X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia drivers totally broken.

Hi folks,

I've just spent the best part of a day trying to get the bloody nvidia drivers working again on my laptop.

I was chasing a few things not working properly so began playiing with the drives which resulted in no X every time I tried to use them.

I've purged all of the nvidia drivers from muon and command line (when I do that I get a boot using a generic driver (I think) that limits me to vga resolution).

Then, every time (well almost every time, it did work once on 304) I get a text boot and start x throws an error.

The x log has the following in it.

[ 69.566] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
    [ 69.566] (EE) NVIDIA(0): system's kernel log for additional error messages and
    [ 69.566] (EE) NVIDIA(0): consult the NVIDIA README for details.
    [ 69.566] (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    [ 69.566] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failing initialization of X screen 0
    [ 69.566] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
    [ 69.566] (II) UnloadSubModule: "shadow"
    [ 69.566] (II) UnloadSubModule: "wfb"
    [ 69.566] (II) UnloadSubModule: "fb"
    [ 69.566] (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    [ 69.566] (EE)
    Fatal server error:
    [ 69.566] (EE) no screens found(EE)
    [ 69.566] (EE)
    Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
    for help.
    [ 69.566] (EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
    [ 69.566] (EE)
    [ 69.573] (EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
    I have tried 304, 319-update and 334 from edges all with the same result.

This was working, I don't know if it's a kernel issues (now running 3.11.0-18-generic) or what's going on. I've switched back on the intel controler and am using that now, but I don't get my dual screens with this setup (no bumblee or optimus stuff installed either).

I've removed Xorg.conf, replaced it with a know good one, move .kde, cleared the apt-cache, done about everything I can think of, but every time I install the optional drivers now and reboot with the nivdia chip enabled.. it fails no run X.

Any ideal? I really don't want to have to re-install just to get this working.

Ta
    Peter.
    Last edited by pnunn; Mar 10, 2014, 02:30 AM. Reason: Fix version numbers

OK, just installed 331.49 from the nvidia site (not using package manager) and it seems to be working again.

Comment

Good! (Would you please mark this problem as [SOLVED]. Thanks!)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X