This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer shuts down on its own

Hi, I have Lenovo ThinkPad E535, and I'm running 13.10, and since the update, my laptop has been shutting down with no warning, I'm peacefully working and the screen goes black and the computer is turned off.
    It's incredibly frustrating.
    How do I find what's going on, and how do I fix it?
    The system is up to date, I'm not doing anything extra.
    Please help.
    <3 there is no hope <3

That could be an overheating problem. Sometimes new kernel updates do funny things to fans and temperature sensors. You can check your temperatures by installing the program lm-sensors:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lm-sensors
    Once you have it installed, run sensors in a terminal.
    Code:
    sensors
    That should give you at least the temperature information for your CPU. What kind of numbers are you seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      That should give you at least the temperature information for your CPU. What kind of numbers are you seeing?
      Code:
       radeon-pci-0008
      Adapter: PCI adapter                                                                                                                                                                            
      temp1:        +74.0°C                                                                                                                                                                           

radeon-pci-0100
      temp1:        +84.5°C  

k10temp-pci-00c3
      temp1:        +88.2°C  (high = +70.0°C)
                             (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +99.0°C)

thinkpad-isa-0000
      Adapter: ISA adapter
      fan1:           0 RPM
      is that okay?
      <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

Your temperatures are a bit high, and it looks like your fan isnt working. When your laptop is on, can you hear your fans running? Can you feel any air coming into or out of the fan vents?

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          Your temperatures are a bit high, and it looks like your fan isnt working. When your laptop is on, can you hear your fans running? Can you feel any air coming into or out of the fan vents?
          a little bit, it does make noise, and hot air comes out
          is there anything I can do? or do I have to return/get it fixed at a repair shop?
          Last edited by 1999NBK; Mar 15, 2014, 05:32 AM.
          <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

some times the over heating can be from a runaway prosess ,,,,,, open a terminal and run "top" watch for something running a high CPU load constantly.
            if it is somthing that can be killed you can kill it from top by pressing the K key then entering the PID of the app/prosess and pressing enter .

allso check that the vents for the fan are not clogged by dust ,,,,,you can pick up a can of compressed air and blow the dust out .

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              some times the over heating can be from a runaway prosess ,,,,,, open a terminal and run "top" watch for something running a high CPU load constantly.
              if it is somthing that can be killed you can kill it from top by pressing the K key then entering the PID of the app/prosess and pressing enter .

allso check that the vents for the fan are not clogged by dust ,,,,,you can pick up a can of compressed air and blow the dust out .

VINNY
              I'm looking at the top thing now and nothing is higher than 5%CPU, but I'll keep looking at it. Also the laptop is just a few months old, so I don't think it can be that dusty, it doesn't look dusty when I look at the vents. But thanks
              <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

That video card is running hot. Its almost 200F. You should check with the manufacturer for the normal temp range. I think you're well over normal.

If it were mine, I'd disassemble it, blow out the dust, re-mount the heatsinks using new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 or better), and verify the fan is running correctly.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  That video card is running hot. Its almost 200F. You should check with the manufacturer for the normal temp range. I think you're well over normal.

If it were mine, I'd disassemble it, blow out the dust, re-mount the heatsinks using new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 or better), and verify the fan is running correctly.
                  I have no experience with taking apart computers, so I probably will have it fixed, the computer is still in warranty I think, thanks for the advice. It started happening just recently, as I got the new Kubuntu, could that maybe be the problem? Like drivers or something?
                  Sorry, I'm not too good with computers unfortunately. I just want to fix this, I like Kubuntu, but this sucks :/

So can it be a Kubuntu problem, or is it hardware only?
                  <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

It could be a vid card driver prob. ,,,,,,,, please check what hardware you have with the "lspci -v" comand and find the part about VGA compatible or graphics like this
                    Code:
                    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1425
                            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 42
                            Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
                            Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                            I/O ports at 4050 [size=8]
                            Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
                            Capabilities: <access denied>
                            Kernel driver in use: i915
                            Kernel modules: i915
                    and post it hear ,,,and check in Kickoff>applications>additional drivers and see if it offers any thing

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You definitely have a temperature problem and your computer is shutting itself off automatically to save your CPU and/or GPU and other components.

However, if you have a Windows side run it for a while and see what temps it gives, as a check.

If it gets hot on the Windows side then Oshunluvur is on target, and there is something definitely wrong with your cooling system, even if your computer is new. I'm betting Oshunluvur is right. I don't think it is due to Kubuntu 14.04. Running Trusty Tahr (14.04) my Acer is running around 15C cooler than it was while running Precise (12.04).

Here are my temps:
                      Code:
                      $ sensors
                      acpitz-virtual-0
                      Adapter: Virtual device
                      temp1:        +42.0°C  (crit = +102.0°C)

nouveau-pci-0100
                      temp1:            N/A  (high = +95.0°C, hyst =  +3.0°C)
                                             (crit = +105.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
                                             (emerg = +135.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
                      Physical id 0:  +41.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                      Core 0:         +41.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                      Core 1:         +41.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                      Core 2:         +39.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                      Core 3:         +36.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

pkg-temp-0-virtual-0
                      temp1:        +41.0°C
                      You're 30C higher than mine at idle. Under Precise I wouldn't see those temps unless I was driving Stellarium very hard, or playing full screen Minecraft. Now, under Tahr, I have to be running both the minecraft server and the client, and have several people logged in to see temps over 55-60C. With Tahr I have yet to see a 70C temp.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hm...I'm still a bit curious about the fan.

What's the output of
                        Code:
                        cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
                        Let's also check a few other things. What's the output of
                        Code:
                        lsmod | grep think

sudo find / -iname 'fan'

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          It could be a vid card driver prob. ,,,,,,,, please check what hardware you have with the "lspci -v" comand and find the part about VGA compatible or graphics like this
                          Code:
                          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                                  Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 1425
                                  Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 42
                                  Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
                                  Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                                  I/O ports at 4050 [size=8]
                                  Kernel driver in use: i915
                                  Kernel modules: i915
                          and post it hear ,,,and check in Kickoff>applications>additional drivers and see if it offers any thing

VINNY
                          Code:
                          00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7420G] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                                  Subsystem: Lenovo Device 5101
                                  Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 47
                                  Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                                  I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
                                  Memory at e8400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
                                  Kernel driver in use: radeon
                          and
                          Code:
                           01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                                  Subsystem: Lenovo Radeon HD 7670M
                                  Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 50
                                  Memory at e0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
                                  Memory at e8300000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=128K]
                                  I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
                                  [virtual] Expansion ROM at e8320000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                                  Kernel driver in use: radeon
                          could you elaborate on the second part? I don't have an 'additional drivers' option in my menu, do you mean like settings?
                          thanks
                          <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            You definitely have a temperature problem and your computer is shutting itself off automatically to save your CPU and/or GPU and other components.

However, if you have a Windows side run it for a while and see what temps it gives, as a check.

If it gets hot on the Windows side then Oshunluvur is on target, and there is something definitely wrong with your cooling system, even if your computer is new. I'm betting Oshunluvur is right. I don't think it is due to Kubuntu 14.04. Running Trusty Tahr (14.04) my Acer is running around 15C cooler than it was while running Precise (12.04).

Here are my temps:
                            Code:
                            $ sensors
                            acpitz-virtual-0
                            temp1:        +42.0°C  (crit = +102.0°C)

nouveau-pci-0100
                            temp1:            N/A  (high = +95.0°C, hyst =  +3.0°C)
                                                   (crit = +105.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
                                                   (emerg = +135.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
                            Physical id 0:  +41.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                            Core 0:         +41.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                            Core 1:         +41.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                            Core 2:         +39.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
                            Core 3:         +36.0°C  (high = +87.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

pkg-temp-0-virtual-0
                            temp1:        +41.0°C
                            You're 30C higher than mine at idle. Under Precise I wouldn't see those temps unless I was driving Stellarium very hard, or playing full screen Minecraft. Now, under Tahr, I have to be running both the minecraft server and the client, and have several people logged in to see temps over 55-60C. With Tahr I have yet to see a 70C temp.
                            I'm not running any heavy programs, just a browser and konsole. And I have only Kubuntu on this laptop.
                            <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Hm...I'm still a bit curious about the fan.

What's the output of
                              Code:
                              cat /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
                              Let's also check a few other things. What's the output of
                              Code:
                              lsmod | grep think

sudo find / -iname 'fan'
                              Code:
                              speed:          0
                              level:          0
                              Code:
                              thinkpad_acpi          73347  1 
                              nvram                  13986  1 thinkpad_acpi
                              snd                    60790  23 snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_hda_codec_hdmi,snd_hda_codec_conexant,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,thinkpad_acpi,snd_seq_device,snd_seq_midi
                              Code:
                              /sys/bus/acpi/drivers/fan
                              /proc/acpi/ibm/fan
                              How do I enable it?
                              Last edited by 1999NBK; Mar 15, 2014, 05:35 PM.
                              <3 there is no hope <3

Comment

Working...
                              X