This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Phonon does not see usb web camera in Kubuntu 14.04

A Logitech Web Camera is not visible in System settings > Phonon Video Recording Settings,
    BUT it IS visible as an audio recording device.

The camera can be used as microphone for Skype but not as video camera for Skype.

Kamoso shows video but cannot take photo nor video recording.

Cheese works perfectly taking photos and videos.

Anyone have any experience setting this up with Ver 14.04?
    Volunteer OS Installer and Supporter for New Linux Users.
    So much to learn.... So little time!

What model?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My Logitech webcam has been that way since phonon first appeared. As in your case, skype, cheese and even skanlite are happy to use it, so the phonon non-recognition is not an issue for any practical purpose.

Comment

The camera is a Logitech. HD 720 P

By the Way, as another test yesterday, I installed Google Hangouts and the Video works with that so it looks like Skype, the newest version of which is for Ubuntu 12.04 does not yet support 14.04.

Strange that Phonon would not see it though.... or is it?

Comment

My webcam is:

Code:
          Bus 004 Device 002: ID 046d:08d7 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate STX
          To use it with skype, there is a "preload" script that I run -- I named it skypelauncher.sh.

Code:
          #!/bin/sh
          export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
          LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
          env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U
          exit 0
          With this script in my home folder, and of course with v4l installed, I merely edited the skype icon which sits on my panel, to invoke the script to start it. I'm on Debian sid, so this is skype 4.2.0.13 for Debian multiarch.

Comment

OK I have to admit to stupidity make an appology.

First an explanation. I do not use Skype but several people that I introduced to Linux do. On the recent upgrade to Kubuntu 14.04 one of them told me that Skype no longer worked. It did not display a video image. Since I do not use it, I did not know what it should look like but when I tried configuring it I confirmed that a test call to Skype did not display a video image. Then I went to Phonon settings which at one time at least displayed the video camera under Video settings. There was no Video camera listed which confirmed, in my mind, that something was broken. That led to the above exchange.

Today I went back to the "client" with my tablet to test the client's Skype with a call. When I made a call to the client's computer, the video worked. What the ? That's when the client said "Oh Yes! Now I remember that you have to have a connection to someone in order for the video to work." I just smiled.

So now I know that Skype needs a connection to someone other than Skype test call to actually display video.

Sorry for bothering you all with this needless angst.

Comment

All of us, for issues of our own, we will all just say "Been there; done that!"
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X