This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difficulty with HP Deskjet 3050

Hello, the above printer works fine as a printer but the scanner does not work at all. Says it does not have the Sane thingummy to make it go. So I logged on to HP and got a file called hplip*.tar.gz. I used Ark to extract this file into a new directory. However, I must be missing a step somewhere as it still does not work. If my memory serves (failingly) there is a method for installing a tar.gz file and I don't know how to do that anymore. And again, if memory serves, installing a tar.gz file was a bit of hair-raising experience (by being pulled out in clumps). Any help would be appreciated.

Hi there!

I have the 3050a.

You shouldn't need anything directly from HP, there are great FOSS drivers in the package HPLIP:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install hplip
    Sane is the scanner software, it will be installed automatically if you install one of the frontends like xsane or skanlite:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install skanlite xsane
    Give them both a try - skanlite is much simpler to use, xsane gives you more options. I actually wrote up how to make a raspberry pi print/scanner server here:

https://samhobbs.co.uk/2014/07/raspb...scanner-server

...which has a few troubleshooting steps in it. If you install sane and still have problems, please try:

Code:
    sudo sane-find-scanner
    and:

Code:
    sudo scanimage -L
    and post the output here!

Last edited by Feathers McGraw; Dec 03, 2014, 12:05 PM. Reason: updated url
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for your help. Nothing seemed to work and maybe the answer is in the last to suggestions you made.
      It suddenly came to mind that I am using this printer as a wireless printer and skanlite is already imported and the latest version.

~$ sudo sane-find-scanner
      [sudo] password for

# sane-find-scanner will now attempt to detect your scanner. If the
      # result is different from what you expected, first make sure your
      # scanner is powered up and properly connected to your computer.

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
      # you have loaded a kernel SCSI driver for your SCSI adapter.

# No USB scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure that
      # you have loaded a kernel driver for your USB host controller and have setup
      # the USB system correctly. See man sane-usb for details.

# Not checking for parallel port scanners.

# Most Scanners connected to the parallel port or other proprietary ports
      # can't be detected by this program.
      :~$

:~$ sudo scanimage -L
      [sudo] password for :

No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
      check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
      sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
      which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
      :~$

Comment

I'm not sure what scanner server software is running on the HP, but it's possible it is a sane daemon or something compatible. Do you know the scanner's IP address? A quick look at your router's admin panel should tell you. By default, sane only scans locally for devices (e.g. USB scanners) but you can tell it to look other places too:

Open /etc/sane.d/net.conf i.e. sudo nano /etc/sane.d/net.conf, uncomment this line:

Code:
        connect_timeout = 60
        and add the IP address of the scanner to the file:

Code:
        192.168.1.XXX
        Now run sane-find-scanner again and see what happens.

Since it might not be a sane daemon running on the scanner, if you still have problems it might be worth port scanning it with nmap to see what's listening:

Code:
        nmap scanner-ip-address

Also, when posting on the forum you can format your text nicely using the BBcode tags. For inline stuff:

Code:
         [console][/ console]
        (see Steve's thread). And for blocks of code use:
        Code:
        [code ][/ code]
        (but remove the spaces inside the square brackets).
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Thank you again. I hooked the printer up with a USB cable and sKanlite worked and I was able to scan a document as a test. That is the plus side, the minus side is that it is pretty rudimentary. I'm wondering if thereis something a bit more sophisticated and if so, how do I get to it.

Comment

Try that other program, Xsane, it has way more options.

Did you try those other bits for network scanning? I'm curious to know if it works.
            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
              Try that other program, Xsane, it has way more options.

Did you try those other bits for network scanning? I'm curious to know if it works.
              First of all, how would I engage xsane?

I tried a lot of the links you gave me and a plethora of information came back which has completely blocked up my arthritic neurons! In other words I'm stuck in a swamp full of information and I can't find the plug! I do, however, really apprreciate your help. This forum has always come througjh for me when I have been blocked in one way of another.

Comment

Type xsane from konsole (assuming you entered that command in post 2 sudo apt-get install xsane skanlite which installs both Skanlite and Xsane). It's probably in the menus somewhere too, possibly searchable from the search bar in the Kickoff application launcher ( "start menu" ) if you've logged in and out since it was installed.

You're very welcome are you happy with USB scanning or do you fancy investigating some more? Either way is cool. I agree, this forum is awesome
                samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Type xsane from konsole (assuming you entered that command in post 2 sudo apt-get install xsane skanlite which installs both Skanlite and Xsane). It's probably in the menus somewhere too, possibly searchable from the search bar in the Kickoff application launcher ( "start menu" ) if you've logged in and out since it was installed.

You're very welcome are you happy with USB scanning or do you fancy investigating some more? Either way is cool. I agree, this forum is awesome
                  Well I redid the following: sudo apt-get install xsane skanlite and the following is the result which is all double dutch to me.

william77@william77:~$ sudo apt-get install xsane skanlite
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  skanlite is already the newest version.
                  Suggested packages:
                  hylafax-client mgetty-fax gv gocr
                  The following NEW packages will be installed:
                  xsane xsane-common
                  0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 110 not upgraded.
                  Need to get 2,124 kB of archives.
                  After this operation, 5,501 kB of additional disk space will be used.
                  WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
                  xsane-common xsane
                  Install these packages without verification [y/N]? y
                  Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe xsane-common all 0.998-3ubuntu3
                  404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
                  Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe xsane i386 0.998-3ubuntu3
                  Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...buntu3_all.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
                  Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...untu3_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.14 80]
                  E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Thank you.

Comment

That can happen when your sources list is out of date. sudo apt-get update refreshes it - I didn't include it before sudo apt-get install xsane skanlite in post 2 because I assumed you'd have just done it before installing hplip.

Try this:

Code:
                    sudo apt-get update
                    sudo apt-get install xsane
                    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

That can happen when your sources list is out of date. sudo apt-get update refreshes it - I didn't include it before sudo apt-get install xsane skanlite in post 2 because I assumed you'd have just done it before installing hplip.

Try this:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get update
                      I ran sudo apt-get update twice, because when I ran sudo apt-get install xsane it failed again and suggest I do the update run again.

Anyway the result now is:

william77@william77:~$ sudo apt-get install xsane
                      Building dependency tree
                      The following extra packages will be installed:
                      xsane-common
                      Suggested packages:
                      xsane xsane-common
                      Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
                      xsane-common xsane
                      Install these packages without verification [y/N]? n
                      E: Some packages could not be authenticated
                      Building dependency tree
                      xsane-common
                      Suggested packages:
                      xsane xsane-common
                      xsane-common xsane
                      Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe xsane-common all 0.998-3ubuntu3
                      404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]
                      Err http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe xsane i386 0.998-3ubuntu3
                      Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...buntu3_all.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]
                      Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...untu3_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]
                      E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Patient perserverence obtains all things -- or so I have been led to believe.

Comment

Try this:

Code:
                        sudo apt-get update
                        Did as you suggested and got:

william77@william77:~$ sudo apt-get install xsane[/code]
                        [sudo] password for william77:
                        Building dependency tree
                        E: Unable to locate package xsane[
                        E: Regex compilation error - Invalid regular expression
                        E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'xsane['
                        Building dependency tree
                        xsane-common
                        Suggested packages:
                        xsane xsane-common
                        xsane-common xsane
                        Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...buntu3_all.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]
                        Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/...untu3_i386.deb 404 Not Found [IP: 91.189.91.13 80]

What's that --fix-missing at the end of the above line.

Thank you again.

Comment

The fix-missing thing is explained in the man page (most commands have man pages, they can be really useful. If you'd rather see them in a web browser you can just google "man command"):

Code:
                          man apt-get
                          -m, --ignore-missing, --fix-missing
                          Ignore missing packages. If packages cannot be retrieved or fail the integrity check after retrieval (corrupted package files), hold back those packages and handle the result. Use of this option together with -f may produce an error in some situations. If a package is selected for installation (particularly if it is mentioned on the command-line) and it could not be downloaded then it will be silently held back.
                          Looks like it wouldn't really help here. When you install updates your server connects to one of the many mirrors that contains all of the Ubuntu packages. Since I was able to download those packages with no problem from the UK mirror, I assume it's a problem specific to the US mirror.

Let's try changing where you download your packages from to see if that fixes the problem...

Open the search bar and search muon, and select Muon Discover:

Click image for larger version

Name:	change-sources1.png
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	642326

Click "Sources", and then "Configure software sources", and then use the drop down and choose "other"

Name:	change-sources2.jpg
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	642327

Then click the "Select Best Server" and see if your server changes. If it doesn't change then manually choose one somewhere near you (the ones further away are often slower, but all of them should work fine).

Name:	change-sources3.png
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	642328

Then run sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get install xsane again, see if that fixed your problem.
                          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Your suggestion worked and when I set the message to the latest first it all came up.

So on to new things. I went through the Muon workup you suggested, but when I got to "other" for a server the list came up. I chose Canada and the system pinged the mirrors and everything was on the up and up. But after it was done the "OK" at the bottom to save my choice would not light up. It was just dead as a doornail.
                            So I went back and tried yours, the United Kingdom, it pinged and again the OK button was dead. Am I missing something here?

Comment

This looks odd:

I thought raring was way out of support, and this is the saucy sub-forum... forgive me if I've missed something.
                              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                              X