X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop effects are not available on this system

If I go into the desktop effects panel in system settings, I see this;

Desktop effects are not available on this system due to the following technical issues.

OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.

This happens since I updated from 13.04 to 14.04 amd64 yesterday. I thought it might have something to do with the NVidia (sounds like invidious, doesn't it?) driver, so I went back to Xorg, but without rebooting. Now I do not get that message, but hitting alt+shift+f12 changes nothing. No halo around the windows.

It also says I "might want to use the XRender backend instead." I have absolutly no idea what that means.

Nor do I know anything about OpenGL or KWin and have been very happy that way -- up til now.

I have seen other entries on this problem, but none in 14.04 yet, so I am opening a new topic.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

I would clean cache and reset kwin (desktop effects) to default settings.

1) Logout
    2) Ctrl+Alt+F1 and login
    3) sudo service lightdm stop
    4) rm ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
    5) cd /var/tmp
    6) sudo rm -r kdecache-*
    7) sudo reboot
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

If you go to System Settings and type xrender or opengl in the search bar, Desktop Settings will light up.
      Get in there and select the Advanced tab, in the top box you can select different types of compositing.

Comment

in the same tab teunis said is an option to set the OpenGL version . i know on some drivers not all the openGl3.1 effects will load up . try using openGL 2.0 and if that fails xrender might be your only chance with stable effects.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X