Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12.04 was a beautiful dream, 14.04 a nightmare.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@aria Can I ask why you switched from Fedora to Kubuntu?

Comment

Baloo does need some work. It does use a lot of CPU resources when indexing, and slows my laptop when first turned on. Having said that I can still use the laptop with only slight delays. After about 5 minutes however, I am back to 1% to 2 % CPU usage on my Acer with an Intel I5 processor. So I have no real issue with it.

As far as an earlier comment that KDE is a resource hog, I do not find that to be the case on a capable machine.
      Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
      Always consider Occam's Razor
      Rich

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
        @aria Can I ask why you switched from Fedora to Kubuntu?
        In 2011~2012 Kororaa (this was what I actually used for a while, because of Jokey Fedora didn't have), by that time I had two main issues with Fedora/Kororaa:
        1) fixed, and very little space allocated to users home directories (ex: couldn't make 2 DVD ISOs, because running out of space, even if hard disk was almost empty),
        2) sharing over the home network wasn't yet implemented (issues viewing downloaded movies on the TV via WiFi).
        The sharing issue has been already fixed, as for the home allocated space, don't know yet. But, with my experience with (aborted) upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04, I wouldn't move for my main laptop to a running Linux distribution like Fedora/Korora (now the name ends with only an a). So, will stay with 12.04 as long is possible (at least up to 16.04). But, for sure, as I intend to get a netbook, for portability, instead of a tablet (I'm horrified to touch the screen - and no, I don't have a cellphone, hate them), I am decided to retry Korora on it. Besides, Korora still keeps Jokey and (very important) Jupiter too!

PS: Forgot the second part of the question: ...why you switched (...) to Kubuntu? Mainly because 10.04 was rock solid (still have it on a very old laptop, even if using it now only seldom), because 12.04 was (and still is) a beautiful dream made reality, and because of something special to Ubuntu: the PPA. Can't have the same words for 14.04. Will wait for 16.04 for my main computer (on witch I need a LTS).
        Last edited by aria; Jun 16, 2014, 09:01 PM.
        aria

Comment

Anybody can have a problem with any distro, or a release of a distro. It can stem from hardware problems (incompatible or failed), user problems or, it seems, the phase of the moon sometimes. With just about any of the top twenty or thirty distros listed on DistroWatch's ranking list (which is essentially meaningless) just about anyone can have excellent results, or they can have a complete disaster. The general rule is that MOST will find just about any of them to be excellent desktop OSs. And, a small percentage will not be able to achieve good results with any of them.

As far as Kubuntu is concerned, my experience is that a vast majority of Kubuntu users, to put a guesstimate to it - 98 out of 100) are pleased with it. Most Kubuntu users (and other distros as far as that goes) have so few problems or concerns that they never feel a need to use a forum like this. They just use their distro to do what they want to do.

The users on this forum are of two groups: those that enjoy Kubuntu and want to contribute back in some way to it (like me) or have had (or are having) problems and want a solution. Most in the second category find their solution and move on to other things. A small number from that second group stay on to help or just commune with friends, or both. That's why, IMO, this forum is the best on the web.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 16, 2014, 10:40 AM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            That's why, IMO, this forum is the best on the web.
            I would add the Linux forum I administer to that list of two. LOL!
            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
            Always consider Occam's Razor
            Rich

Comment

Right richb.

I wish, now, to end this thread on a better note. Tried 14.10 with Plasma 4, and all issues I encountered with 14.04LTS apparently have been worked out. I welcome back Jockey, and welcome Balloo's disable option for desktop search. Shame it isn't an LTS... Or is it? Just have seen 14.04 upgraded to 14.04.1 which looks the same with 14.10. Will give it a try, hoping that some issues I still have in live-USB will be solved after the installation: the Search and Launch desktop, and some applications I depend on, and which are no more in the repositories. As I have the .deb files, will try to install them locally: Jupiter, k9copy, dvd95. Hope all these will work.

As for Plasma 5, did try it live-USB on my main laptop (i3-2350m), and refused to run. Instead did run on a netbook (celeron n2840) I have in trial. Plasma 5 looks nice, but IMO it moves too close to Gnome Shell: where is the Search and Launch activity I use 99% of the time, and where are some widgets I depend on, like Hardware Temperature? Yet, have to mention that I did encounter NO functional issues with it, which is incredible for a beta.

Looking forward,

Update: Installed 14.04.1 for testing to a spare HD, and except for two small issues (no place for them here, posted a separate thread), I'm very happy with it. Runs even colder than 12.04, and this on youtube 720p full-screen (47~48°C, while 12.04 was reaching 51~52°C, in same conditions, including same indoor temperature). Also, could install Jupiter and k9copy from locally saved .deb files (the earlier Jupiter 0.1.9-2, because the last issue 0.1.11-2 only installed, but didn't run). DVD95 installed from repository, and Search & Launch desktop is well and sound (wasn't in live-USB). Only wished Muon Package Manager to be installed by default, but did install it from repository. And also didn't really understand the choice for Dragonplayer and Amarok (installed instead VLC, Kaffeine, and Clementine). But this is only a question of flavor+taste, so doesn't really count. In conclusion, 14.04.1 is the real LTS (except for the two small issues mentioned before, but these are only two, and with minimum impact - still, hope they will be soon solved with your help).
              Bests,
              Last edited by aria; Nov 10, 2014, 09:19 PM.
              aria

Comment

Working...
              X