X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Bootable Device insert boot disk and press any key

Hi all,

I have freshly installed kubuntu 13.10 over entire hard disk replacing the previously installed ubuntu 13.10. At the time of booting, an error message is displayed on the screen stating "No Bootable Device --insert boot disk and press any key". However, I am successfully able to boot kubuntu from the BIOS setup.

I am a linux newbie and have rather little knowledge about it. Please suggest a way to resolve this issue so that I don't have to enter BIOS setup each and every time I boot the OS.

Thanks

I'm a bit confused as to how this works, but if you can boot into Kubuntu somehow - just re-install grub and it should work. Assuming a single drive system or booting from the first drive of a multidrive system:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub

should fix it.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've tried these commands but still the same error message is there and no GRUB !

Comment

Originally posted by ologn13 View Post
        Hi all,

I have freshly installed kubuntu 13.10 over entire hard disk replacing the previously installed ubuntu 13.10.
        ? was this to "fix" a problem? and was it working before?

At the time of booting, an error message is displayed on the screen stating "No Bootable Device --insert boot disk and press any key". However, I am successfully able to boot kubuntu from the BIOS setup.
        please describe this in detail ,,,,,and are you in the BIOS setup or a boot device/from screen ?

I am a linux newbie and have rather little knowledge about it. Please suggest a way to resolve this issue so that I don't have to enter BIOS setup each and every time I boot the OS.

Thanks
        do what you do to get booted into Kubuntu ,,,,, open a terminal and post the output of
        Code:
        sudo parted -l
        (that’s a lower case L)this will show us the drive/drives layout .
        is the HD set to boot in the BIOS and is it set first second ? ? ,,, it dose not half to be first , I just want to know how you have the boot priority list set.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

If there is no grub, then those commands will produce error messages. Any chance you've got BIOS set to boot to the CDROM instead of hard drive or to another hard drive?

Please Read Me

Comment

@vinnywright, sorry for the late reply, my internet connectivity was broken. Answering your questions, I installed kubuntu over ubuntu, because of GPU problems. I have a radeon GPU. I was installing GPUocelot for running CUDA packages. After installation of all dependencies and GPUocelot, i rebooted and it was the famous black screen of death. I searched it, and tried every option available there but no luck.
            I pressed esc , and then f9 to enter the boot device options. Then I selected kubuntu from there. However, i don't know why but ubuntu option was also there for selection.
            Drive layout:
            Code:
            Model: ATA ST9500423AS (scsi)Disk /dev/sda: 500GB
            Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
            Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End    Size    File system     Name  Flags
             1      1049kB  512MB  511MB   fat32                 boot
             2      512MB   496GB  495GB   ext4
             3      496GB   500GB  4179MB  linux-swap(v1)

Comment

Looks to me you're using EFI/GPT so you have to create the proper GRUB EFI files or remove GRUB altogether and install rEFInd. Search the forum - I don't know anything about EFI.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X