This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System fails to complete bootup to login after Latest Kubuntu updates

G'day folks; So far I have had no replies. Is this the wrong place to post, or is there some other problem with my request? I am hoping there is some way to undo this mess and get my system back.

System Information as requested of posters to this forum:

Dell Dimension 4600i desktop dual booting WinXP and Kubuntu 14.04, KDE 4.13.0, 320GB internal HDD, comprising WinXP 30GB, Data 239GB (both NTFS), 22GB ext4 Kubuntu 14.04, 3GB Linux swap. CPU Intel 2.6GHz P4 with hyperthreading (makes it look dual core in System Monitors, but I doubt it), 32 bit, 1.5GB RAM, 2 x optical drives.

This morning (20140618) I accepted the latest updates as usual, and tried to get system to restart as indicated, but the screen brightness reduced, and nothing further happened. I tried the Restart, Logout and Shutdown options from the main Leave list, but same stalled result. I brought up a tty and rebooted that way, and now system won't get past the first screen with glowing kubuntu logo.

I can get into the ttys, and have tried snowhog's suggestions from a recent thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...kernel-upgrade

sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

also sudo apt-get autoremove as suggested during above operations.

Also tried the recovery options from the initial grub screen, and tried fsck and dpkg. Tried earlier kernal options, but they also stall.

Although packages seemed to be updated, removed and/or installed during above operations, problem still the same.

During the initial update session, I noticed that the update listed lots of software, and in the System Updates list at the end, only some of the software was ticked for installation (although lots seemed to be listed). This differs from the same update presented to my eeePC, which had all the System Updates software ticked. (I was holding off accepting the updates on the eeePC until the cause and solution to this problem on my desktop is clear, but as of now, 20/06/2014, I have accepted them, and thankfully they installed OK. 20140623: Today the Ubuntu with kubuntu-desktop partition on this same eeePC also accepted these updates without a problem.)

Also noticed that during the initial (desktop) updates, lots of software was noted as "removing/ed", and lots of things noted as "preparing" or "preparing to configure", but no mentions of "installing". (This may mean nothing; just mentioning it in case). [20140623: Noticed during today's update there was no mention of "Removing or Uninstalling, as I think I had seen on the problematic desktop installation. Also noticed mentions of "configuring", but did not notice much if any of the word "installing". Does this mean the "removing" step I noticed is where things went wrong in the desktop update?]

Also possibly meaningless, but I was adjusting digiKam the day before the initial update attempt, and deleted the database file from my Photos folder, so it would re-build it with the new installation (seemed to work OK), and I noticed that digiKam is one of the packages in the update. (?)

Finally, I am hoping this is not related to recent problems I have been having with Backup on this system as noted in recent post: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...s-external-HDD

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers
    Last edited by frankus333; Jun 22, 2014, 10:50 PM. Reason: Hoping for a response. Updates worked on another machine; both Kubuntu and Ubuntu with kubuntu-desktop partitions

This thread not active; followed up in new thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Kubuntu-update

Comment

Mark this one solved as well.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X