Clear All

Problem with specific accent in French

Click image for larger version

Name:	Accent_Issue.png
Views:	2
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	648178
    Hello

I'm using AZERTY keyboard and I have now a problem with specific accents ^ and ¨
    The rules are: hit first the accent key and then the letter (example ^e)
    It was running perfectly before upgrade to Trusty
    Now the result is OK with Kate and inside a Konsole but not with LibreOffice, Chromium, Thunderbird ... (have a look to attached snapshot)
    Has anybody a solution to solve this issue?

Cheers : TuxMario

I have a US (QWERTY) keyboard that is set to US-International and all accents and other non-ascii characters work both in the console and in LibreOffice etc.

I don't think it's in the language settings of Thunderbird and LibreOffice because they have little or nothing in common.

So I'd have a look at the setting of your keyboard:
    System Settings/ Hardware/ Input/ Keyboard/ Settings
    Enable the tick box for Set Up (I don't have an English set up, wording might differ but it's the tick box in the middle)

Comment

Cannot add accents to typed characters using GTK-based programs

Me and a friend are having the same issue as the original poster. Here's what we have to add...

After the upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04, creating accents works in all KDE programs (Kate, Rekonq, KMail, ...) but will not work in GTK-based programs (Thunderbird, Firefox, Chromium/Chrome).

French or Spanish or ___, the user's language is irrelevant--it's the input stack that's creating 'a instead of á.

Does anyone now know how to add accents to typed characters in GTK-based programs? Or know of the relevant input subsystem that made this work in the past?

Even the old, clunky method of typing Ctrl-Shift-U-<unicode hex>-Space doesn't work anymore :/

FYI: This is how to enable the cool, accent-creating abilities of KDE by enabling the "Compose" key:

1. Go to System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced tab.
      2. Check "Configure keyboard options", expand "Position of Compose key", check "Left Win"
      3. Click Apply
      4. To test, go to Kate, type left Windows key+apostrophe then type the letter a. You should see á.

Actually quite useful. I think it should be enabled by default.

Comment

Originally posted by XandarKablandar View Post
        Me and a friend are having the same issue as the original poster. Here's what we have to add...

After the upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04, creating accents works in all KDE programs (Kate, Rekonq, KMail, ...) but will not work in GTK-based programs (Thunderbird, Firefox, Chromium/Chrome).

French or Spanish or ___, the user's language is irrelevant--it's the input stack that's creating 'a instead of á.

Does anyone now know how to add accents to typed characters in GTK-based programs? Or know of the relevant input subsystem that made this work in the past?

Even the old, clunky method of typing Ctrl-Shift-U-<unicode hex>-Space doesn't work anymore :/

FYI: This is how to enable the cool, accent-creating abilities of KDE by enabling the "Compose" key:

1. Go to System Settings -> Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Advanced tab.
        2. Check "Configure keyboard options", expand "Position of Compose key", check "Left Win"
        3. Click Apply
        4. To test, go to Kate, type left Windows key+apostrophe then type the letter a. You should see á.

Actually quite useful. I think it should be enabled by default.
        Thanks for this info! I'm going to try it since I write both in French and German, but use an American keyboard. I actually made special toolbars in LibreOffice Writer for the French and German accented letters that American keyboards don't have.

There is also one other option besides the toolbars I made or the system you mention. There's a system tray widget you can install. There needs to be an empty space in the system tray that you can right click on. Do so and choose "panel options" and make sure widgets are unlocked. Once they're unlocked, choose that same "panel options" and then "add widgets". Look for a widget named "Character selector". Once you've installed that, an icon shows up in the system tray that looks like a key with the letter a with the French grave accent mark (the one that slopes down). When you click on that and choose "Latin Supplement 1," you get all the possible French vowels with accents.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

Problem with specific accent in French

Click image for larger version

Name:	Accent_Issue.png
Views:	2
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	642556

Hello

I'm using AZERTY keyboard and I have a problem with specific accents ^ and ¨
          The rules are: hit first the accent key and then the letter (example ^e)
          It was running perfectly before upgrade to Trusty
          Now the result is OK with most applications (Kate, Konsole, LibreOffice, etc...) but not with some GTK applications (Firefox, Chromium, Thunderbird ...) (have a look to attached snapshot)
          The problem is still present after upgrade to Utopic
          The problem is linked with KDE user environment because
          I created a new user and he has no problem with accent!
          I run also Ubuntu (multi boot on my laptop) with the same user and have no problem with accent

Does anybody have any glue to help me finding where to look for to solve this issue?. ( inside .kde files probably)

Cheers : TuxMario

Comment

Yes likely fixable in .kde, I know it's not the most intelligent option but I would simply rename it to .kde-old, this will cause the system to make a new default .kde version.
            In case you lose too many other settings you can always revert to the original.

Comment

Hello
              Thanks for your answer
              I was looking for more detailed solution but finally I did it. Bad luck ! The problem is still there!
              I'm still looking for another idea or solution

Cheers

Comment

got the same problem, after a bit of research, solved it by adding in $HOME/.bashrc

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
                export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

I dont master all the consequences, but it does the trick for me !

Comment

Hello

Thanks for this solution (bypass) which is working for me only when I write these 2 lines in the top of .bashrc

NB : Today I'm running Kubuntu 15.04

Comment

I got the following bypass provided by "cerien"

Add the following 2 lines in the top of file "$HOME/.bashrc "

export GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
                    export QT_IM_MODULE=xim

NB : cerien and me don't master all the consequences, but it does the trick for us !
                    NB : Today I'm running Kubuntu 15.04

Comment

Working...
                    X