X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother DCP-J552DW scanner problems

Hi,

New poster here, hope someone can help.

I bought a Brother DCP-J552DW all in one printer/copier/scanner at the weekend. I want to use it wireless so haven't bothered with any hard-wired connections.

I was able to get the printer working using the Brother downloads here (I haven't been allowed to post this as a proper link, so I removed the http://);

*support.brother.com/g/b/downloadlist.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=dcpj552dw_eu_a s&os=128

and configuring with CUPS.

However, I can't get the scanner working at all. I used the instructions in this link;

*support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=gb&lang=en&prod=dcpj552dw_eu_ as&os=128&dlid=dlf006645_000&flang=4&type3=566

and here is the GREP output;

ii brscan-skey 0.2.4-1 amd64 Brother Linux scanner S-KEY tool
    ii brscan4 0.4.2-1 amd64 Brother Scanner Driver
    ii dcpj552dwcupswrapper 3.0.0-1 i386 Brother CUPS Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii dcpj552dwlpr 3.0.0-1 i386 Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions
    ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.3-4ubuntu1 amd64 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers

Unfortunately, the brscan* files are only in the Download directory where I did the install and not in anywhere else I can see.

If I try and run Skanlite it hangs up and Xsane not only hangs but requires a system reboot. GIMP also hangs up when it is looking for a scanner. The problem seems to be the Xsane backend not knowing about the scanner.

Can anyone offer any help? I've been searching the net without success.

Even more annoyingly, I also have a Windows laptop that can see the scanner without me actually doing anything.

Thanks in advance,

Carole

Hi

I installed a brother DCP 7055 printer/scanner/copier some time back (not wireless).

First check in the muon package manager whether the brscan files are installed. From experience if you didn't install them in the right order, there will be dependency problems.
    If they are not, ensure all the printer installation files are in a special folder. Then open that folder with dolphin and hit F4 to launch a terminal window targeted at that folder. Then type

sudo dpkg i*.deb

Then password

All the files should then properly install.

Then run Xsane. If it connects, great. If it doesn't then open a terminal and type:

kdesudo xsane

Then your password

If you can now connect to the scanner then it is a permission issue. You need to make yourself as user a member of the scanner and saned groups.

There is a useful guide here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ScanningHowTo

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I've had a look and it all looked fine, but to make sure I've gone through and rerun the installation of the brscan files.

I am still getting problems where the scanning app cannot find a scanner (wireless, I don't have a physical connection). Even running xsane under sudo, it still cannot find the scanner and all I see is a box saying it is searching for scanners.

Comment

Are you able to connect the scanner with a USB cable, so that you can run the kdesudo command again, to rule out a basic installation problem?

Comment

Hi,

Unfortunately not, because I don't have a cable. The printer/scanner didn't come with one and I'd have to buy one to test it.

Comment

Okay, you might like to take a look here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/395926/brother-dcp-7055w

Go to the final comment on the page

It appears the brscan files are rather more than simple drivers. They also appear to set up the scanner.

Follow the first 2 commands and see if the scanner is found and identified. Then follow the final 2 commands to configure it.

Hope that helps

Ian
            Last edited by The Liquidator; Jun 12, 2014, 09:02 AM. Reason: Made a mistake

Comment

Thanks again Ian.

I've tried the things suggested and I still can't get it to work. Xsane still hangs up.

brscan-skey -l doesn't show anything at all.

I tried the config stuff, though.

Here is what I get from GREP

carole@carole-desktop:~$ brsaneconfig4 -q | grep SCANNER
              0 SCANNER "DCP-J552DW" I:192.168.1.198
              carole@carole-desktop:~$

192.168.1.198 is the correct IP address for the device, because that is what the printer uses and is what the display shows on the box.

I think I will have to give up. At least I can scan to a SD card and then copy the images across.

It will stop me wasting any more of your time.

Thanks for trying to help, though.

Carole

Comment

Did you run the brsaneconfig4 -a command, which, although I might be wrong, appears to be the one that actually configures sane to contact the scanner?

Comment

Yes, I did run that, and the GREP output came up showing what I'd put in

Comment

Working...
                  X