X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akonadi server help...yep...

is it as simple as deleting the errors?
    Last edited by papapenguin; May 31, 2014, 06:40 PM.

Akonadi server help...yep...

sorry, previously put this in the wrong category...

hi, I'm new to Kubuntu...just came over from Gentoo...help!

I tried to import my Kmail and other Kontact info from my old hard drive, but with no luck...

I then copied ALL of my home folder into the new home folder and most works without a hitch...except this Akonadi error...this may have been the wrong way to do things, I realize...
    http://pastebin.com/Gp2wxsBb

thanks!
    Last edited by papapenguin; Mar 29, 2014, 04:41 PM. Reason: incorrect link (chose HTML 1st time)

Comment

I have deleted your other thread and moved your question here.

It isn't enough to copy the mail and calendar data. You also need to create the Akonadi resources for each IMAP account, SMTP account, calendar account, and addressbook account. In fact, you should do this before you copy the information.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        I have deleted your other thread and moved your question here.

It isn't enough to copy the mail and calendar data. You also need to create the Akonadi resources for each IMAP account, SMTP account, calendar account, and addressbook account. In fact, you should do this before you copy the information.
        thanks SteveRiley...the problem is that I tried to import through KMail CVT and couldn't find any files associated with my previous emails...then I read about how Akonadi stores information and, frankly, became more confused than ever...

So, where would I find the steps to do such a process?

...the thing is that I'm trying to recreate my entire profile to another computer from a failing drive...and I'm lost as to how to do it...specifically the email, calendar and contacts...

Comment

where would I find the steps to set up these services?

When I installed Kubuntu, I tried to import messages, but found none on my old hard drive...then when searching for Akonadi and PIM instructions, I didn't find technical, or step by step processes...

I used Gentoo for years, and I'm new to Ubuntu and Kubuntu...the reason for the change was that my hard drive began to fail and I wasn't able to log into my old profile...which is what I'd like to do from here...just move my profile from one computer to another...

Please help!

Comment

Is your mail also stored on an IMAP server somewhere, or only locally on your PC?

Comment

only locally, that is the problem...it is a POP3 account

Comment

Originally posted by papapenguin View Post
                only locally, that is the problem...it is a POP3 account
                POP3 is generally not a good protocol to use anymore, for this very reason.

Someone on the Kubuntu users mailing list had a similar problem. Our very own Claydoh posted a possible method for retrieving the mail. The link contains the full thread; Clay's response is the portion that begins with two left angle brackets.

If this doesn't work for you, I wouldn't know what else to suggest. I have used only GMail and IMAP for mail, and thus haven't had to work with any procedures for retrieving mail from local message stores.

Comment

Thanks, but right now I can't do anything in Kontact or KMail...every time I start the program, the PIM Service tries to start then says:
                  The Akonadi Personal Information management service is not operational.
                  and I'm stuck...

Comment

Did you try working with the kmailcvt tool along with the other steps Clay mentioned in the email thread?

Also, you might find more people familiar with the innards of Akonadi over at the KDE forums. I'm afraid I haven't dug into it enough to help you with recovering local mail resources.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      Did you try working with the kmailcvt tool along with the other steps Clay mentioned in the email thread?

Also, you might find more people familiar with the innards of Akonadi over at the KDE forums. I'm afraid I haven't dug into it enough to help you with recovering local mail resources.
                      yes, I tried, but like I said, I cannot even get to kmailcvt because as soon as Kmail, or Kontact starts I get the akonadi error, which basically locks me out of the program

Comment

here is the latest...it seems that I've gotten rid of my MySQL errors...

http://pastebin.com/qLLVt8Q4

now the next thing I'm trying to fix is
                        Akonadi control process not registered at D-Bus

Comment

well it turns out that my last hard drive was toast and had corrupted my KDE profile (created on Gentoo).

I got another hard drive, installed Kubuntu, set up my mail, then actually found (miracle of miracles) the back up files for all of my emails and contact information (I had saved it to a larger drive, luckily)...it was then almost simple to use CVT to copy the folders to my new system...

Comment

So everything's working well, then?

Comment

Working...
                            X