This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used software updater, now keyboard and mouse [ both USB ] don't work

I'm a Linux USER, not an OS guy, but have been using 13.10 for a year or so now and have been pretty happy with it - UNTIL
    ( these details are from memory, and may not be completely accurate )
    The system said I had updates to install, so I did it ( on Thursday, Feb 12 ).

At the end there was some message about Firefox 25(?) update not being complete.
    Firefox said I needed to restart for (? plugins to be activated ?), so I did.

I got to the login screen and neither my keyboard nor mouse would respond. That was reproducible ( I had to power off to try again ).

I searched these forums for something about recovery mode, or safe mode - and found the "hold down Shift during boot ) to get to Grub, and then to select recovery mode. Grub didn't show a "Recovery mode" at that point. but I could use the keyboard to move the cursor.
    That post also included a suggestion to edit the grub script. I decided not to do.

The Grub screen included an "advanced" selection, and when I selected that, I was presented with a character mode menu that included "Recovery Mode" but at that point, again the keyboard wouldn't respond. I couldn't do anything.

I killed the power again, and then edited the grub scripts to change the linux line to end with "single" instead of "quiet splash $vt_handoff"
    I continued the boot from there and after a bit ( ~100 lines ) of output that stopped, with the last line's being:

[ 2.810295] [drm] Initialized nouveau 1.1.1 20120801 for 0000:01:000 on minor 0

At that point, everything seems to have hung up - > 5 minutes with no change, Numlock on keyboard is unresponsive.

Is there any way to get things to work?

Thanks,

I also have a laptop running 13.10 - that I HAVEN'T done the most recent update on yet. and it works as expected ( I use a USB keyboard and mouse on that as well ).

If you boot the computer with the mouse and keyboard disconnected, then connect them at the logon screen, do they work in this case?

Comment

Nope. The red led on the mouse comes on, but that's the only sign of life. neither of the X-lock lights on the keyboard respond to keypresses either.

I did the same checks with a keyboard and mouse from another computer, with identical results.

Comment

Working...
      X