This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

14.04 DVD not recognised by Update Manager 13.10

I downloaded 14.04 (amd64) .iso and burned to DVD-RW. I'd think that 13.10's Update Manager should be able to recognise it as a source, given that it auto-detects as a device and it shows and is browseable in Dolphin. What gives? I'd really rather not have wasted 1GB of capped-account data and have to get it all over again! BTW - same iso burned to DVD+R, same problem....
    Now find /media/cdrom not present! It's at /cdrom (or should be), so I symlinked. Still no joy - Error: E:\ failed to mount... Something screwed here, do I have to mount manually or by /etc/fstab entry? If so, how?

You have to add the CD as a source.

Assuming you have Muon Package Manager installed, launch it and click on Settings > Configure Sofware Sources > Other Software and click Add CD-ROM...
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Can we still upgrade from the iso image? I didn't think we could anymore, as there is no longer the special DVD iso, not since 12.04, after which Ubuntu stopped offering this option.
      The install iso is mostly a disk image blasted onto the partitions, there are very few actual deb files on there to actually perform an upgrade.

Comment

Can't answer that, but if it is doable, adding the CD-ROM as a source is what would be necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Can't answer that, but if it is doable, adding the CD-ROM as a source is what would be necessary.
          https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/R...m_Ubuntu_13.10

Comment

Offline upgrade options via alternate CDs are no longer offered for Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu Server.
            Answers that.

Comment

Re: [CONFIGURATION] 14.04 DVD not recognised by Update Manager 13.10

Answers that.
              ...Sorta suspected that. "squashfs" pointed in that direction. Still, reference to the manifest should give pointers to what is available there, and a squashfs 'plugin' or lib should give access. What say? Meanwhile, thanks to all, and back on line...
              Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Apr 20, 2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Re: [CONFIGURATION] 14.04 DVD not recognised by Update Manager 13.10

Answers that.
                Further thoughts:
                We've been considering 13.10 upgrading to 14.04. How about 14.04 'running live' from DVD or USB and upgrading the existing 13.10? I dimly recall Mandriva working this way, with a choice of Run / Install / Upgrade when new download is booted. The 14.04 Install accesses squashfs already - why not use that? or does use of squashfs preclude normal filesystem to assess state of 13.10? What say y'all?

Comment

I don't think so - the upgrade process needs actual deb files, and the squashfs is a base file system with binaries, libs, etc already in place. Now, if your /home is on a separate partition, if you did a clean install, you would not lose any user data, but obviously would lose any extra software and system customizations.

I really don't know, to be honest.

Comment

Working...
                  X