Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired internet connection fails in Kubuntu 13.10 after restart from Windows 8

I use alternatively Windows 8 and Kubuntu 13.10 on my laptop. I have recently found out that if I use Windows 8 and then restart and boot Kubuntu 13.10 (either live, or installed), I cannot access the internet. Skype logs in, but does not connect, Firefox tries to load a page for a while, shows the page title in the title bar and then says that the connection has been interrupted. I launched the "ifconfig" command in Konsole and in the output I saw that the connection "eth0" was active, there were even some packets received and sent, but in the received packets there were several tens of errors (the number of errors after the amount of data received). I tested the network connection in Windows 8 again, it worked well. Then I shut down the machine completely, I switched it on again (i. e. no simple restart without switching off this time), I booted into Kubuntu and the internet connection was OK. Can anyone explain why this happens?

Hi mate,

Since you're using Windows 8, I'm assuming your computer has UEFI bios.

Windows 8 never shuts down "properly" by default, it does a kind of semi-hibernate thing where it caches some files.

Have you turned off Windows 8's Fast Startup in the BIOS? A complete guess, but maybe the firmware still thinks that Windows is controlling the ethernet and won't hand over control to Kubuntu, or some such nonsense.
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X