X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12.04 k display manager fails after failed upgrade

Hello,

I tried to do a full upgrade of 12.04 using muon as a precursor to upgrading to 14.n. Muon asked a question about a running x session. I allowed it to stop the session; it crashed. On restart, my computer loads to the grey screen with a cog, then stops. Boot log shows that k display manager has failed to load. I can login via Ctrl alt f1, but am not sure what to do now to repair the problem. I've tried running dpkg and apt-get upgrade... Note that if I need to access the internet, I will need to access a wpa2 protected wireless network, and I can't work out how to do that either.

Any help much appreciated!

after you login try

sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Dell E1705 Intel Core 2 Duo with Kubuntu 17.10.
    Nvidia Go7950GTX Graphics
    4gig Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I tried that; it didn't seem to do anything, and the problem isn't resolved. I expect it would be easier if I could get an internet connection, but wpa supplicant isn't playing.

I can start an x session, and some programmes will run with a GUI from that -- firefox, vlc... But no KDE programmes. Could muon have somehow removed and not replaced the KDE stuff, including kdm?

Comment

I would reinstall kde-desktop and see if that helps.
        4gig Ram

Comment

Aye, I would try that -- but as I say, I can't connect to the internet with that computer, so i can't easily install packages on it. So I was hoping to find some solution that didn't involve me downloading packages and/or making a live disk on a different computer. Think I'll have to, though. Oh well.

Comment

When you start your machine go to your grub menu and choose option with internet support. You may have to plug into your wired connection.
            4gig Ram

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
              When you start your machine go to your grub menu and choose option with internet support. You may have to plug into your wired connection.
              Right -- that might have worked, except (as I've said) there was no wired connection available -- so if I'd need that it wouldn't have helped. Anyway, too late now, I gave up, got a live disc from a friend, and reinstalled. I was wasting too much time trying to solve the problem, and everything important was backed up anyway.

Thanks for trying, anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X