This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compiling Trinity Desktop using cmake?

First off I apologize if I am posting in the wrong thread. I really like the Trinity Desktop Environment,but I want to upgrade to 14.04LTS and sadly there are no repositories on their website to add to my sources file for 14.04LTS. On the Trinity website there are tarball sources to compile TDE from source. I've already tried to read their "how to build" article and I can't make heads or tails of it really. The article keeps saying to use cmake which I can not seem to figure out how to get it to compile the tarballs on 14.04. Is there an easier way than using cmake to compile this DE on 14.04?

bump

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier if you install it from this distro? http://exegnulinux.net/
      This distro is based on Debian so very similar to Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

Or you could even download Ubuntu with TDE from here http://trinity.motivewellbeing.org/c...buntu/precise/ It is based on Ubuntu 12.04 (which is an LTS and is still supported.
      Last edited by Guest; Jul 15, 2014, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I've tried it but the apps don't seem to look right like they do on Kubuntu (yes I am that OCD). I've found out it works best using Kubuntu and I haven't figured out why. I also think it is more so I am interested in compiling the source so I am turning it into a learning experience, but it basically boils down to I just want the apps to blend properly with TDE which they don't with exegnu if I am using the right terminology. I'm currently using 12.04LTS with TDE installed from their repositories their Live CDs are a little messed up though so the best option for me really is to build it my self.

Comment

Originally posted by joshagosh View Post
          I've tried it but the apps don't seem to look right like they do on Kubuntu
          You do know that TDE is the new name for KDE3 which uses QT3 not QT4 which is probably the reason it does not look as good as in Kubuntu.
          If you really want to compile from the tar ball, I am sure you have done it already, but make sure you install the development packages so that you can actually compile the source code.
          I cannot remember the exact commands to compile from source code but it is something like this:
          extract code in to a new directory (folder)
          change in to that directory
          then type make (or cmake)

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            You do know that TDE is the new name for KDE3 which uses QT3 not QT4 which is probably the reason it does not look as good as in Kubuntu.
            If you really want to compile from the tar ball, I am sure you have done it already, but make sure you install the development packages so that you can actually compile the source code.
            I cannot remember the exact commands to compile from source code but it is something like this:
            extract code in to a new directory (folder)
            change in to that directory
            then type make (or cmake)
            Currently TDE works with QT4 apps in fact to me it seems as though they work better than with qt 3. I've tried extracting the tarballs and doing make nothing works then tried ccmake and it spit out instructions and I tried following them and it was just a giant mess of errors. I've never compiled Trinity unless installing from their repos using apt-get is considered compiling then maybe I have compiled it.

When I get back home I'll post a reply showing what I am trying to say as how the apps blend better on Kubuntu instead of exegnu.

Comment

It is far from simply downloading one tarball and compiling one thing. it is an entire desktop environment:
              http://mirror.ntmm.org/trinity/relea...downloads.html
              All of these need to be compiled (well, a good major portion of them)

The steps to build with cmake:
              install build dependencies (whatever those are)
              Download all the tarballs
              find out which order things need to be built
              extract tarball
              mkdir build
              cd build
              cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr (substitute wherever TDE devs want to put the system files, if different)
              Find some missing dependencies
              install or build the missing dep
              run the cmake command again, find and fix other missing deps
              finally run make
              Find out why compile fails
              fix/patch code if possible
              run make again
              run sudo make install
              lather rinse and repeat

(I am sure the TDE guys have build scripts to do this)

My guess is that Mr. Pearson doesn't have a large group of devs or time to hammer out the bugs, etc.
              But there are daily builds for 14.04
              https://quickbuild.pearsoncomputing....nightly-builds

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                It is far from simply downloading one tarball and compiling one thing. it is an entire desktop environment:
                http://mirror.ntmm.org/trinity/relea...downloads.html
                All of these need to be compiled (well, a good major portion of them)

The steps to build with cmake:
                install build dependencies (whatever those are)
                Download all the tarballs
                find out which order things need to be built
                extract tarball
                mkdir build
                cd build
                cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr (substitute wherever TDE devs want to put the system files, if different)
                Find some missing dependencies
                install or build the missing dep
                run the cmake command again, find and fix other missing deps
                finally run make
                Find out why compile fails
                fix/patch code if possible
                run make again
                run sudo make install
                lather rinse and repeat

(I am sure the TDE guys have build scripts to do this)

My guess is that Mr. Pearson doesn't have a large group of devs or time to hammer out the bugs, etc.
                But there are daily builds for 14.04
                https://quickbuild.pearsoncomputing....nightly-builds
                I will try that than you! I don't like using the nightly builds cause I like using the KDE classic icon set and the TDE team changed the K button to a T button and it ruins the whole thing for me.

As for the picture, gnuexe is making a liar out of me lol. But there are a plenthora of bugs with gnuexe causing some of my applications such as eclipse and emacs to crash because of the gtk engine with TDE as a standalone desktop. I've found the work around to installing the DE with KDE4 installed and everything seems to work perfectly. There are no scripts that I know of exactly would they be the files with a ".sh" extension at the end?
                Last edited by joshagosh; Jul 15, 2014, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Besides what Claydoh said, you do realize that if you go that route YOU become the sole support for both security and bug fixes? Are you independently wealthy and can afford to spend most of each day updating your unique installation? IOW, can you do the work of a single, well trained and skilled developer, or a team of developers?
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X