This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchpad Will not Respond after Fresh Install of Kubuntu 14.04

Hello. Im fairly New to Linux. I've used Ubuntu before and even there, the Touchpad wasn't working well.
    It was working at first, but after a few installations of other distros, it stopped working. Im using an EXTERNAL Mouse for now.
    I Have Synaptics Installed on my computer, but there is no driver or anything that says it's installed.
    This is what I get when I do Xinput List in Konsole.

Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ USB Optical gaming mouse id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ USB Optical gaming mouse id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ USB Optical gaming mouse id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ ASUS USB2.0 Webcam id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Asus WMI hotkeys id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=14 [slave keyboard (3)]

As you can see, it looks like I have 2 Optical Gaming mouses Attached?
    Could that be the reason why my Touchpad isn't responding?

Please Help, Any of it is Greatly Appreciated! Thanks in Advance.

Would this work for you?

Code:
    sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf
    Then enter the following in to that file

Code:
    Section "InputClass" 
    Identifier "touchpad catchall"
    Driver "synaptics"
    MatchIsTouchpad "on"
    Option "TapButton1" "1"
    Option "VertEdgeScroll" "1"
    Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "1"
    EndSection
    Save and exit the file. You may need a re-boot.

Try it and see if it works, the above works on my Dell Inspiron 6400 (aging) laptop.

Comment

This is what I get when I enter that first command

QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-jerome" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      Error: "/tmp/kde-jerome" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      Error: "/tmp/ksocket-jerome" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      kdeinit4: Shutting down running client.
      Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
      QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
      kbuildsycoca4 running...
      Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
      IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon
      QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double) to NepomukPlugin::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double)
      QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::recentStatsDeleted(QString, int, QString) to NepomukPlugin::deleteRecentStats(QString, int, QString)
      QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::earlierStatsDeleted(QString, int) to NepomukPlugin::deleteEarlierStats(QString, int)
      QDBusConnection: name 'org.kde.kglobalaccel' had owner '' but we thought it was ':1.7'

Gedit pops up but there is nothing on the file
      Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 01, 2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

hmm, somethings not right there. The first command should allow you to create a new file called 10-synaptics.conf with root privileges.

Then once the file has been created you can simply paste the commands in to the new file, then save and quit the text editor.

Is your account set up under sudo?

Comment

Ok Well i ran it under root

This is what I got when I Ran the first command under root. The Gedit popped up, still and empty file, so i Coped and pasted the content that you gave me, tried to save it and I got more errors.

These are the complete errors

root@jerome-K55N:/home/jerome# sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf
          Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
          kbuildsycoca4 running...
          QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
          QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
          QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double) to NepomukPlugin::resourceScoreUpdated(QString, QString, QString, double)
          QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::recentStatsDeleted(QString, int, QString) to NepomukPlugin::deleteRecentStats(QString, int, QString)
          QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::earlierStatsDeleted(QString, int) to NepomukPlugin::deleteEarlierStats(QString, int)
          kactivitymanagerd(2691)/nepomuk (library): Could not find virtuoso to connect to. Aborting
          QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
          QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.kde/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc
          Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
          Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
          ERROR: Could not load classifier cascade /usr/share/opencv/haarcascades/haarcascade_frontalface_alt2.xml
          X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
          Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
          Resource id: 0x4c00102
          Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
          Ignoring source as no aboutToFinish handling is in progress.

Sorry i'm not much Help :/ I'm New to linux :/
          Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 01, 2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Rearranging a bit...

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf
            This should be kdesudo kate ... When starting graphical applications as root from the console, don't use sudo. Instead, use kdesudo. (More information.)

Originally posted by crom169 View Post
            This is what I get when I enter that first command
            Code:
            ... [I]{remaining lines snipped}[/I]
            You're seeing these error messages about ownership because sudo is only for elevating a console command. As I mentioned, use kdesudo instead.

Gedit pops up but there is nothing on the file
            Gedit? That's highly unlikely, because KDE's editor is Kate, which you're invoking with the command. You're seeing an empty file because no file by the name /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf currently exists. Note what NickStone wrote in his post #2:
            Then enter the following in to that file

Code:
            Section "InputClass" 
            Driver "synaptics"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            Option "TapButton1" "1"
            EndSection
            Save and exit the file. You may need a re-boot.
            Copy-pasta the contents of this code block into the text editor.

Now you definitely don't need to do what you did here:
            root@jerome-K55N:/home/jerome# sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf
            Code:
            ... [I]{lines snipped}[/I]
              Resource id:  0x4c00102
              Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
            It would appear that you used some other method to elevate a console window to root (note the # in the prompt) and then used sudo to launch Kate. This is why you see the errors about invalid Window parameters. Your X session is running under the context of your regular user. When you elevate to root in the console window, typing sudo is unnecessary -- you're already root. Then your system tried to run Kate and attach it to an X session running as root -- which doesn't exist.

Since you mentioned you're new to Linux-based operating systems, I hope this explanation helps you understand why you're seeing these problems.

Comment

Ok thanks, So i ran it as Kdesudo instead, and Kate popped up (sorry for saying Gedit, because i also have that installed on KDE)

I get this

jerome@jerome-K55N:~$ kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-synaptics.conf
              kbuildsycoca4 running...
              QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.config/ibus/bus
              kactivitymanagerd(2757)/nepomuk (library): Could not find virtuoso to connect to. Aborting
              QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /root/.kde/share/config/activitymanager-pluginsrc
              Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
              Object::connect: No such signal org::freedesktop::UPower:eviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)

Then i Copy the block of content

Section "InputClass"
              Driver "synaptics"
              MatchIsTouchpad "on"
              Option "TapButton1" "1"
              EndSection

Into Kate Right? Okay so now I Do File->Save and get this in Konsole

Then i remember you said that the file doesn't exist in the first place so I do File->Save As and then it locates itself to Root/Home/Jerome and I just click OK to save it there. I get this when saving it.

I will try to reboot and see what happens.

EDIT:

Okay so I rebooted and the touchpad is still unresponsive. Did I do something wrong or save the file in the wrong place?
              Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 01, 2014, 08:30 PM.

Comment

I've decided to just use the External Mouse. Thanks for the support guys!

Comment

in my kubuntu install there is a setting to disable touchpad when external mouse is connected,
                  easy to test,
                  unplug the mouse and see if it fixes things
                  K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

Working...
                  X