This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with my web cam in Kubuntu 14.04

Hey guys, people on here (such as Vinny) have helped me with setting up my wireless, downloading Skype, and other issues. For this help, I am profoundly grateful, especially since I'm new to Kubuntu. Before I detail my problem I want to say that I have been enjoying Kubuntu so far, it's super customizable, and learning to use the command line has been enjoyable and fascinating. Having said all this, I must ask for your help again with the following issues, some of which may not be resolvable, and that's okay, but I just thought I'd ask.

I have a webcam, mic, and printer I want to get working (if possible) on Kubuntu 14.04. The webcam is the highest priority for what I want to get working. Currently, it works in cheese, but isn't working at all in Skype (the option for a video call isn't even there). To my knowledge, this means it's already installed and has the right drivers, but I can't be completely sure. I don't know if it's a Skype issue or what.

I'm using a Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000.

A Snowball Ice Blue Mic and

a Lexmark 2404939 X2670 All-in-One Printer Copy/Print/Scan machine.

Any advice for any of these would be welcomed, priority going to the webcam preferably as I use that one the most, it has a mic, and it's the most important.

I've been able (to my surprise) to install steam and my video games and ZSNES emulator without a hitch. So these are the final three issues I need to solve before everything is "normal".
    Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 01, 2014, 10:32 AM.

UPDATE:

I tried this:

ferociousmadman@ferociousmadman-CM5675:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype &

but got this:

[1] 2962 ferociousmadman@ferociousmadman-CM5675:~$ ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

The cam worked for a video call while I had the konsole open, but then became really trippy and unworkable when I closed it. My snowball mic works though. I just had to change the order of what the primary mic was in my sound settings. I went to Audio and Video Settings -> Audio Recording -> Communication, and click and dragged the Blue Snowball Mic to the top.

If I can fix my cam issues, that would leave just my printer to be fixed...

Comment

About your printer, you may check out the following threads:
      1. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...0-driver/page2
      2. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2217407

I hope you'll find there something that will work for you

Comment

Hello Ksiencha,

hmm those seem to be having issues. The second link is old, and the drivers are indeed out there now and supported, so I don't think that's the issue. The first link though was more helpful but I ran into a problem:

I attempted to run this code:

cd $HOME
        sudo apt-get -y install unp
        wget http://downloads.lexmark.com/downloa...386.deb.sh.zip
        unp ./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.zip
        rm ./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.zip
        sudo ./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh

but unp ./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.zip gave me this error: Cannot read ./lexmark-inkjet-08-driver-1.0-1.i386.deb.sh.zip, skipping...
        WARNING: There were errors while processing files!

Reading down further, it sounds like I'm going to run into all the same issues he was, and that it's time to get a new printer. This one is pretty old anyways, and I can always use it on my laptop which has windows. So it's no biggie! However, my webcam is another matter. I really need to be able to use that with Skype. I will post an update for the cam issues below this sentence:

UPDATE:

I tried this:

ferociousmadman@ferociousmadman-CM5675:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype &

but got this:

[1] 2962 ferociousmadman@ferociousmadman-CM5675:~$ ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

The cam worked for a video call while I had the konsole open (after running this), but then stopped when I closed it. It is no longer working now even when I go through the same process again. It's just gray or trippy rainbow colors appear.

PS: Ksiencha, I noticed it says you live in Ukraine. I take it you live in western Ukraine? lol

Comment

LOL, yes I'm from the west part of Ukraine
          Sorry, can't help you with the printer issue farther, I'm not a professional in these types of things. I hope some experts will visit this topic, you'll get some help.
          Good luck

Comment

I suggest having two threads for such diverse problems. MIc/Camera go together OK but piling on a printer in the same thread isn't a good idea. Start a new one for the printer and give every detail you can about the printer, what you've tried, the errors you're getting, etc. You much more likely to get responses that way.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah you're right, I will start a separate thread for the printer, and keep this one about the web cam. By the way, if you want to give a pointer or advice about the cam, please feel free to comment. To everyone reading this, the separate thread for the printer is here:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...opy-Print-Scan

On this thread, I will continue to use it to resolve my Microsoft LifeCam VX-1000 issues. This webcam is still not working properly with Skype (it shows all kinds of crazy rainbow colors when I try to use it on Skype) and I don't have the option to video call people, I can just call people using my microphone.
              Last edited by ferociousmadman; Sep 01, 2014, 09:24 AM. Reason: Update with link to separate thread

Comment

I don't use Skype so I can't help you with that.

Please Read Me

Comment

What video card is in your PC?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog, my video card is:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] (rev a2) as pasted straight from the terminal.

Comment

Have you checked if a proprietary driver is available, selected, and installed for the card?

System Settings > Driver Manager

Comment

I looked, it was using X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-vide-nouveau. I changed it to the recommended driver which was NVIDIA binary driver - version 331.38 from nvidia-331 and hit apply.

In the Audio and Video Settings, audio recording -> communication, I can see my lifecam, but I can't see it under video recording -> communication. I can use my cam in cheese, but for some reason it won't work in skype still. Also, the video quality in cheese is awful.

Comment

you may half to reboot to be using the new vid driver ,,,,,,,maybe

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

hey Vinny, I rebooted my computer. Still not seeing the cam under video recording -> communication. It's not working in Skype either. I've been doing some research and apparently it's one of those kinds of web cams that has issues with Linux. Looks like I might have to get a new cam!

Comment

If you do, go with a basic Logitech.

Comment

Working...
                              X