it didn't interfere with anything.

You might try the suggestions in the article, which show how to disable the auto tuning. It could be that in the default mode, Vista is affecting how the access point generates frames, and interfering with how subsequent association attempts from other machines should work. Another experiment would be to try a different access point from some other vendor.

Comment

Ahhh SR always has the answer!

Thanks for the tip and will do!

woodgratefulsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X