This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "Most Excellent" Conky Theme

Note to moderator: This post probably applies to more than just 13.10. If you do move it, please let me know where so I don't make the same mistake. Thanks.

Okay, I suppose I'm bragging a little. Since SuperKaramba seems to have "issues" with Saucy, I decided to give Conky a try. After 2 weeks of scripting, researching, updating, and more scripting, I finally have something I'm proud of. So, for anyone having trouble with Conky, feel free to edit my conky.rc for your own use.

There should be 2 attachments to this post: a graphic of my Conky panel, and the conky.rc which I renamed as conky-1.txt for uploading.
    Attached Files
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

VERY NICE!
    I especially like the weather notification. Great tip!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you sir. I think it took me way too many lines to format the WX the way I want it. Eventually, I'll get up to speed with grep, sed, and awk.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

I modified yours a bit to suit my installation and replaced my old .conkyrc with it.
        Thanks!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Below is my final .conkyrc script. The only differences are highlighted in bold. In the IP address portion I had to use "!" instead of the "/" for sed.
          Code:
          # My Conky configuration
          #
          # the list of variables has been removed from this file in favour
          # of keeping the documentation more maintainable.
          # Check http://conky.sf.net for an up-to-date-list.
          #
          #fonts

use_xft yes
          xftfont comicsansms:size=10
          xftalpha 0.8
          uppercase no

update_interval 5.0
          total_run_times 0
          double_buffer yes
          no_buffers yes

own_window yes
          own_window_type normal 
          own_window_transparent yes
          own_window_argb_visual yes
          #own_window_colour black
          own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

alignment bottom_right
          minimum_size 300 800
          maximum_width 350
          gap_x 10
          gap_y 60

#border info
          draw_shades no
          draw_outline no
          draw_borders no
          draw_graph_borders yes
          stippled_borders 8
          border_margin 4
          border_width 1

# Default colors and also border colors
          default_color LightBlue
          default_shade_color White
          default_outline_color White
          color1 White
          color2 LightGray

# Variables
          cpu_avg_samples 2
          net_avg_samples 1
          override_utf8_locale yes

format_human_readable
          short_units

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about?  This only affects certain objects.
          use_spacer right

# stuff after 'TEXT' will be formatted on screen
          ############################################################################
          TEXT

########## SYSTEM ##############
          ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}SYSTEM ${hr 2}$color$font
          ${font}${color2}Name:  ${color}$nodename 
          ${color2}Kernel: ${color}$sysname $kernel on $machine

[B]${color2}OS: ${color}KUBUNTU ${alignr}${color}${execi 6000 cat /etc/os-release|grep 'PRETTY_NAME'|awk '{print $2" "$3}'}
          ${color2}VERSION:${alignr}${color}${execi 6000 cat /etc/os-release|grep 'VERSION='|awk '{print $1}'|sed 's/VERSION="//'|sed 's/,//'}[/B]
          ${color2}GUI:${alignr}${color}${execi 6000 konsole -version|grep 'KDE' |awk '{print $1" "$4}'}
          ${color2}Total Uptime:${alignr} ${color}${uptime_short}

########## CPU ###############
          ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}CPU ${hr 2}$color$font
          ${font}${execi 6000 cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep -m 1 'model name'|awk '{print $4" "$5" "$6" "$7" "$8}'}
          ${color2}Cores: ${color}${execi 6000 cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep -m 1 'cpu cores'|awk '{print $4}'}   
          ${color2}Temp: ${color}${exec sensors|grep 'Core 0'|awk '{print $3}'} 
          ${color2}Load: ${color} $cpu% ${cpubar 12}

######### GPU ###############
          ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}GPU ${hr 2}$color$font
          ${color2}Model: ${color}Intel HD 4000
          ${color2}Temp: ${color}${exec sensors|grep -m 1 'temp1:'|awk '{print $2}'}

######### MEMORY ###############
          ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}MEMORY ${hr 2}$color$font
          ${color2}RAM:  ${color}$memperc%    ${alignr}$mem / $memmax
          #${color2}Swap:  ${color}$swapperc%     ${alignr}$swap / $swapmax

######### NETWORK ###############
          ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}NETWORK ${hr 2}$color$font
          [B]${color2}IP on wlan0: ${color}${alignr}${execi 3600 curl -s http://192.168.1.1|grep 'wan_ipaddr'|awk '{print $1,$2}'|sed 's/<span id="wan_ipaddr">//'|sed 's!</span>&nbsp;!!'}[/B]

${color2}Down ${color}$alignr ${downspeedf wlan0} kb/s
          ${color2}Up   ${color}$alignr ${upspeedf wlan0} kb/s

######### WX ####################
          ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}LOCAL WX${hr 1}$color$font
          [B]${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |grep 'LIN'|awk '{print $1,$2,$3,$7}'}
          ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 2p|awk '{print $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7}'}
          ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 3p|awk '{print $1,$2,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9}'}
          ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 5p}
          ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 6p}
          ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 7p}
          ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 8p}
          ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 9p}
          ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 10p|awk '{print $1,$2,$3,$4}'}[/B]
          #

Comment

Hello

I like the look of this! Please excuse my ignorance on this, I have installed conky, but where does conky.rc go so that this maybe used and how to kick it off?

Thank you in advance

Bukunut
            There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

It is ".conkyrc" (note the period, indicating a "hidden" file) and it goes in your home directory. ~/
              Once you place the .conkyrc file in your home directory then in a Konsole run the command conky.

Comment

GreyGeek

Absolute thanks for your quick reply!! Well, I love trying new things, so time to read and get this script changed to stop errors I guess...

"Conky: /home/stephen/.conkyrc: 38: no such configuration: 'border_margin'
                Conky: desktop window (1c00133) is subwindow of root window (26c)
                Conky: window type - normal
                Conky: drawing to created window (0x1200002)
                Conky: drawing to double buffer
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 185: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 247: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 279: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 301: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 386: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 466: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 533: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 627: saw number, expected matrix
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 1309: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 1440: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                Fontconfig warning: "/home/stephen/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf", line 1518: Having multiple values in <test> isn't supported and may not work as expected
                sh: 1: sensors: not found"

Never worked out how to get rid of the fontconfig error, any ideas?
                AND once again, thank you and many thanks to MHUMM2!!!
                Bukunut
                Last edited by Bukunut; Mar 08, 2014, 09:34 AM.
                There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.

Comment

sh: 1: sensors: not found"
                  Do you have lm-sensors installed? "sensors" is in that package.
                  How about curl, have you installed it?
                  And, libxft2 as well?

Comment

GreyGeek

Yes thank you GreyGeek, they had been loaded now, been looking at other scripts and coding and find bits to change or add
                    Never messed with conky before and it has been great fun, thank you for opening this thread Mhumm2!
                    Bukunut

Comment

Since you guys are showing off your conky's - here's my latest. I tried to make it look a little like the Ubuntu symbol.
                      Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

NICE, Oshunluvur!
                        (Now I'm going to have to figure out how you put the circular progress bars.)

And, a BIG THANK YOU to mhumm2, for posting a pic of his design and the .conkyrc script. Mine was too busy and packed too much unnecessary info into too small a space. Your layout is beautiful.

I added some lines which show available HD space and fixed some display errors using additional sed commands. Here is the .conkyrc script:
                        Code:
                        # My Conky configuration
                        #
                        # the list of variables has been removed from this file in favour
                        # of keeping the documentation more maintainable.
                        # Check http://conky.sf.net for an up-to-date-list.
                        #
                        #fonts

use_xft yes
                        xftfont comicsansms:size=10
                        xftalpha 0.8
                        uppercase no

update_interval 5.0
                        total_run_times 0
                        double_buffer yes
                        no_buffers yes

own_window yes
                        own_window_type normal 
                        own_window_transparent yes
                        own_window_argb_visual yes
                        #own_window_colour black
                        own_window_hints undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager

alignment bottom_right
                        minimum_size 300 800
                        maximum_width 350
                        gap_x 10
                        gap_y 60

#border info
                        draw_shades no
                        draw_outline no
                        draw_borders no
                        draw_graph_borders yes
                        stippled_borders 8
                        border_margin 4
                        border_width 1

# Default colors and also border colors
                        default_color LightBlue
                        default_shade_color White
                        default_outline_color White
                        color1 White
                        color2 LightGray

# Variables
                        cpu_avg_samples 2
                        net_avg_samples 1
                        override_utf8_locale yes

format_human_readable
                        short_units

# Add spaces to keep things from moving about?  This only affects certain objects.
                        use_spacer right

# stuff after 'TEXT' will be formatted on screen
                        ############################################################################
                        TEXT

########## SYSTEM ##############
                        ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}SYSTEM ${hr 2}$color$font
                        ${font}${color2}Name:  ${color}$nodename 
                        ${color2}Kernel: ${color}$sysname $kernel on $machine

${color2}OS: ${color}KUBUNTU ${alignr}${color}${execi 6000 cat /etc/os-release|grep 'PRETTY_NAME'|awk '{print $2" "$3}'}
                        ${color2}VERSION:${alignr}${color}${execi 6000 cat /etc/os-release|grep 'VERSION='|awk '{print $1}'|sed 's/VERSION="//'|sed 's/,//'}
                        ${color2}GUI:${alignr}${color}${execi 6000 konsole -version|grep 'KDE' |awk '{print $1" "$4}'}
                        ${color2}Total Uptime:${alignr} ${color}${uptime_short}

########## CPU ###############
                        ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}CPU ${hr 2}$color$font
                        ${font}${execi 6000 cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep -m 1 'model name'|awk '{print $4" "$5" "$6" "$7" "$8}'}
                        ${color2}Cores: ${color}${execi 6000 cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep -m 1 'cpu cores'|awk '{print $4}'}   
                        ${color2}Temp: ${color}${exec sensors|grep 'Core 0'|awk '{print $3}'} 
                        ${color2}Load: ${color} $cpu% ${cpubar 12}

######### GPU ###############
                        ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}GPU ${hr 2}$color$font
                        ${color2}Model: ${color}Intel HD 4000
                        ${color2}Temp: ${color}${exec sensors|grep -m 1 'temp1:'|awk '{print $2}'}

######### MEMORY ###############
                        ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}MEMORY ${hr 2}$color$font
                        ${color2}RAM:  ${color}$memperc%    ${alignr}$mem / $memmax
                        #${color2}Swap:  ${color}$swapperc%     ${alignr}$swap / $swapmax

[B]######## HD SPACE ####################
                        ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}HD SPACE ${hr 2}$color$font
                        ${color2}ROOT: ${color}${fs_free_perc /}% (${fs_free /}/${fs_size /})
                        ${color}${fs_bar 5,150 /}
                        ${color2}HOME: ${color}${fs_free_perc /home}% (${fs_free /home}/${fs_size /home})
                        ${color}${fs_bar 5,150 /home}[/B]

######### NETWORK ###############
                        ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}NETWORK ${hr 2}$color$font
                        ${color2}IP on wlan0: ${color}${alignr}${execi 3600 curl -s http://192.168.1.1|grep 'wan_ipaddr'|awk '{print $1,$2}'|sed 's/<span id="wan_ipaddr">//'|sed 's!</span>&nbsp;!!'}
                        ${color2}Down ${color}$alignr ${downspeedf wlan0} kb/s
                        ${color2}Up   ${color}$alignr ${upspeedf wlan0} kb/s

######### WX ####################
                        ${color CC9900}${font Arial:style=Bold}LOCAL WX${hr 1}$color$font
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |grep 'LIN'|awk '{print $1,$2,$3,$7}'}
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 2p|awk '{print $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7}'}
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 3p|awk '{print $1,$2,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9}'}
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 5p}
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 6p}
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 7p}
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 8p}
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 9p}
                        ${execi 3600 curl -s http://weather.noaa.gov/pub/data/observations/metar/decoded/KLNK.TXT |sed -n 10p|awk '{print $1}'|sed 's/ob://'}
                        #
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 09, 2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

GG: Just google for and download conky_rings.lua, add these lines to your conkyrc:

# Lua Load #
                          lua_load ~/.conky/conky/clock_rings.lua
                          lua_draw_hook_pre clock_rings

and edit to hearts content. It's pretty well remarked and easy enough to figure out.

Please Read Me

Comment

GreyGeek

Unless your /home is on a separate drive wouldn't the' /' and the ' /home' be the same reading?
                            And only for point of interest, you could change to ' /home/stephen' ? (well for me anyhow...eg. 'user' )

Bukuntu
                            Last edited by Bukunut; Mar 10, 2014, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bukunut View Post
                              GreyGeek

Unless your /home is on a separate drive wouldn't the' /' and the ' /home' be the same reading?
                              And only for point of interest, you could change to ' /home/stephen' ? (well for me anyhow...eg. 'user' )

Bukuntu
                              (Answering for GG) Most of us have a separate /home. It's the simplest way to protect your data from accidentally erasure. In my case, I use a single btrfs container so although my home resides in a separate subvolume, the available space is the same as root so there's no point in showing both.

In answer to your other question: while there's no reason not to monitor /home/stephen vs. /home, the reported free space will be the same unless /home and /home/stephen are on separate filesystems.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X