X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scrolling broken

I have a rather bizarre problem.

Upgrade went well, but I thought my touchpad seemed a little more sensitive than usual afterwards (might just be my imagination; in any case I wanted to tweak the settings a bit). So I went into system settings > input devices > touchpad.

There seem to be some new options, like the 'testing area'. I increased noise cancellation, turned on horizontal scrolling which I'd disabled previously, turned tap-to-click on and off a few times, turned off coasting and turned on circular scrolling. I was just experimenting - at one point I tried increasing 'pressure for detecting a touch' A LOT and ended up having to use the entire palm of my hand to move the cursor to undo that setting!
    Last but not least, I fiddled with the scrolling distance. I'm still confused by how it works, but my intention was to slow down scrolling speed, which I haven't managed to do. I've now put it back to the default (maximum) value.

After fiddling with the settings for the first time I discovered that 2-finger scrolling in Pidgin was behaving strangely; I had to click on a few different parts of the window before it would work. I'm not sure how long it was before I discovered ALL my applications were behaving like this. I can't see any pattern to it, but generally if I try to use 2-finger scrolling I can't straight away, and have to click randomly all over the place before it becomes enabled. I never had this problem before.

I tried setting all the touchpad parameters back to their defaults (or as close to their defaults as I could remember), without any success. Seems like I've permanently broken scrolling
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

I discovered what the problem was. Prior to upgrading, I'd found that unless I turned on 'disable touchpad when typing', the cursor would jump all over the place when I was typing. Somehow after the upgrade, the timeout for disabling the touchpad got way too long (8 seconds!)
    I didn't change it, so I'm not sure what happened. Maybe I accidentally moved the slider when I was fiddling with other settings. In any case, I've unchecked that option and so far, in the course of writing this post, I haven't had any cursor-jumping issues.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Working...
    X