This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Basic Networking Help

Been using Kubuntu for about 2 years now. I must do some network configuration but networking is not my strong suit. Basically, I need to keep unauthorized people from logging into my wireless network. I have set up other accounts on my computer and, using the Connection Editor GUI, have attempted to exclude them from network access via "Edit Connection/General/Advanced" but the other users can access the connection when the session which possesses network privileges has been logged into.

Connection editor has no help file and I can't find any documentation - I have no idea what "Restrict to device" does nor do I have any idea how to use many of the other options in Edit or Add Connection. If someone would be kind enough to instruct me, I would be grateful.

I have also installed Gufw and Firewall Builder in the hopes that they might be able to help me resolve my issues but I'm left with more questions than I started with. I realize that my ignorance may be too great for you to help but anything you can do would be gratefully accepted.

So, UserA, who has permission to access wifi logs in to the desktop, connects as expected, then logs of, and the next person UserX who logs in (whom you DON'T want to access wifi) can access it?

Do you have a password set up on your router?

Comment

You can do this using iptables rules
      http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...-iptables?lq=1
      but i do not see any gui firewall config tool that offers the options you need ---yet

Comment

Sorry about not getting back to you guys - I am grateful for all the help. Life gets in the way sometimes.

I have gained some knowledge in the interim and found that I was so ignorant that I didn't even ask the right question. I can limit wireless access just fine. What i'm having problems with is restricting network access to other users who log into the computer which is acting as a server and which doubles as our family computer. They have their own account on the computer and can see the internet if my primary account is logged in but locked.

I discovered that the "Restrict to Device" option is for restricting which hardware device in the computer has access to the connection you're creating. So if you have 2 networking cards installed, as I have, this allows you to choose which device is associated with the connection. I also learned that (with the new Kununtu "Trusty Tahr" upgrade that I recently installed) I can use Connection Editor to set multiple manual IP addresses for the connection and I also learned that setting the connection to "Shared" gives the device a shared address of 10.42.*.* (discovered via command-line IFConfig), which is good to know since I need to be on the same subnet when configuring my external WAP.

All this and more I learned from trial and error. There's still no documentation on the connection editor, even though they mention that it's "new and improved" on the Kubuntu upgrade page. Also, still no apparent way to limit different users from access. I was aware that this could be done through IPTables but this is one of those things that you don't do very often so you really want some sort of GUI to help you so you don't have to relearn how to do it all over again or hunt down your notes from the last time. I was hoping that GUFW or some other utility could help me but nobody has given much thought in the open source community to this problem.

Comment

Working...
        X