Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kwin[?]: Force custom manual titles for individual windows?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kwin[?]: Force custom manual titles for individual windows?

I see under the "edit window specific settings" thing that Kwin provides, that you can *match* windows by their titles (exact, regex, or substring), and then use that match to apply certain custom settings...

But I can't find a way to take an individual window and force it to have and keep a custom title.

How can I do this?

If I could only do this manual title setting thing, then I could use it with the "Present Windows" desktop effect to get a workflow that would work *really* well for me....

(For a concrete idea of what I'm trying to do and why:

I have like a couple dozen text editor windows open (Sublime 2, which by default gives a title to its window from the full path/file name of the file in the active tab).

They each have a dozen to a few dozen files open in them, in tabs.

I want to force each window to have a particular name, regardless of which tab in the window has focus.

I want to force them to have names like:

12-noun
    13-verb
    14-adjective
    15-pronoun
    16-adverb
    17-article
    18-preposition
    19-conjunction
    32-sentypes
    33-constituents
    34-phrases
    35-predicates
    36-orderargs
    37-clauses
    38-negation

(I have a p wide vertical taskbar, so all the window titles are visible there, but of course they're all "~/Dropbox/blahblahrestofthelongpath......")

See, I'm rewriting and reorganizing a p much exhaustive German reference grammar.

That's why I need such a ridiculously huge schmozzle of windows and tabs open at once, and a weird way of organizing and moving between them....)

I think that this info is taken from the application itself, so I don't think that customizing this is is simple (though I could be wrong)
    If your text editor has "sessions", ie a group of files that open in a single instance of the program, this would be easy. If it like KDE's Kate, you can create custom session names, which might then appear in the titlebar before the open file name.

Not to steer you to a different text editor, but kate does have a coupe of tab bar plugins that might make it similar to your Sublime.

Comment

Actually, I ended up just kludging the problem away by symlinking the dirs into my home dir so now the title is "~/folder name I can keep track of/blah blah". *shrugs*

Does Kate even have multi-selection editing?

Comment

No idea, tbh.
        Is it the same as this;
        http://kate-editor.org/2013/09/09/mu...iting-in-kate/ ?

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Yup that's it. (Btw, you use Kate but not multi-editing? You should try it! It's one of those "holy cow how did I ever live *without* this feature!?"-features. ^^)

Comment

Kate has many features I've never used out even knew about, lol ! I don't use a text editor enough to dig very deep to be honest.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

Working...
            X