• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a great release so far no hicups - very pleased
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Just a testimonial... Upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04 tonight and it was flawless. While I've been using Kubuntu since 11.10 as my main desktop distro, I did have to get a new computer last fall so this was the first upgrade on this computer (a Dell 660 Inspiron, FWIW) and, like all my Kubuntu upgrades on my last computer, I had no issues. It did ask me at one point if I wanted to keep my previous Grub configuration file. I have Windows 8.1 on here and to get a Grub/Kubuntu boot I had to use Boot Repair the first time I installed 13.10, so I guessed "Yes" and kept the old Grub file (my only moment of terror in the upgrade), but it worked when I re-started, so no problem. (And by the way, I should probably just ditch the Windows 8.1 since I haven't had any urge or reason to boot it since a week or two after I bought the computer and installed Kubuntu.) So far 14.04 seems quicker and crisper than 13.10... Kudos to the Kubuntu team for another great release of what I consider to be the best OS distro out there.

Comment

After the initial slowness I mentioned in an earlier post somehow the problem worked itself out and now Kubuntu 14.04 is running fine on my desktop and once again I'm a happy user. The upgrade on my Lenovo netbook went without a hitch, so I guess it was something else that caused the problem. I have noticed that flash doesn't work well on some websites when I use Firefox 29, but there are no problems with Chrome.

Comment

I still haven't upgraded yet. I was coming in here to ask how people like (or dislike) the upgrade thus far. It's in progress on a little netbook that I rarely use. I figured I'll try out on a less important computer and see how I like it first.
          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
          ================================

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
            My understnd from a mailing list (take it FWIW) is that lightdm is used because if you have both Unity and KDE installed, KDM can not launch Unity.
            No unity/gnome here. Just KDE with those other 3 DM's installed.
            KDE Rules!

Comment

Hello,

I did a fresh install and it's rock !!

Comment

+1

Comment

Upgraded in situ from 13.10. Initially seemed a bit slow, but once rebooted a couple of times, as fast and responsive as ever. I am very pleased with the upgrade.
                  Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                  Always consider Occam's Razor
                  Rich

Comment

Only thing I've found that I had to do was to reset my ~/.kde folder but no biggie. After that everything ran smooth and no issues. I've been very pleased with this release.

Comment

I have to agree Kubuntu 14.04 rocks - I have tried most if not all of the recent big releases and Kubuntu tops them all - Well Done. It now sits equal with SolydK in terms of "it just works!!!"
                      To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Comment

Works perfectly for me on one of my machines
                        kubuntu 20.10

Comment

I'm generally happy, but I am frustrated that it monkey wrenched some of KOrganizer's features. Specifically, I assign categories to all my appointments and colors to each category. In the earlier version of Kubuntu, I could look at my calender and see all my Skype appointments (blue), in person appointments (red), pencil-ins (gray), and everything else (green). I can do this now and it works at first, but as soon as I exit and come back into KOrganizer all my color coding is gone. I've reported the error to KOrganizer. I really hope they fix it. It's probably unique to Kubuntu.
                          Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
                          ================================

Comment

+1

I have been distro hopping last few weeks, trying things out, i have to admit that at the start of the journey I was not a fan of KDE having used it in the past,
                            but,
                            really loving Kubuntu right now!!!
                            Sony Vaio i5 laptop(32bit); everything works with moderate amount of tinkering to get going, cpufreq, hibernate/sleep, vaio function keys brightness/volume, wifi, running on a SSD its looks amazing and very smooth. The only issue here was dist-upgrade broke bluethooth (mouse) and wifi/network manager, had to re-install those items and reluctant to do dist-upgrade these days.
                            AMD Quad 4.2GHz desktop(32bit): sacroficed some RAM for more gaming compatibility steam etc, is there a way to use the whole 8 gigs? so far its only seeing 4. otherwise it's smooth like a babies bottom, with radeon 7950 3gb on SSD. cpufreq scaling doesnt work, but i think its the CPU? not too sure, not that important on this machine.
                            AMD Quad 3.2GHz server(64bit): my first and oldest Kubuntu install, oldest being a month or two old. Rock solid so far, knock wood, running samba and plex for our house, not 24/7 but almost.

thats my shoutout to the world - Loving Kubuntu

peace
                            K 14.4 64 AMD 955be3200MHz 8GB 1866Mhz 6TB Plex/samba.etc.+ Macbook Air 13".

Comment

-removed by author-
                              See here 1st.https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Qs-amp-Answers

Comment

Originally posted by millusions View Post
                                AMD Quad 4.2GHz desktop(32bit): sacroficed some RAM for more gaming compatibility steam etc, is there a way to use the whole 8 gigs? so far its only seeing 4. ...
                                PAE for 32 bit Kubuntu since 12.04 has been enabled. However, perhaps your system hasn't installed a PAE kernel.
                                There is a howto here.
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X