Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System settings: multiple windows for single application > one tabbed window

How do I force multiple windows (say multiple spreadsheets in LibreOffice) to appear in a single tabbed window? I know I can do this in System Settings, but I'm completely unable to locate where, can't find anything about this via Google, nor in a forum search here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hmm, I'm at work, and away from my Kubuntu systems, but I am thinking that am application-specific kwin rule might be what you are looking for.

http://userbase.kde.org/KWin_Rules

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

I use a custom kwin rule on my media center to open XBMC as a full screen borderless window with no title bar, as it allows me to keep an auto-hidden panel available to me , and I don't have to close XBMC when I jump to something else on occasion.

I'll bet there is a way to do what you want, though the editor is a tad complex.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

I believe it's in Window setting and the function you're looking for is "Move to Window Group"

Click on the far left window decoration to see the option. Also, you can set a mouse button (like the middle one, if you have it) to allow you to just drag and drop together or separate from each other.

Please Read Me

Comment

you half to be using the right window decoration for window tabbing to work ,,,,,,,, that would be Oxygen .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Don't think it's that complicated. I run four Kubuntu installations (all 13.10). On two, when I launch jEdit (text editor) or LibreOffice Calc, both will relaunch previous sessions encompassing multiple windows, and all will appear in a single jEdit/LO window with multiple tabs. Ditto for other programs that can launch multiple windows. In my two other KB installs, both done last week, everything appears in separate windows, and I can't get a grouped, multi-tabbed window for an application program to appear. I do recall finding a setting for this in System Settings, and thought I made a note about it (I tend to do that), but can't locate the note.

It's very convenient to run things this way, so I want these later two installs to "get the memo".

Comment

Oh no! It's about themes Never in my wildest imagination did I expect that. Unbelievable.

OK...off to check this out.

=====

OK - checked it out. First, there's no way to address this issue in the Oxygen theme - that I can see. Second, all my boxes are running Oxygen, so that's probably now what's controlling the tabbed application window option.

I have tabbed windows in ALL my browsers, for example (Chrome, Firefox, Opera), and IN in window are also multiple tabs, for multiple URLs. I've not asked for this at the browser level. It's just the way the OS is handling it. But I don't know why. There has to be an OS setting somewhere. I do think I recall finding it, once.
              Last edited by tomcloyd; Apr 07, 2014, 05:15 PM. Reason: update

Comment

I just clicked the button at the far left of a window caption, took the "More actions" menu option, then the "Window Manager Settings" menu option, and got a modal window. I search in that for "tab" and "group", as well as every single checked option it showed, and nowhere could I find anything relating to getting multiple open windows to appear in a single tabbed window.

Nuts. Sigh...but thanks.

Comment

I did find in Special Windows Settings > Arrangement & Access some Autogroup options but they didn't seem very easy to use. In System Settings > Window Behavior > Advanced I see the option to "Automatically group similar windows" but I'm not sure if that's what you want.

Please Read Me

Comment

you dont get this option?

and if you have this setup like so .................................................. ........

new windows will open as tabs of the original ,,,,,you can see 3 Konsole tabs in the shot.

VINNY
                    Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 07, 2014, 08:12 PM. Reason: added additional screenshot
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny, you da man!

1. I did NOT know about that "attach as tab to..." option. Very cool.

2. That "automatically group similar windows" IS WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR! Yes.

Whew!

Thanks to all for their contributions. And to Vinny, special thanks for nailing it AND teaching me a new option.

Comment

Working...
                      X