This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem getting Netgear WNA1100 to work

I've got a laptop with an internal G series adapter that I'm trying to improve performance with a USB N series adapter. I chose the Netgear WNA1100 since I saw good reports of its compatibility on the Ubuntu forums. I have installed ndiswrapper, ndisgtk and the other supporting packages. I have also acquired the inf and sys files from a WinXP install and copied them to the HDD. I proceeded to use the GUI ndiswrapper tool to install the driver for the adapter and it began working. I was able to switch to it from the Network Management applet and was transferring data over the Internet.

However, after I rebooted the computer, I have never been able to get the little beast to work again. I've tried 'modprobe ndiswrapper'. I've tried adding ndiswrapper to /etc/modules and rebooting, but nothing has worked. The ndis wrapper tool reports that the driver is installed and that the hardware is present. Running lsusb shows that the devise is plugged into Bus 002, Device 003 and correctly identifies what it is.

So the question is what do I need to do to get it to work?

Thanks for the help.
    Bill Lugg

Hm. Anytime I see the need to use ndiswrapper, I'm inclined to stay away. This indicates that the hardware does not have proper Linux kernel modules and instead relies on Windows drivers -- exactly the opposite of what I would consider good compatibility.

I don't have any experience with wi-fi dongles, so you may need to enlist the aid of Google to find recommendations for dongles that work with native Linux kernel modules.

Comment

When I had to use ndiswrapper in the distant past, I found that other drivers and things like network manager always threw a wrench into it. Try manually configuring your network and blacklisting (or uninstalling) any competing drivers.

This has a few things to say: http://askubuntu.com/questions/21606...u-server-12-04

Please Read Me

Comment

I think I'm going to take Steve Riley's advice and get an adapter that is supported natively. I found this list (http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...pter-list.html) that gives several suggestions. The new on arrives on 1 April - we'll see how it works.

Thanks for the pointers.
        Bill Lugg

Comment

Working...
        X