This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

13.10 vs. 12.04 LTS vs. 14.04 LTS Final Beta

Hi, I have a new computer that needs to be set up within the next few days. I want this computer to ultimately run Kubuntu 14.04 LTS Final Release. If you were in my situation, which of the following versions of Kubuntu would you install on this computer within the next few days?
    • 13.10 -- The latest Final Release.
    • 12.04 LTS -- The latest LTS release. Some users claim that they encounter fewer issues when upgrading between LTS releases.
    • 14.04 LTS Final Beta -- ETA is March 27. Some users claim that the biggest issues with beta releases are installation issues, and if a user can successfully install a beta release, then they're all set for the most part.

I'd really appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thanks for your time.

I would go for 14.04, because it is really stable already and will be released in a couple of weeks.

Comment

Install 14.04. I've been running it since the initial beta release and haven't found any show stoppers yet.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I upgraded both laptops (32-bit and 64-bit) from 13.10 to 14.04. You can read my commentary here. I've been very happy with 14.04.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Great, it's unanimous!

Thanks a lot, guys. I'm going to give Kubuntu 14.04 Final Beta a shot. I'm looking forward to Thursday!

Comment

I'd love to install 14.04 but I'm a truck driver and all my time at home is spent with my family (time well spent, if you ask me). But I will do it soon enough and I can't wait to see how well it does on my systems.

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
              I'd love to install 14.04 but I'm a truck driver and all my time at home is spent with my family
              Charles, it's funny that you mention driving. The reason why I want to install Kubuntu on my new computer this week and not wait for 14.04 Final Release is because we're moving cross-country next week and my old computer doesn't have a wireless NIC, so if I continue using my old computer, I won't be able to use hotel Wi-Fi. That would be bad because we're going to be stuck in a hotel for nearly two weeks while we wait for our new rental to become available. So if I install Kubuntu this week, living in a hotel will be bearable because I'll have Internet access and Kubuntu 14.04 to play with.

Comment

Originally posted by David2 View Post
                ... my old computer doesn't have a wireless NIC...
                If your old computer has a USB 2 port, a wireless N USB dongle will be cheap ($20 ish) and work well.

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                  If your old computer has a USB 2 port, a wireless N USB dongle will be cheap ($20 ish) and work well.
                  I previously attempted to use the following adapter with my old computer, but I couldn't get it to work:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EQT0YK2

To be fair to the manufacturer, my old computer is runny Debian Squeeze, which I upgraded to from Lenny. Lenny was the first Linux distro that I used as my primary OS, and my old computer is a barely-functioning mess of cruft and ignorant tweaks that's currently held together by digital duct tape and prayers to Linus. (I didn't upgrade to Wheezy because I feared doing so would result in total destruction.)

Comment

Originally posted by charles052 View Post
                    ... all my time at home is spent with my family (time well spent, if you ask me)....
                    Indeed. First things first.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Hello everyone. I want to say that I'm completely new into Linux World, I've used Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Linux Mint a few times before...and Kubuntu was my favourite. I want your oppinion, for installing Kubuntu, I'm not sure what to install, 12.04 long term support, or 13.10 ? I'm interested in : having a stable OS, support for drivers, i don't want problems in connecting to a wireless network and i want alternatives for programs, for example, i don't know what's the alternative for daemon tools in Linux World. Well, this being said, this is my PC : MSI CR-640 ( intel i3, 4gb ram, graphic card - intel hd graphics 3000 hd, and an Atheros network card ) ... sorry, i can't post links

Thanks in advance !

Comment

Originally posted by Bogdan View Post
                        Hello everyone. I want to say that I'm completely new into Linux World, I've used Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Linux Mint a few times before...and Kubuntu was my favourite. I want your oppinion, for installing Kubuntu, I'm not sure what to install, 12.04 long term support, or 13.10 ? I'm interested in : having a stable OS, support for drivers, i don't want problems in connecting to a wireless network and i want alternatives for programs, for example, i don't know what's the alternative for daemon tools in Linux World. Well, this being said, this is my PC : MSI CR-640 ( intel i3, 4gb ram, graphic card - intel hd graphics 3000 hd, and an Atheros network card ) ... sorry, i can't post links

Thanks in advance !
                        I would go with 14.04 , it is the next LTS and gets released the 17th I think (I'm using it now and you can to) make a live-DVD/USB and check it out without installing first .

as to daemon tools ,,,I dont know what that is ,,,,but you can be sure MOST things have a linux counter part

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You don't ned daemon tools in linux. You can mount ISO through the mount command.

Skickas från min iPhone via Tapatalk

Comment

A friend who owned a Gateway m675 17" laptop brought it by yesterday. His XP installation was throwing "XP support has ended" messages, and "Security Essentials" was deactivated.

It has a 32 bit Pentium III CPU and a Broadcom 4306 wireless chip. I plugged in an eth0 cable. I downloaded the 32 bit Kubuntu 14.04 ISO and burned and booted the CD. I manually configured the 60GB HD to make two partitions, a 58GB EXT4 and a 2GB swap partition. and selected the options to install 3rd party software and download and install updates.

About 40 minutes later the installation process was frozen on "Configuring bcmwl-kernel-source" at the 70% mark. After another 10 minutes I hit the power button and rebooted. On my next try I did not check the 3rd party and download options. At the 35 minute mark the install was done. I rebooted.

I began my usual configuration changes ... setting the Konsole to light yellow background and a 12 point font. That's when my first problem appeared. I discovered that the home account was read only, and I was getting HD sector errors. I couldn't do squat. If I let the system set idle for two or three minutes the video would fail, throwing up a black screen and locking out the keyboard.

I rebooted again but this time I chose the recovery menu. There I ran fsck. When that was done I ran the dpkg option to repair the packages. About 384 packages were downloaded and configurations that should have taken place during the second installation were done in the recovery mode.

I did reboot. It was an entirely different system. Stable. Everything worked except the Broadcom 4306 wirelesss. Using the lsmod command I saw the the "wl" broadcom driver was installed, but it wouldn't run the BCM4306 wireless chip. From a Konsole I ran
                            sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

which installed the b43.ko module. A "sudo modprobe -r wl" was refused so I blacklisted the "wl" driver and rebooted . Then I used "sudo modprobe b43.
                            The wireless refused to turn on.
                            I removed the b43 driver, blacklisted it and issued

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43legacy-installer

When it was done I used
                            sudo modprobe -r b43
                            sudo modprobe b43legacy

and the wireless light came on! I added b43legacy in /etc/modules and rebooted.

The wireless came on automatically.

Then I tried to play a DVD movie. No joy.
                            I used muon to install "kbutuntu-restricted-extras" and then from a Konsole I issued

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

and then VLC played DVD movies nicely. Dragon Player did not, so I removed it.

That's it. I've been running it since I installed Trusty Tahr and Trusty runs fine on that 10 year old laptop! During my post installation testing another 80 or so packages updated.
                            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 12, 2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

If that Deamon tool is indeed for mounting iso's there is a plug-in for the Dolphin file manager.

Go to the Dolphin settings and select Services, type mount iso in the search box and install the mount iso service tool.

Now you can simply right-click an iso and select service/mount iso.

Comment

Working...
                              X