This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wobbly windows don't work on full-sized monitor

I hooked my Asus netbook up to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse. The monitor didn't work right until I went into System Settings. There I was able to set it to 1600x900, and it works pretty well. It's cool to be able to use this little netbook like a desktop computer.

I have not been able to adjust the brightness by clicking on the battery icon like you can when using the netbook's monitor. Fortunately, I was able to do so via the monitor's menu.

It's not a huge issue, but I have not been able to use wobbly windows. When I look in Desktop Effects, it shows that wobbly windows are turned on. They just don't work. I tried re-setting them to the defaults, but still no luck. I searched for a Linux driver for this monitor, but did not find one. The monitor is an HP S2031. Some sites said that a monitor typically would not have a driver, but rather it's your video card that should. This netbook is an Asus Eee PC 1015 PEB. According to its specs, its audio and video information is as follows:

Audio & Video

Graphics Processor Intel GMA 3150
    Memory Allocation Technology Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
    Max Allocated RAM Size 256.0 MB
    Camera Yes
    Resolution 0.3 Megapixel
    Sound Stereo speakers , Microphone
    Compliant Standards High Definition Audio
    I found a page about Linux support for it (http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-010512.htm) that said that most Linux distros already have driver support for it built in.

Is there some way I can use wobbly Windows when using this netbook as a desktop or do I just have to live without them?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

My guess is that low-end graphics card doesn't have the power/memory to run two monitors or that large of a resolution along with 3-d desktop effects. You should have gotten a message about slow performance and that desktop effects were being disabled.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      My guess is that low-end graphics card doesn't have the power/memory to run two monitors or that large of a resolution along with 3-d desktop effects. You should have gotten a message about slow performance and that desktop effects were being disabled.
      I did get a message to that effect. I guess I can live without that effect when using that little computer. The wobbly windows did work when using my Lenovo laptop with the monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It has 8 GB of memory, though, when not running MS Windows in VirtualBox. When running Windows, Kubuntu still has 4 GB of memory and the wobbly windows still work (in Kubuntu, but not in Windows).

Interestingly enough, I could not get a high enough resolution on the Lenovo without running a command in the terminal. Once I did the following, it was okay:

Code:
      xrandr --addmode VGA1 1366x768
      However, after shutting the computer down and restarting the next day, that resolution was no longer available until I ran the command again.
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

xrandr commands are not saved. You can effect a permanent fix by either creating an xorg.conf file or putting your xrandr commands somewhere they are executed like /etc/X11/Xsetup

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X