This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One laptop accesses my phone; the other doesn't

I just got a new Moto G Android phone. When I plug it into my Lenovo Z570 laptop, it does not show up. I therefore cannot transfer any files over to the phone. However, when I reboot into Windows 7, it does show up. I also know that USB port works because I can use other devices in it, both in Kubuntu and in Windows.

When I connect the phone to my Asus netbook (also a Kubuntu PC), it sees the phone. With the netbook I was able to transfer a bunch of my photos over to the phone. I'm having no such luck with the Lenovo. Both these are Kubuntu 13.10 machines. What's going on? Why is the Lenovo having problems that the netbook isn't?

I do know on my Sandisk Clip MP3 player, I could not transfer any files from laptop to MP3 player until I changed the USB mode. I had to change it from MTP to MSC. Then it worked just fine. Is there some kind of mode like that in Kubuntu?

I haven't upgraded to 14.04 yet. Has the new Kubuntu improved in support for Android phones?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

it sounds like your missing mtp support on the one kubuntu machine.
    be sure you have the package kio-mtp installed on both machines (as that is the kIO slave for mtp )

also be sure your phone is not locked or in sleep mode when attempting to access it this may stop mtp from working till you wake the device.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      it sounds like your missing mtp support on the one kubuntu machine.
      be sure you have the package kio-mtp installed on both machines (as that is the kIO slave for mtp )

also be sure your phone is not locked or in sleep mode when attempting to access it this may stop mtp from working till you wake the device.
      Thanks for the info, but still no luck. I looked in Synaptic Package Manager and saw that kio-mtp was indeed already installed. I did a complete uninstall and then reinstalled it, but it still could not read my phone. I tried rebooting, but it still did not work. What was interesting was as the Lenovo splash screen came up, my phone lit up, giving me false hope that it was going to work. I know the USB port works because other devices work in it. Plus, if I reboot into Windows 7, the phone can be seen. It's something in Kubuntu.

I wonder if it would help to upgrade this thing from 13.10 to 14.04.
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_ZeCat View Post
        ...I wonder if it would help to upgrade this thing from 13.10 to 14.04...
        FWIW, In another forum (a local one) a poster told me he was expecting improved support for MTP in 14.04.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X