Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In KDE when I create a file in the Home directory it also creates files on the Deskto

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In KDE when I create a file in the Home directory it also creates files on the Deskto

Whenever I create An new file in my Home directory In Dolphin it also create the same file on my desktop and on my widget (folder viewer.)
    How can I fix this? It worked fine until now, but It just started doing this recently and I don't recall doing any changes to the system.

Picture:
    http://s30.postimg.org/aijvjhfoh/snapshot1.png
    Last edited by FractalWheel; Jul 09, 2014, 09:18 AM.

Because you set this particular directory as source for the desktop folder

So right click in the folder widget and go to properties (at the bottom) and change the origin.
    Also it seems you presently have at least two partially overlapping such folders or directories.

PS, first you have to unlock the widgets.
    Last edited by Teunis; Jul 09, 2014, 11:20 AM.

Comment

You should also check SystemSettings>AccountDetails>Paths>DesktopPath, and see where it points to (IIRC, it defaults to /home/<username>/Desktop, but in your case it may point to /home/<username>)

EDIT: Also, judging by your screenshot you don't seem to have a Desktop folder in your home folder, have you deleted it?
      Last edited by kubicle; Jul 09, 2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

yea I have deleted it when It started showing on my desktop. Do you know how to get it back?

P.S: thanks for the replays will take a look later and see if it can get "fixed"

Comment

Originally posted by FractalWheel View Post
          yea I have deleted it when It started showing on my desktop. Do you know how to get it back?
          I'd suggest the following steps to fix the issue:

1. Create the Desktop directory, you can do this in dolphin or start konsole and run mkdir ~/Desktop

2. (optional) into the Desktop folder, create a text file named '.directory' (notice the dot) file with the contents:
          Code:
          [Desktop Entry]
          Encoding=UTF-8
          Icon=user-desktop
          Type=Directory
          X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_kdebase-runtime
          (this will give the folder a specific icon)

3. Go to SystemSettings>AccountDetails>Paths and set "Desktop Path" to /home/<username>/Desktop (don't move files to this folder if asked to).

4. Now do what Teunis suggested, and go into the "Folder view"- widget settings and set folder to be shown as Desktop (you'll need to set the same in your "desktop" settings, since you seem to be using a "Folder View" desktop, as the icons are showing twice...on the desktop and on the widget...which is sort of redundant)

After that your desktop (and the widget) should show the ~/Desktop folder and not your $HOME
          Last edited by kubicle; Jul 09, 2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X