This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight I was reminded why I ditched Windows [except when I have no choice]

I took my netbook out tonight to a local restaurant. I had some work to do in Dramatica. Unfortunately, that application only has Windows and Mac versions. So I booted my netbook to Windows 7 Starter instead of Kubuntu and did my work. Windows said it needed to download and install some updates, so I allowed it to do so, figuring that was important, especially being on a public network. Oddly enough, the restaurant had some kind of problem with both its restrooms. So I did my work and then it was time to go. It was time to shut the computer down and go home. I also had to piss really bad, and the restaurant was without restrooms. So what does Windows do? When I hit the shut down command, it takes FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEVVVVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. It had 15 updates to install. After 15 minutes of me sitting there having to piss, stupid Windows was only on update #4 of 15.

I considered forcing the computer to shut off, but that could have screwed up the Windows. Fortunately, I had been working plugged in and my battery was fully charged, so I ended up just taking the computer with me turned on. I could not put it in its carry case because I wasn't sure if that would shut it down, so I put it on the floor on in front of the passenger seat and protected it with its carry case, my backpack, and cloth grocery bags. I stopped off and used the restroom somewhere and headed home, a 20 minute drive away. When I got home, Windows still was not done with its updates. It only finished a few moments ago while I was writing this.

I appreciate Kubuntu's update system. It updates and then you're done. There's none of this, "Surprise, surprise, you don't get to shut off your computer until we say you can." This experience was only irritating to me. It could have been worse for someone who needed to get to an urgent meeting or to the airport, etc. If the battery weren't charged, the computer could die, trashing the OS and then the person is screwed for his important meeting in which he probably depends on that laptop. It makes me wonder who at Microsoft thinks this is a swell way to design an operating system.

I think I'm going to write to the makers of Dramatica again and beg for a Linux version. I would pay for the whole thing again if it meant I didn't need Windows to run it. I've written them before. I'll just have to grovel and beg. There is no Linux equivalent to Dramatica. None. I tried a few apps that supposedly were like it, but they paled in comparison.

Another option would be for me to buy a Mac just for using Dramatica. In fact, the Mac version is superior to the Windows one. The Windows version hasn't been updated since 1999, but the Mac one recently was. Of course, that's an expensive solution.

One day I would love to be totally out of the Windows world and no longer subjected to the, "Let me spend an eternity shutting down just to drive you nuts" message.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

I feel the same way about Windows 7 update system, it's a real PITA.

I've been working on three laptops recently, all with Windows 7. It really makes you appreciate our comparatively straight-forward and very much less convoluted update process here in Kubuntu. One laptop took me nearly half a day to get it updated. Another one has a problem with the updates that will require a repair reinstall which I will attempt tomorrow.

Recently I came across this very enlightening answer to how the Windows 7 update process works in comparison to the earlier update process in Windows XP. See the "Most helpful reply" post on this page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...8-40cdccb77aca

Have you tried installing Dramatica via Wine? I had a look on the WineHQ page and it has a silver rating (admittedly the results are old and may not be for the same version of Dramatica and Wine that you are using): https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...iTestingId=272
    Last edited by Rod J; Oct 08, 2014, 05:04 AM. Reason: typo
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

thats the first thing i disable on a fresh windows install - the update. sometimes run it just once, right after install. and thats it.

i really dont understand why people use it, i cant name one thing that made me benefit from it. ever.
      K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Some, if not most of those updates are a necessary evil if you want to keep your computer and it's connections secure.

Because Windows is missing Bash the attackers have to use different routes and in Windows there are many.

Comment

Tom_ZeCat, maybe you could buy a license for OSX and run it in a virutal machine? No need to buy a new piece of hardware.
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
            Tom_ZeCat, maybe you could buy a license for OSX and run it in a virutal machine? No need to buy a new piece of hardware.
            http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/fil...cker-for-os-x/

Here is the link for the Vmware patch so you can install OSX. It works very well, the only thing i could not get was sound. The included Darwin.iso is for the Vmplayer tools to be installed under OSX which will give you a better choice of screen resolutions.
            sigpic

Comment

have you tried to look for similar software for linux? someone may have written something like the program you want to use. other wise you may still be in good shape since the program for windows has not been updated since 1999 and doesn't seam to be a game it has a good chance of working correctly in wine.. you could even install ReactOS in a virtualbox .. or a windows Xp virtual machine (just dont' allow it internet).
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hi Tom, thanks very much for this thread, I had not heard of Dramatica and will probably install it on my Vista machine.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                  Originally posted by GerardV View Post
                  http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/fil...cker-for-os-x/

Here is the link for the Vmware patch so you can install OSX. It works very well, the only thing i could not get was sound. The included Darwin.iso is for the Vmplayer tools to be installed under OSX which will give you a better choice of screen resolutions.
                  I have considered Mac OSX in VirtualBox both for Dramatica and for Final Draft (a screenwriting / playwriting word processor). I read up on installing Mac OS on non-Mac hardware and learned that there are quirky tech hurdles to scale. On some PCs you can never get sound to work, on others things like ethernet and wifi never work. Of course, to run Dramatica and Final Draft, I don't really need sound or those other things. So Mac OS might be an option.

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                  have you tried to look for similar software for linux? someone may have written something like the program you want to use. other wise you may still be in good shape since the program for windows has not been updated since 1999 and doesn't seam to be a game it has a good chance of working correctly in wine.. you could even install ReactOS in a virtualbox .. or a windows Xp virtual machine (just dont' allow it internet).
                  Yes, I tried something else out that purports to do the same thing as Dramatica, and it was awful. It ran, but it didn't do anywhere near what Dramatica does. I also tried Dramatica under WINE. It ran, but key features would not work, most notably, the scroll-down bar was frozen. That means you could work hard on something and end up not being able to view all of it. Not good. It does not deserve its silver WINE HQ rating. It should get whatever is the next rating above garbage. I tried something else that was Java-based and had no Linux version. However, with WINE it ran perfectly. It just didn't do what Dramatica does. The makers of Dramatica claim there's nothing else like it, and they're actually right. It has its warts, but it's unique. The Windows version is so dated that the help system doesn't work in Vista/7/8 unless you download a legacy file from Microsoft.

Btw, thanks for the info about ReactOS! It sounds intriguing. I'm definitely going to try it. I wonder if pretty much any Windows program runs under it. If so, I may even be able to remove Windows 7 from my system. I wonder if Quicken, PhotoImpact, and Photoshop run under it.

A few other words about Dramatica: Its learning curve is steep. It's pretty much essential to read the book, Dramatica, to understand the concepts in the software. The book is pretty dry, but it has excellent insights. It's like one of those necessary boring college text books for the core of your major. It won't keep you at the edge of your seat, but the understanding you gain from it is fundamental. There are also Youtube videos on how to use Dramatica. In short, Dramatica isn't for everyone. Some writers hate it. I personally am excited about it because it's helping me get plots and characters well organized in my mind so that my writing is highly focused and effective. It cures the problem of the rambling plots that confuse and annoy readers/viewers.
                  Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                  ================================

Comment

CBS (component-based servicing) was originally intended only for a small part of the core operating system. Then some well-meaning soul decided that the entire operating system and all applications shall forevermore use CBS. Now we're stuck with it. It does survive failures better, though; you probably could have yanked the battery during stage 2 (preparing before reboot) or during stage 3 (preparing after boot). CBS usually can recover from such actions.

But also, too: you boot Kubuntu every day and therefore you receive the usual trickle of daily/weekly updates. If you boot the Windows only once every three or four months, you're gonna be faced with a long update wait. I'd suggest booting at least once a month: strive for the second Wednesday, the day after "patch Tuesday."

Comment

CBS explanation: + 1 Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        CBS explanation: + 1 Interesting
                        I agree, we're lucky to have Steve here to give us some perspective

And what should they know of Linux who only Linux know?
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X