X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin very slow loading with SSD Plasma 5 Desktop

Hi,

I dont know if I should ask the question here but it regards the beta plasma 5 desktop.
    Dolphin is taking upwards of 20-30 seconds to load the file browser with an SSD. Could anyone help?

their is a thread on plasma 5 @ https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...14-10%E2%80%8F

some info on the install (how it was done) and on what hardware would be helpful in establishing a starting point and something like some "top" output wile dolphin is trying to load with dmesg output from the same time frame to maby.

is the system ok other than this ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I installed it as a separate desktop session using the neon ppa. Could you give me more information as to how to use dmesg and top please?
      Everything else runs fine just starting up dolphin

Comment

I allso have neon5 installed as a login session (in Kubuntu-14.04) you are posting in the 13.10 section and I do not think the neon/Kf5 PPA is for anyting but 14.04 ,,,,that sead

open a Konsole and start "top" ,,just type top and press enter ,,,open a new Konsole window and start dolphin in it by just typing dolphin and pressing enter,,,,,,,some errors will show post back the errors ,, you can cope and past the output from the Konsole hear just enclose it in [CODE] tags ,,,,,,,, the # button at the top of the text box will insert them for you.

wile dolphin is starting in the second Konsole window watch top and see if dolphin is using a larg amount of CPU.......

you can now stop top (by pressing Q) or open a new Konsole and type
        Code:
         dmesg | tail -20
        you may or may not see some entries about dolphin if so post them hear.

allso have you done your updates/upgrades sence installing the neon/Kf5 PPA ?

if no run in a Konsole
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        this will keep you up to date with the constantly changing state of this testing PPA,,,,,thare are daily upgrades @hear

VINNY

I will log in to my neon5 session hear in a few and open dolphin in a Konsole and post back the output so you can see the "normal" errors ,,,,their are ALWAYS some errors ,,,,,just not critical ones
        16GB RAM

Comment

OK @ hear opening dolphin in a Konsole produces this output and opens in about 1/2 a second

Code:
          vinny@vinnys-HP-G62:~$ dolphin
          Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
          Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
          Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
          IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
          QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
          QSqlQuery::prepare: database not open
          QSqlDatabasePrivate::database: unable to open database: "unable to open database file Error opening database" 
          QSqlDatabasePrivate::database: unable to open database: "unable to open database file Error opening database" 
          these are "normal" errors ,,,,,

screen shot of the exercise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Hi, thanks. OK heres my top out put which shows this running regularly at about 100% CPU as soon as i type dolphin in another terminal

23314 ade 20 0 640344 34568 22268 R 99.7 0.4 5:22.10 kded5

Here is the output of my terminal after typing dolphin

Code:
            ade@ade-G41D3C:~$ dolphin
            Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
            Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
            Qt at-spi: error getting the accessibility dbus address:  "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." 
            Connected to accessibility bus at:  "unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-2fOz0W0s2J,guid=22f587081bf69d5e29d8022553dd74f7" 
            Registered DEC:  true 
            Registered event listener change listener:  true 

Comment

I'll ask again ,,,,have you ran off updates recently ,, their are meny every day .

Code:
              sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              maby some update will fix this for you

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Yes i have done an update like you said, also i am getting a lot of certain applications, like konsole, quitting with an error message

"Konsole has unexpectedly crashed" or
                "Plasma Desktop has unexpectedly crashed"

Comment

Originally posted by Bladeforce View Post
                  Yes i have done an update like you said, also i am getting a lot of certain applications, like konsole, quitting with an error message

"Konsole has unexpectedly crashed" or
                  "Plasma Desktop has unexpectedly crashed"
                  well it is a testing PPA and not for every day use ,,,,,, I havent had a lot of crashes BUT I am not using it all the time , so ...........

I'll try to use it the rest of the day and see what happens

+ you should run the updates every day

VINNY

PS: are you really running this on 13.10 ?
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Nothing has changed and no i am running 14.04 just posted this in the wrong forum

Comment

Working...
                    X