This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound from RHS speakers

Hi all, installed TT a couple of weeks ago, and I've been so impressed with it - fast, stable, full featured.

However, I've encountered what I think is a bug, and wanted to see if anyone could verify it. The system is an old Athlon 64 single core, and I have a Creative Audigy SE sound card, which looks to have been correctly identified by the OS, with a 5.1 amp and speaker system.

The problem is that the sound card emits silence on both front right and rear right channels - amarok, VLC and the hardware test app all exhibit the same problem - I didn't notice it until I played a track with extreme stereo separation, whenI heard that half the lead guitar break was missing. So much for my golden ears, lol

I triple boot with (K)uantal and Win 8 and sound plays on all channels with both of those, so it's not a hardware issue. Unhapplily, Kmix fails to load so I can't verify that the silent channels aren't simply muted.

Any ideas on how to diagnose / fix, given tnat Kmix is Knix'd? Is there a command line request to verify / umute muted channels?

Hello. Try opening Konsole and typing
    Code:
    sudo alsamixer
    This will let you see every channel, adjust their volumes, and unmute if necessary. Good luck.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Solved!

Thank you so much, dequire - I completely forgot about alsamixer. It showed that the right hand channels were indeed muted, not faulty. Weirdly, the levels for all channels were set differently - presumably, this is how the driver set itself.

Anyway, thanks again - I'm off to watch Gravity in 5.1.. :-)
      Last edited by Pablo Pablo; Apr 17, 2014, 01:09 PM. Reason: Solved..

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo Pablo View Post
        Thank you so much, dequire - I completely forgot about alsamixer. It showed that the right hand channels were indeed muted, not faulty. Weirdly, the levels for all channels were set differently - presumably, this is how the driver set itself.

Anyway, thanks again - I'm off to watch Gravity in 5.1.. :-)
        Glad to help!
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
        X