X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another German city moved to Linux

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Germa...p-461341.shtml
    They use some apps developed by Munich. I guess it's getting easier for other cities to move to Linux, because they can use apps and expericiene of other cities.
    Following this article Hamburg may be considering Linux too:
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hambu...s-461044.shtml

It would be good use of taxpayers money if central governments would mandate the use of open source applications, if only because it would by design allow free use everywhere.

Comment

Microsoft allegedly gave its code to the Chinese, in order to continue to do business there, but not to American banks and institutions that were demanding it for security reasons. Now we have heard the Chinese are reportedly hacking into institutions left and right. Lately Microsoft reportedly wants to "get out" of the OS game and provide services (a la Google) only. Is there a connection?

Open source with security seems to be much less a risk than closed source (especially when one group has some sort of advantage using the closed source code).

Transparency (with security) is good; closed-source spying is bad.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I would love it if Microsoft got out of the OS game. I wish they had never entered it. They almost didn't. If you're unfamiliar with the story, look up how the OS named CP/M was a shoe-in to be IBM's OS, but because of a bizarre chain of events, Microsoft ended up buying an OS it didn't even write (that had pirated components from CP/M) and got in with IBM. I would love it if Microsoft got out of the PC OS market and *buntu (or even some other distro) became the default for PCs.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

Working...
        X