This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
    Not everything. InkScape is very good, from what I've seen ;-).
    If you say that there's a lot of bad free software, I agree with you. But that's something different than saying ALL free software is bad. That was the remark that triggered me, because I write a whole lot of free manuals and websitethings myself.
    But there's also a whole lot of not free (in the sense of money) software that's really bad. I don't think that has much to do with money.
    And for a big part it is getting used to. I've been working with Gimp for years and yes, you have to get used to it. But with the new interface it's not that different form a lot of other graphical programs. I like the LibreOffice's interface far better than the inferface from Word. But that's also for a big part (the biggest?) because I'm used to that interface.
    Last edited by Goeroeboeroe; May 24, 2015, 12:51 PM. Reason: Typo. Why isn't everybody simply writing Dutch? Sigh...

Comment

Jarte seems quite nice. Perhaps I should give it a run when I'm back in Windows, or Just start it with Wine. I like, or at least agree, with most of what's written on that page. Indeed my problem with word and libreoffice is in large part probably the number of features that I don't need. I want a small, elegant thing, Like Calligra. I like that calligra can turn paragraphs into styles, or make styles for paragraphs. I don't like that it doesn't handle special formatting all that well, and it does a weird thing to text that is styled, at times. It is a very unstable program.

But Calligra at least looks nice and uncluttered.

I'm also not saying all free software is bad, but it depends on the mindset. If people are stuck in a movement, they are probably writing something "for the masses" without enjoying it themselves. A lot of software in KDE and a lot of systems in KDE are just outright bad, such as the notification system that should be placed near every application but now hinders you with messages about stuff that is not important, such as files being moved to the trash. Dolphin, for one, should not be putting such messages to that notification system. Firefox does a better job I believe, but now also notifies there that a file has finished downloading. I can say I never needed that in Windows, and I have used Windows for as long as I've used Linux and even much longer. And much more. I never needed that feature, and now that feature really hinders me when it is there. A lot of stuff escapes you, and a lot of stuff is mentioned that is unworthy.

It's like people don't think about what they do. No one likes that thing. Why do they make it? Because they are captured by a spell, delusioned by a mindset and they can't think straight anymore. FOSS is often like an illusion to be caught under. It can rob you of your common sense. A lot of stuff is being done that is questionable.

Sometimes money is a questionable way to do something. But ideology is often much worse. Microsoft has gone so bad also because of ideology, not because of money.

Apple is often so bad because of ideology and lack of common sense. For all you know.. this is true. When they designed the Mac Mini, they chose between 3.5" hdd and 2.5" hdd purely based on form factor. The form factor they chose was 2mm too small to put in a 3.5" hdd. So they put in a 2.5" one. That was the only basis of their choice. The 3.5" would have been cheaper, but they went for the more expensive choice because of the form factor. There were of course other reasons to pick a 2.5" hdd instead, but they didn't use those reasons. It was all about the form factor. Ideology. Or a form of ideology.

When I mentioned that there is no marketplace, I meant that there is literally not a place we call a market. Such as there exists now for Android and for iOS (not Windows). I mean that there could be a system where money flows. But this system doesn't exist because it would quite disrupt the functioning of all these wannabe-slaves to the FOSS ideal ;-). Canonical or something like it could introduce that system but it would be bad. Nevertheless, it is what linux needs. Think of all the young girls coming to linux! If there are smartphone apps! :P.

LOL!

Linux needs more women in any case. The reason the software is so bad is because the feminine aspect is undervalued, underappreciated.

Ideology is never a feminine thing. It is always a masculine thing. Even when it is called feminism ;-).

Comment

I'm planning on getting good at using Gimp. I'm not good at it just because I haven't used it that much. I have PhotoImpact installed under VirtualBox/Windows 7, and I'm highly skilled at it. When I need to image edit something, it's way easier to just open up the program that I'm good at and go for it. There are Youtube videos on how to use Gimp, and other tutorials on the net. I originally got good at PI because I couldn't afford Photoshop and I had access to some very good tutorials on the web. The big advantage of using Gimp would be the ability to run it straight in Kubuntu with no need to use VirtualBox and all the resources that uses. I would recommend that you use the Youtube tutorials to get up to speed on Gimp. You won't have to pay a cent for it. If you try and absolutely hate it, then the poor man's Photoshops are PhotoImpact and Paint Shop Pro, both of which are owned by Corel. PI is orphaned now, but you might be able to get it dirt cheap. Paint Shop Pro is probably about a hundred bucks, but if you can find an older version, you should be able to get it a lot cheaper.
        I am not very good visually myself. This makes it even harder to learn a tool. I have tried Photoshop in the past and I was working well with it, just very novice level. I have spent many hours in GIMP but not quite getting very far with it. I just don't have the patience or the time to learn these difficult things in GIMP, and I forget how to do it once I've learned them. It is too difficult. I have used Photoshop Elements for a while (It came with a Netbook also) but the interface was poor. The way Adobe Acrobat is now very ugly. Same interface style. I want a simple thing that can do simple things. Photoshop Elements was also 1 gigabyte in size. . But in the past I also used Paintshop Pro. I have long used it, I could do with it what I wanted, which was not much.

Comment

Linux needs more women in any case. The reason the software is so bad is because the feminine aspect is undervalued, underappreciated.
          There are some Linux women. One of my favorite Youtubers is a woman. Her name is Nixie Pixel. You might like her:
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBE...OghSysV9gjTeHw

Her videos are always informative. Plus, she's pretty cute. I'm not ashamed to admit part of the reason I watch her videos is because she's cute. We're men. We're supposed to like attractive women.

I actually think Microsoft was onto something when they battled bloat. In about Office 2K or XP they set it so that the menus would only display the features that we're being used. The problem was if someone didn't know it did that, they would search for a feature that existed and not find it and assume it did not exist. I think it would have been smarter to have a wizard that runs the first time someone uses Word which asks what features they want and then show those in the menus and hide the others. Of course, in options there would be the opportunity to go in and check stuff you want and uncheck stuff you don't.

Microsoft took some heat for a feature I actually liked. I liked the Office Assistant. It defaulted to "Clippy" the talking paper clip, but I always changed it to Merlin the Wizard, this guy:

They even had an ActiveX control that Visual BASIC programmers could use to put Clippy or Merlin into your apps. I know it wasn't ultra useful to have a cute character giving you help information instead of just giving you the info, but I thought it was fun. I thought it showed a sense of humor. Other people that it was stupid, however, and Microsoft junked it with Office 2003.

I was a Visual BASIC programmer creating freeware. It was free in the sense that it didn't cost any money, but it was not open source. Then one of the biggest things Microsoft did to piss me off was to orphan Visual BASIC. Version 6 was the last true Visual BASIC language. They replaced it with Visual BASIC.net, which was actually a different language incompatible with the old one. They broke all my code. I was POed and moved to a similar product named REALbasic (now known as Xojo). Microsoft has done a ton of things to infuriate me. That was just one. I won't go into them all or we'll end up with a long dissertation. I was never upset about the talking paper clip.

Btw, way back when I created in Visual BASIC a multiple file renamer named RenameStar. It runs in WINE except for the help system. I don't have a programmer's web site anymore, but if you want the program, let me know. I'll put it up as a download. I believe I've designed it to be easy to use. I've considered getting back into programming so that I can contribute to the Linux community. I've even got some training books for C++. I've just been too busy with other things. I would love to rewrite RenameStar for Linux and also make some modifications to LibreOffice Writer.
          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
          ================================

Comment

And, for your enjoyment, here's a Nixie Pixel video:

I want my Linux distro to look exactly like Nixie Pixel. I think I'll start a distro named Linux NixiePix.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
              And, for your enjoyment, here's a Nixie Pixel video:

I want my Linux distro to look exactly like Nixie Pixel. I think I'll start a distro named Linux NixiePix.
              Dag nabbit, Tom_ZeCat, I have to go out of my way to avoid Linux-using redheads wearing green, because I don't get any work done
              I am supposed to be working tonight

My own personal redhead would not be happy.

Comment

I have seen some cuter girls though :P. Where are my favourites... I'm not sure if I still have them.

I can't find her :P. So here is a replacement. The original was better . But I can't remember her name.

SNAP cute girl disappears, other cute girl surfaces with wicked soundtrack. Bumps up the volume of the subwoofer.

Okay it seems her face video's are gone. Still. Good music.

(Other girl still prevalent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUHsdCGyrLI
                haha, she's crazy.
                Anyway.

This one is Czech. I can't understand her. I don't care ;-).
                https://www.youtube.com/user/TeriBlitzen
                Last edited by xennex81; May 27, 2015, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
                  There are some Linux women. One of my favorite Youtubers is a woman. Her name is Nixie Pixel. You might like her:
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBE...OghSysV9gjTeHw
                  I might, but ... ;-).

Her videos are always informative. Plus, she's pretty cute. I'm not ashamed to admit part of the reason I watch her videos is because she's cute. We're men. We're supposed to like attractive women.
                  Of course, that's how it's supposed to be ;-). Haha.

I actually think Microsoft was onto something when they battled bloat.
                  I agree with you here, but me too I didn't quite like that shrinking of the menus. I still want to see everything that's there, not have weird random stuff hidden away. I agree.

Microsoft took some heat for a feature I actually liked. I liked the Office Assistant. It defaulted to "Clippy" the talking paper clip, but I always changed it to Merlin the Wizard, this guy...
                  I never liked it. Glad you did! It was funny, but an ill-humoured attempt ;-).

They even had an ActiveX control that Visual BASIC programmers could use to put Clippy or Merlin into your apps. I know it wasn't ultra useful to have a cute character giving you help information instead of just giving you the info, but I thought it was fun. I thought it showed a sense of humor. Other people that it was stupid, however, and Microsoft junked it with Office 2003.
                  Nice that that could be done. I never quite used it for a single second, always clicked it away ;-). In the time that I was still using Office. I used Office 97 I believe.

I was a Visual BASIC programmer creating freeware. It was free in the sense that it didn't cost any money, but it was not open source. Then one of the biggest things Microsoft did to piss me off was to orphan Visual BASIC. Version 6 was the last true Visual BASIC language. They replaced it with Visual BASIC.net, which was actually a different language incompatible with the old one. They broke all my code. I was POed and moved to a similar product named REALbasic (now known as Xojo). Microsoft has done a ton of things to infuriate me. That was just one. I won't go into them all or we'll end up with a long dissertation. I was never upset about the talking paper clip.
                  Those are really things I can deal with, you know. New versions breaking old code, okay. Fine. You still had your old version that could compile it. How come REALbasic was able to compile your code? I never quite fancied .NET, I never wanted to go there either with Delphi, which was my tool of the trade.

Btw, way back when I created in Visual BASIC a multiple file renamer named RenameStar. It runs in WINE except for the help system. I don't have a programmer's web site anymore, but if you want the program, let me know. I'll put it up as a download. I believe I've designed it to be easy to use. I've considered getting back into programming so that I can contribute to the Linux community. I've even got some training books for C++. I've just been too busy with other things. I would love to rewrite RenameStar for Linux and also make some modifications to LibreOffice Writer.
                  Nice, I currently do such things just using the shell and some scripts seeing as that usually I rely in Linux on command line tools to do my work. I am glad Dolphin functions modestly in 14.10 but after all, Linux is where the Shell is. I still don't know how to go around in Linux or Kubuntu without using the shell all the time.

That is a landmark, by the way, of a bad system. If I mostly spend my time typing commands because the gui programs (particularly the file manager) is not up to the task... well I 'd not call that user friendly.

I hope I am still allowed to speak critical comments of Kubuntu though here. Two of my threads have already been locked because they resorted to "name calling" apparently. If I say critical things of Kubuntu, I get in fights. That is mostly my perception anyway, or my impression: that critical remarks are not to be said, but loving or embellishing remarks are very welcome. A bit... anyway, I am glad that in here we can still just talk. (They only want to hear positive stuff, not negative. Can't stand the negative criticism or the truth.). Anyway.

Comment

Personally, if I want to state my goals here, which could be nice:

* I want to have a Linux version (probably Kubuntu or Ubuntu Server with Kubuntu-desktop) running within 2 months that I can keep running for at least 2 years. That means it has to be a 14.04 LTS version. Thus far I have not achieved installation of a 14.04 version yet. Two versions failed (Ubuntu Server 14.04.2 and Kubuntu 14.04.2). I have no love for versions that I need to keep updating (to newer versions) that are then very much different and not to my liking (15.04) or the alternative of not having any updates anymore after 2 months from now, which means I am stuck at present.

* I want to start writing my own java software again within a month (chat server).
                    * I want to finish up my shell scripts that I used for backup purposes and publish them on Github most likely.
                    * I want to start writing for Calligra within 2 months and seeing if I can start a project of bugfixing for them. In a certain theme (the bullet/numbering feature).

That is all there is to it for now.

I really want to get that Software Writing for an Office application going, which in my case is Calligra. I believe Linux is the future, but it has a long road to walk still.

Comment

No, I locked that last one because you called someone a name.
                      If you hadn't noticed we do not make it a habit of moderating or banning people very often; actually it is quite rare here.
                      There are plenty of critical posts here at KFN, so please do not twist things in to what they are not.

Comment

Well thank you for the clarification but that's what I said, I believe. I do not believe I am twisting and I believe these are harsh comments.

Comment

On the subject of word processing. I like lyx and Emacs org-mode. The formatting of the text should not get in the way of writing. That's why I don't like libreoffice and Ms word..

Comment

Well thank you for the clarification but that's what I said, I believe. I do not believe I am twisting and I believe these are harsh comments.
                            You called Qqmike a "bully" for describing the way things are in the open source world and for explaining that actions count for more than words when users have certain desires about their software.

Xennex, it's you who's being harsh here at KFN. Watch yourself.

Comment

Those are really things I can deal with, you know. New versions breaking old code, okay. Fine. You still had your old version that could compile it. How come REALbasic was able to compile your code?
                              It wasn't able to, but I was so mad at Microsoft I preferred to move to another product if I was going to have to recode anyway. Plus, REALbasic offered the ability to compile for both Macintosh and Linux. Alas, I never got to the level of skill in it that I had with Visual BASIC, so I mostly just kept coding in VB until Microsoft's newer versions of Windows obsoleted even that. I'm lamenting my decision to learn Visual BASIC instead of C++, as those skills would still serve me now. If anyone had any question as to why I have tremendous disdain for Microsoft, that should answer it. There are other reasons, but that's one of the big ones.

Comment

In 1993 the NE adept of Revenue adopted FoxPro and followed it through all of its iterations until VFP 6.0 in 2002, at which time MS turned to .NET and moved VFP their back burner, where it died a slow death. I was tasked with finding a new GUI RAD tool. Rather than .NET I looked at and tested a variety of C, JavaScript, Java, Python, PHP and C+ tools. I chose Qt. I tried to convince TPTB to switch to PostgrSQL, but they wouldn't buy a free DBM because of "no support" since they assumed open source support forums would be worthless. They purchased Oracle. Taxpayers have paid through the nose for it and Oracle's support is so notoriously poor that they rely on the open source forum. In the last ten year millions of dollars could have been saved with no sacrifice in functionality.
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X