This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forums blocking VPN's

I would request the forum source blocking approach be loosened. It appears a wide variety of VPN servers as well as all Tor exit nodes are blocked. I am not sure if this forum had, in the past, a serious problem with coordinated attacks / spam across these sources or if its an abundance of caution, or if the administrators have signed up with a general source of site blacklists that is too broad. In any case, I would ask the policy be reconsidered.

If bot-spam was a problem there are other ways of dealing with that which doesn't force users to deactivate their usual communications links in order to post or log in.

The consideration is much appreciated.

We are happy with the protection regimen we have in place. We know that for some, our protection is "to tight", but we can't please everyone, so we settle on pleasing ourselves and our members.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      We are happy with the protection regimen we have in place. We know that for some, our protection is "to tight", but we can't please everyone, so we settle on pleasing ourselves and our members.
      It is obviously your site and I respect that. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond though. I do appreciate that, and will continue to participate ... so I guess, I am one of "our members" too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubuntu1404_Singapore View Post
        It is obviously your site and I respect that. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond though. I do appreciate that, and will continue to participate ... so I guess, I am one of "our members" too.
        Of course you are one of our members, and we really do appreciate that you wanted to join our forum and participate for both your, and other members, benefit.

Before we incorporated ZB Block, KFN was under constant assault by spammers and other undesirables. The time it was taking me on an almost daily basis, to clean up the mess they left behind was getting to be to much. We had to do something, and ZB Block turned out to be, quite literally, our 'guardian at the gate' that has made all the difference in the world. The number of undesirables that make it into KFN is now, for all practical purposes, zero. And we like it that way.

We are even able to, some times, accommodate members who find themselves being blocked by ZBB Block for various reasons by writing a custom bypass rule. ZB Block is very powerful and (to a point) customizable to a forums needs.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Kubuntu1404_Singapore View Post
          .... It appears ... [that] all Tor exit nodes are blocked.....
          I closed FF29 and opened my Tor browser. It opened this forum nicely and I could browse any post. However, to make a post I would have to register, and IF I seriously needed to use Tor I'd be making a serious security mistake by registering here using Tor, especially if I logged in here again, afterwards, using a regular browser.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Forums blocking VPN's

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            I closed FF29 and opened my Tor browser. It opened this forum nicely and I could browse any post. However, to make a post I would have to register, and IF I seriously needed to use Tor I'd be making a serious security mistake by registering here using Tor, especially if I logged in here again, afterwards, using a regular browser.
            With due respect logging in with a pseudonymous identity would not be a mistake in the least. It is a totally valid use of Tor. and, this forum prevents that.

But yes, for the novices out there, de anonymising oneself by logging into sites on Tor defeats the purpose. The exit node might snoop your identity. That said given this is SSL-d someone would have to really care to identify you as a remote attacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              Of course you are one of our members, and we really do appreciate that you wanted to join our forum and participate for both your, and other members, benefit. Before we incorporated ZB Block, KFN was under constant assault by spammers and other undesirables. The time it was taking me on an almost daily basis, to clean up the mess they left behind was getting to be to much. We had to do something, and ZB Block turned out to be, quite literally, our 'guardian at the gate' that has made all the difference in the world. The number of undesirables that make it into KFN is now, for all practical purposes, zero. And we like it that way. We are even able to, some times, accommodate members who find themselves being blocked by ZBB Block for various reasons by writing a custom bypass rule. ZB Block is very powerful and (to a point) customizable to a forums needs.
              Thank you very much for explaining. Its definitely a shame when spammers make the life of mods miserable and you do need to do something to stop it. Well understood.

Comment

Working...
              X