This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

resolution makes things too small

I recently installed Kubuntu 14.04 with KDE 4.13.0 on my home laptop, and the display hurts my eyes. Everything is too small. The icons are really small and the normal text is almost unreadable to me. When I first installed it, the resolution was too large and blurry. When I updated to the Nvidia graphics drivers its too small.

I checked in the system settings -> displays and monitors -> display configuration, but the only resolution available is 1920 x 1080. That is the resolution I used to use on Windows 7 and it looked fine. My laptop has a 17.5 inch screen, but everything is still too small.

I was hoping just using a slightly lower resolution would fix the problem, but it doesn't have one listed to test it. I use Kubuntu on my workstation at work which has a Nvidia card, but the monitors there are larger, so it looks fine. Is there anyway to make things bigger on my laptop?

Thanks for reading.

I managed to change the font and icon sizes, which helped some. But, things like the panel bar at the bottom and the max/min/exit applications buttons at the top of windows are too small. I can't seem to fix those. Is there an option for that?

Comment

To change the height of the panel at the bottom, right click on the desktop and select unlock widgets. Then right click on the panel, choose panel options then panel settings and a height adjuster will appear, which you can use to drag it to a height you like. The icons on the panel will automatically resize.

Hope that helps a bit!

Feathers
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Yes that helped a little. I didn't realize adjusting the height would change the icon size. Thanks. I've got it looking a little better now.

Comment

Most apps will allow you to zoom if you press CTRL+ too. Most web browsers seem to remember this on a per-site basis; if you want to set it globally there's usually a minimum font size setting somewhere that can be used to override the site's theme. Whether this looks crap or not depends on how the site was coded!
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

If you need to change your screen resolution, from Kicker (application menu/launcher)/Applications/Settings/NVidia X Server Settings/X Server Display Configuration/Resolution (3rd on the right) Click Quit twice to exit.
            Linux User #454271

Comment

I would strongly advice against lowering the resolution of the screen, this was an option on the old CRT monitors but looks horrible on LCD.

KDE is very good with options to resize just about anything, like the example with the icons in the panel.

Go in System Settings to Program Appearance and then select Icons and Advanced, here you can set the icon size in pixels.
              Below Icons is the input for fonts, just increase them one or two pixels at a time untill you are comfortable.

Comment

Working...
              X